Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624318 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3495 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:08 pm »

neuter the cats so they cant breed, or since gentalia wont be in a release any time soon

Come on, they had this in the 1400's and earlier, right..? ..right....? At least neutering, they just sort of stick right out there and it'll keep the chances down!

Well, another reason behind my bringing this up is so that the player has more control over simple genetic modifications. That may initially not make any sense, but think of it this way: Selective breeding.

Let's say I want to specifically breed black horses (I'm assuming that at some point animals will have at least basic fur colours, seeing as we're going to be getting complex physical descriptions of dwarves). What's the best way to do this? Neuter all the chestnut/ashen/whatever ones. Some may think of that as a bit barbaric, but something similar is done, every day, in the wool industries. Stud rams are selected based on their wool (and most likely other factors, of course), and set free amongst the ewes. Should an ewe then give birth to a male, the male is then typically neutered, so that he isn't able to mess up the quality of the wool and so forth. Or something like that.
Another old trick is to attach different colored piece of chalk or other dye to the belly of each stud, so you can figure out the sire of each lamb by which color mark shows up on the ewe's back.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: August 04, 2009, 10:59:12 pm »

Any of those have anything to do with Military dwarves putting back on their clothes after having them ripped off?
I hate nude fortresses.
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: August 04, 2009, 11:03:28 pm »

Equipment got a rewrite and it should hopefully work now.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: August 05, 2009, 01:06:33 am »

Alternately, there could be an animal handling job related to it, and a stable building in which you could keep your prized horses separate from the rest..

Well, breeding or not there should be stables and more animal keeping jobs.
I'm certain a job relating to neutering animals will end very, very badly, speaking as a modder.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: August 05, 2009, 01:30:09 am »

Yeah, I remember suggesting neutering before. It's totally in line with the tech era, as far as I remember.

Eunuchs have also played such an enduring and prominent role in history that castration might be useful for civilized creatures too.  But there are complications of course, mostly of the "how explicit should this get" kind.  Toady mentioned that "chopping off the little warrior and having it flop against a wall or something is probably too distracting to my nation for me to include in the vanilla game", and castration could end up in that territory if it's used by the humans as a grisly public punishment or whatever.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: August 05, 2009, 01:37:25 am »

I'm actually quite fine with the whole "In DF, everything reproduces via spores" idea. No matter how you swing it, it is really, really, really difficult to reproduce sex in any form of video game without it being either comedic or just plain out of place. Even more so when it's all ASCII.

I'm not against sex or anything related to sex one day being accepted as a valid form of storytelling in games, but it won't be in our lifetimes. Like good friendships, introducing sex at this point of the relationship with the game will only ruin it for many of us, no matter how promising it sounds in the beginning.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: August 05, 2009, 01:56:36 am »

Another old trick is to attach different colored piece of chalk or other dye to the belly of each stud, so you can figure out the sire of each lamb by which color mark shows up on the ewe's back

Ugh, why does this sound so interesting. I want to be a bit disgusted but dang it sounds ingenius.

My poor fragile mind is being overloaded.

it's used by the humans as a grisly public punishment

Well interestingly there is a lot of info that I was ALMOST about to get into... until I realise it is shocking enough to cause a derail.

Ugh I have a question for Toady but it practically a suggestion in execution that I might as well include it in my old artifact topic. (It was about if Artifacts would be able to enhance things Quality cannot outside of powers)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: August 05, 2009, 02:11:28 am »

Again, I disagree. I think the game being ASCII makes it easier to deal with touchy subjects. Since by definition it doesn't need to be graphic. I don't expect to see an "Urist and Mimkot got it ON!" announcement or anything. For intelligent creatures would probably just be assumed to happen when they a) are in love, and b) sleep in the same tile

For animals, I do think they should a least cross paths, the spore thing is silly. Now I don't seriously expect to see neutering in the game, but we should at least have the ability to control breeding by keeping them physically separate.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:22:09 am by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: August 05, 2009, 02:21:04 am »

Now I don't seriously expect to see neutering in the game, but we should at least have the control breeding by keeping them physically separate.

It's going in one way or another.

# Req509, CASTRATING ANIMALS, (Future): Dwarves should be able to castrate male animals. Spaying female animals might be beyond the ability of dwarves to do reliably.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: August 05, 2009, 02:29:36 am »

# Req509, CASTRATING ANIMALS, (Future): Dwarves should be able to castrate male animals. Spaying female animals might be beyond the ability of dwarves to do reliably.
Huh. I wonder if it will have any other effects, like making them less aggressive.
Akur Akir Akam!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: August 05, 2009, 02:36:29 am »

Huh. I wonder if it will have any other effects, like making them less aggressive.
making it possible to neuter a blooded dragon for the sake of keeping it as a pet?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: August 05, 2009, 02:37:04 am »

Again, I disagree. I think the game being ASCII makes it easier to deal with touchy subjects. Since by definition it doesn't need to be graphic.

Hell, just look a Liberal Crime Squad.
!!&!!

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: August 05, 2009, 03:01:56 am »

Again, I disagree. I think the game being ASCII makes it easier to deal with touchy subjects. Since by definition it doesn't need to be graphic. I don't expect to see an "Urist and Mimkot got it ON!" announcement or anything. For intelligent creatures would probably just be assumed to happen when they a) are in love, and b) sleep in the same tile

For animals, I do think they should a least cross paths, the spore thing is silly. Now I don't seriously expect to see neutering in the game, but we should at least have the ability to control breeding by keeping them physically separate.

Exactly, a simple effect like that would be more than enough, and a positive thought alluding to it like "Urist had a romantic encounter recently." would be enough, along with the requirement (except for certain creatures, maybe) that they have at least physical proximity, and a bedroom for the dwarves in question.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: August 05, 2009, 03:05:14 am »

If anyone knows this please answer
Q for toady:
When dwarves give birth now will they first try to go to the hospital area to do so?  Or will Any old place still suffice?

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: August 05, 2009, 04:09:45 am »

Exactly. This is a great way to handle sex in DF, imo.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1065