Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3623995 times)

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3375 on: August 01, 2009, 12:20:33 am »

...As far as sex goes, the action itself needs no more note than it does now, except maybe some background work (no spores unless appropriate) and no direction except in the case of breeding livestock. That would be cool even if it worked with a small pool of predefined traits.. The genetics side is more interesting, and probably more DF appropriate.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: August 01, 2009, 12:30:06 am »

Well, i don't want a sex "battle log" in DF either, but making creeatures at least share the same tile for the buttsecksing action would make it far more realistic.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: August 01, 2009, 12:36:10 am »

Umm.. they still reproduce by spores, I don't recall that being changed. So the only contraceptive the female dwarves really need are beards for "filtering" spores.

Although I hear they're all baldfaced next release, so I'm not sure what methods should be implemented instead. False beards for "chaste" girls?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: August 01, 2009, 12:38:07 am »

baldfaced next release
I'm usually a purist when it comes to DF, but I may have to mod that one..

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: August 01, 2009, 01:52:00 am »

baldfaced next release
hahaha, You could favor bearded dwarfs.

Player - Ahh a bearded soapmaker - I'll just make him a miner
Player - ohh a non bearded miner - I'll just draft him.

Of course this borders on nazism and eugenics. I believe Toady mentioning making a way for the game to recognize you forceful selecting dwarfs and making them rebel.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: August 01, 2009, 02:09:21 am »

forceful selecting dwarfs and making them rebel.

The Moria Cheeseparty! No annihilation without coagulation!!

/throws milk barrels into magma

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: August 01, 2009, 02:37:13 am »

baldfaced next release

Just to be clear -- it's only the females that are unbearded by default in the next version.  And all you'll have to do to enable female beards is add brackets around a line Toady left in the raws for just that purpose.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: August 01, 2009, 04:51:14 am »

... birth control and related discussion...

In the event World Gen left your local dwarf civ rather short on population and also rolled some very protestant-themed religious and moral values, might we not want to encourage a little breeding?  In defense of training up the Legendary Sexer and all the assorted Erotic Stonecrafting.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: August 01, 2009, 05:10:26 am »

This is an area of discussion I think we should go away from.

This is still a good idea by the way, insofar as people aren't able to discuss it tastefully.  This thread is part of the public face of Bay 12 and gets more views than anything else on the forum, so it behooves us all not to be that kid who can't stop snickering in sex ed.

Here's a dev item that implies that dwarves won't always reproduce by spores:
# Bloat46, PROPER PREGNANCY, (Future): Currently creatures become pregnant from a distance, although it does do a gender check at least.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:12:23 am by Footkerchief »

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: August 01, 2009, 09:15:03 am »

I'm not sure how much use making sex a skill would be. The only realistic purpose I could come up with for it would be to have a higher-skilled dwarf giving both dwarves a better happy thought. "Kesham has been ecstatic lately. She had a wonderful night with her husband recently." Of course it would be hard to find a good description of the skill. "Novice Sexer"? "Legendary In Bed"?

The simulation of sex could be made a little more realistic, if hopefully not too graphic. A chance of pregnancy and a happy thought when two dwarves sleep in the same bed (unless we're going to have gay dwarves, in which case it would just be a happy thought). A contraceptive industry might work too. I could imagine it being particularly useful if you could allocate contraceptives to certain dwarves as a sort of eugenics thing. That might be giving the player a little too much control. It would also be immoral, but then we can pour lava on traders.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: August 01, 2009, 10:15:42 am »

Besides, what would they be called anyway? Legendary Sexer?

Casadwarfa.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: August 01, 2009, 10:31:54 am »

I think this discussion does not belong in this thread, it might do in some suggestion thread. I think the way Toady has planed is probably the best.

I do think there might be an idea to have a "romantic" social skill that mostly covers stuff like kissing and charm and pickup lines but could have (invisible) effects along these lines as well, but this is more brainstorming than an actual suggestion.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: August 01, 2009, 10:42:43 am »

Humans have bearded women
Why shouldn't dwarves?

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: August 01, 2009, 11:38:11 am »

Just to be clear -- it's only the females that are unbearded by default in the next version.  And all you'll have to do to enable female beards is add brackets around a line Toady left in the raws for just that purpose.

Oh, of course. If he was considering beardless males, well..A strongly worded letter would be in order.

Casadwarfa.

Discworld series has a character just like that, his name is Casanunda.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: August 01, 2009, 11:51:36 am »

To be honest, I would rather have Dwarves with relationships that are more morphic than cast in stone FOR ETERNITY before any other kind of fix to the romantic side of the system. Give me a romantic interest that causes minor drama instead of a marriage. Give me a dwarf who starts falling in love with someone other than their partner and has to figure out what to do about it. Give me a marriage that is great at first but turns into something else down the road that forces them to choose whether they stay together or not. Give me a marriage that starts out completely political, but turns into true love down the road. Give me a bunch of dwarves having a conversation about the love-lives of the rich and powerful in their community. Give me a scenario that would never happen in the real world simply because that sort of culture isn't present.

In short, let's get relationships simulated to the Dwarf Fortress standard. :)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1065