Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624289 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3060 on: July 15, 2009, 06:13:05 am »

Are the statues of dwarves etc actually depictions of historical figures a la engravings or are they just generic?  Also, could appropriate civ/group symbols be made into statues?  Are idols and the like touched as well?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:26:57 am by Christes »

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: July 15, 2009, 08:11:15 am »

Is there going to be an option to have the dwarf make any sort of statue he wants or do we have to be spesific now?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:09:53 pm by TheDJ17 »
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: July 15, 2009, 08:22:31 am »

In any case, rather than ten minutes, a half-assed job of it without all that stuff took around two hours of what shouldn't be completely wasted effort.

The development cycle increased by two hours just for me.  I'm officially a douchebag now.  Donatin' time.

Also, that's an awesome picture and I'm totally stoked that I called it on the statue of clouds.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: July 15, 2009, 09:43:27 am »

Statues? AWESOME.

Edit: Will statues have symbols assosciated with them based on what they represent? I.E. "d" for dog statues?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:01:24 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: July 15, 2009, 09:49:06 am »

Loving the new statues!  I am looking forward very much to my convalescence room/hospital being carved out of blue stone with fluffy white cloud statues decorating the area (soothing, no?), my awesome cage rooms and statue gardens filled with statues of unnamed horrors and my dining hall decorated with statue after statue of purring maggots.   ;D
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: July 15, 2009, 10:06:02 am »

Very cool, that's going to add some very neat flavor! 

Quick question regarding the new statues.  Once the statues are built are we going be able to query them like engravings to find out what the statue is? 

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: July 15, 2009, 10:08:44 am »

I'm getting the feeling that picture and the two hours of work that went into it only occurred for laughs and to show me up, and that Toady really hadn't planned to do anything with statues for the time being, but is now dreading that he's chained himself to it for the big release.  Hopefully this is just my giant douchebag ego talking again and he was actually working on artwork issues anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: July 15, 2009, 10:42:17 am »

That statue of tentacle demons would make a great decoration for the countess' room. One demand too many and it might stop being a statue.

I'm assuming Toady isn't doing anything else with statues now other than what was done in those two hours, as long as what he did in those two hours isn't making anything unworkable.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: July 15, 2009, 10:44:47 am »

I'm getting the feeling that picture and the two hours of work that went into it only occurred for laughs and to show me up, and that Toady really hadn't planned to do anything with statues for the time being, but is now dreading that he's chained himself to it for the big release.  Hopefully this is just my giant douchebag ego talking again and he was actually working on artwork issues anyway.

I got the impression that the "10% of time doing work, 90% of the time fixing it" law came up, in the sense of handling the special cases (a la making sure that a colosus statue came out 'Iron statue of a colossus') and testing (hard to test for trade goods without getting trade goods, and there ARE a lot of cases to test.)

Still and all, I agree with you... Typed statues will add exponentially to the feel of the game, and player's ability to decorate.  (Imagine the statues of dwarfs lining the outside of your fort entrance, or the hall of kings showing the coronation of all your kings)  Awesome addition, and immediately visible to players.

I'm curious whether the symbolism code got copied over from engravings.  Will dwarves know what they are looking at?

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: July 15, 2009, 10:48:45 am »

That statue of tentacle demons would make a great decoration for the countess' room. One demand too many and it might stop being a statue.

that's pretty darn kinky, like a hentai movie.  i bet with some of the new organizational stuff that's in you are going to have personal maids for the male nobles.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: July 15, 2009, 10:53:44 am »

I'm curious whether the symbolism code got copied over from engravings.  Will dwarves know what they are looking at?

I wouldn't think it's not.

Only real contingency is getting the itemcorpse to drop the right kind of statue.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: July 15, 2009, 11:30:04 am »

that's pretty darn kinky, like a hentai movie.  i bet with some of the new organizational stuff that's in you are going to have personal maids for the male nobles.

Meh, maybe once we get the ability to enslave elves for that task.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: July 15, 2009, 11:30:55 am »

I like the new statues as well! Definitely not wasted time, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: July 15, 2009, 12:03:32 pm »

Statues? AWESOME.

Edit: Will statues have symbols assosciated with them based on what they represent? I.E. "d" for dog statues?

I sure hope not. I despise the look of engravings, already.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: July 15, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »

Statues? AWESOME.

I sure hope not. I despise the look of engravings, already.
It looks like statues are still represented by an Ω, unless Toady changed it after the screen shot was taken.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 1065