Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3623874 times)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3240 on: July 26, 2009, 07:18:27 pm »

Or Aikido. There are a lot of martial arts based on wrestling.

I have a question that has already been sort of raised - how much injury is it going to take to stop a dwarf from being able to teach things? I mean if my legendary axedwarf manages to lose both his arms (in seperate incidents I guess, or he'd be dead) he should still be able to teach people how to use an axe, although not as well as before.

Also, will the teachers be teaching shield use and armour use as well?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: July 26, 2009, 07:28:12 pm »

Wrestling is any fighting style primely based on grabs.
And i guess losing arms/legs could cripple a dwarf's ability to teach, but only brain damage could make them unable to do so. Anyone with the ability to think and talk properly is a teacher in potential, though they won't be as efficient as a fully unharmed one.

Course, that depends on what said teacher is supposed to teach, teaching people to fight using only your voice to do so should be very hard, but possible.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:30:58 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: July 26, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »

It should also depend on the dwarf, I guess. A dwarf who has no problem expressing himself would find it a lot easier, whereas a dwarf who is not so eloquent would probably find it very difficult and frustrating.

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: July 26, 2009, 07:37:44 pm »

Wrestling(by which I mostly mean like greco-roman wrestling) is a martial art, as is archery and pretty much any group of combat skills.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: July 26, 2009, 07:56:34 pm »

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: July 26, 2009, 10:14:02 pm »

I'm getting increasingly interested in this next release...

I have a reasonably fast computer, a lot of the latest 3d games, MMOs with real life friends to play with, a Wii, tons of board games, and a regular tabletop gaming group.

And I'm sitting here, bored, pining for the next Dwarf Fortress release. An ASCII game which nobody I know understands or cares about (though they enjoy listening to my stories and laugh at my ability to see through the Matrix).

Curse you Toady, curse you to Heck!!

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: July 26, 2009, 10:55:31 pm »

And I'm sitting here, bored, pining for the next Dwarf Fortress release. An ASCII game which nobody I know understands or cares about (though they enjoy listening to my stories and laugh at my ability to see through the Matrix).

...not the right forum for this, surely, but...best...MOD...IDEA...

EVAR

At least to freak people the f__ out.  I mean, think of a mod that, just for kicks, replaces the whole color scheme with shades of green and replaces the whole tile set with Matrix glyphs.

If you could pull it off so that it is still somewhat readable as the game (unlikely), it would be the BEST mod to use in public, 'cause you'd look like you were doing something, then people would see that the screen is simply filled with the Matrix, and be very confused.

On Topic: I like LordNagash's thing there with social skills coming into play for teachers.  Belligerent instructors would be great too, since going that in-depth should go the other way as well (not just ineptitude at expression, but also insane teachers who purposefully humiliate their students).

I feel the comment in the dev log about increasing mental skills that pertain to learning by learning may cause interesting effects...like legendary listeners or the like.  Well, if that can even happen with those kinds of skills.  Such arrangements sound prone to some kind of learning spiral, in which all the dwarfs in your military rapidly gain the ability to learn Kung Fu Keaneau Reeves style.

There, two Matrix tie-ins.  I'm done.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: July 26, 2009, 11:02:50 pm »

That would be AWESOME.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: July 26, 2009, 11:26:42 pm »

*starts getting all the japanese characters for everything*

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: July 27, 2009, 12:35:35 am »

Just change the colors to different shades of neon green. Leave the symbols as-is.

Honestly, people who haven't sat staring at the screen for hours (as we have) really and honestly don't see anything. They think it looks like crazy weird matrixy gibberish -- without any changes at all. My wife thought the mostly-black of solid, undug rock looked like a starfield. She thought it was a space game.

At most change the dwarfs so they're not smiley faces... that kind of identifies them as "creatures" or "people" of some sort.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:42:49 am by Name Lips »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: July 27, 2009, 12:44:15 am »

Most people who don't know the game or haven't been actively introduced to it by me already think it looks like the matrix.

Also teaching has almost made me fall over crying. I'm so excited!

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: July 27, 2009, 06:28:27 am »

Scamps was scratching at the guitar strings while the guitar was in its stand. I was going to go stop him when he managed to pluck a very solid A, at which point he stopped messing around and let it ring out. I will look forward to future hits assuming the strings don't start breaking.

He was telling you to record new DF music!
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: July 27, 2009, 07:13:27 am »

Course, that depends on what said teacher is supposed to teach, teaching people to fight using only your voice to do so should be very hard, but possible.

Is it just me, or did anyone else think of the weirding way.

Muad'dib, his name is a killing word!
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: July 27, 2009, 07:27:07 am »

powerword: AWE!  ;D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: July 27, 2009, 08:32:52 am »

Last three days of notes have me twitching....  : No rank teacher deciding his students should do live-fire training exercizes? WIN

And the better RAW information will do more than anybody realizes for increasing the number and variety of good mods
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 1065