Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624090 times)

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3435 on: August 03, 2009, 08:26:19 am »

Yay for completed item!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: August 03, 2009, 10:49:21 am »

Looking at the dev list, it looks like the creature raws have been completed from the future.

Does that mean Toady can take tommorrow off?
Say again?
He hacked of some superfuous toes the second of the eighth month... on my calendar that's yesterday.
also, the raws will never be complete in Toadys lifetime. mwahahaha.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: August 03, 2009, 11:01:28 am »

So...
Can situations arise in which creatures mutually worship each other?
Does it have to be a complicated relationship involving 3+ creatures for such a situation to arise?

Does worship do anything other than stroke the worshiped creature's ego?
Do worshiping being get a happy thought from meeting their worshiped creature/deity?

...I get a  distinct feeling some of these are old questions. :-\
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: August 03, 2009, 12:06:35 pm »

edit: not saying that this is in the game

Depending on certain traits, the worshipped object should gain power with the amount of followers and the time it's been worshipped. Or, possibly, something not getting powers at all and turning out to be a sham.. I think worship should produce some sort of number that can enhance the entity being worshiped (if it's got the right tags or whatever).

James

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: August 03, 2009, 01:28:45 pm »

edit: not saying that this is in the game

Depending on certain traits, the worshipped object should gain power with the amount of followers and the time it's been worshipped. Or, possibly, something not getting powers at all and turning out to be a sham.. I think worship should produce some sort of number that can enhance the entity being worshiped (if it's got the right tags or whatever).

The concept of gods being powered by worship shows up a lot in fantasy literature, but not at all in myth or legend (as far as I know). Personally, I am not really a fan of it, and hope that Dwarf Fortress doesn't go this route.

Speaking of gods and prayer, maybe that champion thought of the Bronze Colossus as a god of war, and that trying to kill it was the highest form of worship. That's how I prefer to see it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:36:38 pm by James »

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: August 03, 2009, 01:43:43 pm »

Hmm, I think the relationship between gods' powers and their worshippers should probably influence (or be influenced by) whatever system Toady ultimately chooses to simulate magic. Since magic won't be for what will almost certainly be a few years at least, it's probably more likely that magic will be influenced by religion than vice versa.

On a completely different note, we need someone good at art to illustrate some of the weirder bugs that come up in development. Toed mermaids! (Toedy ones?)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: August 03, 2009, 01:56:28 pm »

He mentioned mermaids. Are they a new addition?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: August 03, 2009, 02:00:43 pm »

No.  No they are not.

...Loads and loads of toes and toes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: August 03, 2009, 02:27:01 pm »

I heard George Washington had, like, 40 damn.... toes..... erm...

Good Night Everybody!!!

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: August 03, 2009, 05:13:30 pm »

from the latest devnotes..... so after fighting and losing 3 times, he starts worshipping his enemy.... then carries on to fight another four times? that's some dedication to a goal right there
Perhaps the "worship" was more of an obsession, causing him to ceaselessly follow the beast and try to rid the world of it.

I was thinking that myself... some sort of reverse stockholm syndrome perhaps.

Worship does not always mean "Let's build a temple and sing the praises of Flamethrower McArsonist the Almighty Dragon!" It can just as appropriately mean "OH SHI- It's Flamethrower McArsonist! Quick, get together a sacrifice and maybe he won't burn our town down again this year!"
At least that's the way I see the megabeast worship happening as it is now.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: August 03, 2009, 10:03:01 pm »

The concept of gods being powered by worship shows up a lot in fantasy literature, but not at all in myth or legend (as far as I know).

Well, it's probably just a reversal of reality: The most powerful/prolific gods are worshiped the most, which would probably be the case in DF anyway in regards to megabeasts, the ones showing up the most get worshiped the most.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: August 03, 2009, 10:19:28 pm »

The concept of gods being powered by worship shows up a lot in fantasy literature, but not at all in myth or legend (as far as I know).

Well, it's probably just a reversal of reality: The most powerful/prolific gods are worshiped the most, which would probably be the case in DF anyway in regards to megabeasts, the ones showing up the most get worshiped the most.

That's not a reversal at all. IRL, gods have no power whatever outside of their worshipers. Seeing as this is a fantasy game, one might expect to see gods who actually had powers. The idea is to maintain the same basic dynamic while making things more interesting.

Another appealing aspect of the worship-powered god model is that it explains why gods care if they are worshiped. Otherwise that's a little puzzling. Here you are some omnipotent being, why would you care what some puny human (or dwarf) thinks?

That said, this works best as a behind the scenes mechanic IMHO. Inhabitants of the world would most likely not understand that gods need their faith/worship for power.
Akur Akir Akam!

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: August 03, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »

Questions for Toady:

1)  With the new material system, squad update, preliminary combat system, and formations, I'd like to address an issue.  It seems that single, highly-trained creatures receive excessive combat bonuses at high skill levels, meaning that even when surrounded by larger, powerful, somewhat skilled enemies they cannot be touched.  Is there any possibility of granting additional advantages to enemies with massive numerical strength?  Maybe additional rear and side attack bonuses, maybe a horde bonus (especially for antmen, ratmen, etc)?  Legendary-level dwarves are just too untouchable right now.

2)  What is planned for the caves/explorable areas in adventure mode for this release?  I know they have to be redone; any chance of incorporating some of the new fun stuff into adventure mode?  I'd love to see the new HFS skulking around the depths of an abandoned fortress upon exploration.

3)  Keep up the good work!  Your effort is truly a singular and commendable endeavor; already an achievement that would put any mainstream game developer to shame.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: August 03, 2009, 10:58:39 pm »

3)  Keep up the good work!  Your effort is truly a singular and commendable endeavor; already an achievement that would put any mainstream game developer to shame.

That's not a question. :P

Anyways, I've been thinking about the whole selective-killing (the correct word fails me now) thing and the player being able to set specific targets for their military dwarves, and it got me thinking.

Toady: Will the player be able to designate their own dwarves as targets?
Also, have you considered allowing the player to possibly be able to order the dwarves to only damage a target to a certain point, as in, to rough them up a little, but not kill them?

The main point of the other part is that I might not necessarily have to kill beardless dwarves, but simply damage them to a point where they will never be able to breed, but still be able to haul stone. Which, in some ways, is rather brutal, but in others, is quite efficient.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: August 04, 2009, 12:30:01 am »

Toady: Will the player be able to designate their own dwarves as targets?
Also, have you considered allowing the player to possibly be able to order the dwarves to only damage a target to a certain point, as in, to rough them up a little, but not kill them?

The main point of the other part is that I might not necessarily have to kill beardless dwarves, but simply damage them to a point where they will never be able to breed, but still be able to haul stone. Which, in some ways, is rather brutal, but in others, is quite efficient.

Toady said, somewhere, that your own dwarves will not be valid targets for kill orders.  Whether or not you can "just rough somebody up" I do not know.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 1065