Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624088 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3135 on: July 20, 2009, 04:43:04 am »

I am pretty excited about the developments announced today!
Not sure what the changes in training will entail, but:
Dwarves using finished products! yay! 
Well, at least instruments.

Maybe kids will also play with toys to train their dexterity/ smarts/ etc depending on toy and have a preference for a certain toy type?
On that topic: kid moods bug will be adressed this version?

Will dwarves be temporarily claiming or buying the instruments and such they desire/require for playing at a party?
Music at a meetingplace party, will give additional happythought (dep. on quality of music) layer?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: July 20, 2009, 06:16:18 am »

I have to say the idea of dwarves having actual parties really amazes and excites me, for some reason

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: July 20, 2009, 07:40:19 am »

Have overly drunk dwarves vomit and start fistfights, possibly ending in tragedy.

That's right, your fortress can party itself to death,
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: July 20, 2009, 10:44:11 am »

Sounds pretty dwarven to me. Hehe.

Had a question that I'm not sure if it's been answered. I looked back through the thread a bit but...there is a lot there.

Anyway: Will the bug with intelligent captives/tamed creatures starving/dying of thirst be fixed for this release? Also, if you have tames intelligent creatures (like *-men) will they use equipment in the new version?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: July 20, 2009, 11:29:16 am »

Have overly drunk dwarves vomit and start fistfights, possibly ending in tragedy.

That's right, your fortress can party itself to death,

The Birth of Tragedy from the Parties of Dwarves -uristzche mcphilosopher
The hammerer -Urist Machiavelli
How to Kill Friends and Party with People -Dale Urist

Sorry, I saw the opportunity and.. Yeah.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: July 20, 2009, 01:23:02 pm »

I think I probably just read a couple statements too literally on account of I'm tired. On second thought, I doubt Toady will be completely disregarding suggestions a bit lower on the list if they're good and well-reasoned.

Yeah, the impression I've gotten is that it'll be looked like as a 'people want work done on this area' rather than 'people want this exact feature'.  Sometimes the exact features get a little more attention because they are easier to wrap your head around, even if there's a good chance the dev can come up with a simpler and more elegant solution...

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: July 20, 2009, 01:36:32 pm »

I think I probably just read a couple statements too literally on account of I'm tired. On second thought, I doubt Toady will be completely disregarding suggestions a bit lower on the list if they're good and well-reasoned.

That goes double for the ones that are included in (or at least overlap with) others, like the absurd number of variations on the suggestion to improve inventory control.

...actually, looking at the voting list again, it really should be trimmed down.  There's a lot of suggestions that are explicitly included in other suggestions and a lot that are flat-out copies of others.  And I was sure that Toady had shot down steam power as never going in.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: July 20, 2009, 01:40:16 pm »

Had another question pop up during a long, boring meeting this morning.

Now that we have better control over Soldiers/Fortress Guard and civilians, where does the Hammerer fit in? Part of the Guard? A Civilian?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: July 20, 2009, 02:00:32 pm »

...actually, looking at the voting list again, it really should be trimmed down.  There's a lot of suggestions that are explicitly included in other suggestions and a lot that are flat-out copies of others.  And I was sure that Toady had shot down steam power as never going in.

Not sure I agree.  I still feel that if Toady touches (improves) inventory control, he should clear all suggestions that have inventory control as part of them.  That's not the same as saying that allowing people to support their favored versions of the improvement is wasteful.  The same applies to people rerequesting the item in a 'no, I really want it to work THIS way' sort of sense.

There's only 2-3 hundred odd suggestions, most with less than 5 votes...  Anything that needs to be consolodated can easily be done in the head.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: July 20, 2009, 02:56:53 pm »

Now that we have better control over Soldiers/Fortress Guard and civilians, where does the Hammerer fit in? Part of the Guard? A Civilian?

An agent of our new kill orders, possibly.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: July 20, 2009, 03:42:33 pm »

I wonder if confining him to a burrow will restrict his hammering jobs too. That would be a simple way to keep my legendary smith's spine nonshattered.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: July 20, 2009, 03:52:41 pm »

Not sure I agree.  I still feel that if Toady touches (improves) inventory control, he should clear all suggestions that have inventory control as part of them.  That's not the same as saying that allowing people to support their favored versions of the improvement is wasteful.  The same applies to people rerequesting the item in a 'no, I really want it to work THIS way' sort of sense.

There's only 2-3 hundred odd suggestions, most with less than 5 votes...  Anything that needs to be consolodated can easily be done in the head.

"Improved hauling, such as with mine carts and *other stuff*"
"Mine carts"
"Improved hauling, such as with conveyor belts and *other stuff*"
"Conveyor belts"

Do we really need all of those?

And there's two suggestions to add books and paper.  And this is just off the top of my head from a glance.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: July 20, 2009, 04:10:33 pm »

This should allow dwarves at parties, for instance, to do single and group activities like playing instruments or dancing a bit more easily than it otherwise would have been. I'm not sure if I'll throw in any of that this time around, but it's possible, since there should be some very low-hanging fruit there.

Yes, please.

There are already infinite ways for dwarves and creatures to kill, mangle and destroy themselves and others.

I tend to get bored with my fortresses after 10 years or so because there isn't really any 'life' stuff in yet.  More of this, even in tiny increments, will do wonders.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: July 20, 2009, 04:11:38 pm »

"Improved hauling, such as with mine carts and *other stuff*"
"Mine carts"
"Improved hauling, such as with conveyor belts and *other stuff*"
"Conveyor belts"

Do we really need all of those?

And there's two suggestions to add books and paper.  And this is just off the top of my head from a glance.

Not to stifle the talk in this thread, but there is currently some active discussion (in the Eternal Suggestions Voting thread) of the appropriateness and future of some ESV entries.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: July 20, 2009, 04:12:30 pm »

I cant wait for what Toady was talking about later on.

I will mod Dwarves to have guitars
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 1065