Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624409 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3030 on: July 13, 2009, 10:30:10 am »

Wait a minute...

We don't have to paint our questions Lime Green in here too do we?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:23 am »

Wait a minute...

We don't have to paint our questions Lime Green in here too do we?

Couldn't hurt

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:19 am »

Quote from: Toady's latest update
...it should handle dual-weapon (or more for mods) assignments properly...
Antmen wielding four shortswords, oh yes!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: July 13, 2009, 03:15:11 pm »

I challenge any being to work out chemistry using only physics. Chemistry has largely been worked out using chemistry, and the physics of it inferred. Besides, if we go down the xkcd route maths is applied logic, which is applied philosophy, so right up the end of the scale is a bunch of long dead luminaries smiling benevolently from the distance of 3000 years or so.

In short: rust is chemistry.
Biology has also been largely worked out using biology, and again, the underlying chemistry usually comes later. In fact, prior to the discovery of cells and cellular processes, biochemistry hardly existed at all.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: July 13, 2009, 04:40:24 pm »

Basically, even if chemistry arises due to physics, you can still study chemistry without knowing the physics behind it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: July 13, 2009, 04:47:53 pm »

Although you can technically do chemistry using applied physics, you can also technically do gene folding with a Tandy.

The better question is, when does real chemistry get into Dwarf Fortress?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: July 13, 2009, 05:31:32 pm »

Will the venom materials be hard-coded, or will they be a part of the raws? I would very much like to be able to create my own toxic materials for mods and such.

Poison/venom materials are in the raws.  You can attach poison effects to any material.  Creature immunities are also in the raws.

And also, if venoms are part of the raws, to what extent can they be modified? Will they be limited to a couple of predetermined venom types, such as stun, paralyze, etc., or will they be somewhat more open to modification?

You don't pick a single type for the venom, rather you give it a number of effects.  The effects are chosen from a predetermined list, yes, although there's quite a few of them -- the dev log mentions "pain, swelling, oozing wounds, bruising, blisters, numbness, paralysis, fever, bleeding, coughing/vomiting blood, nausea, vomiting, unconsciousness, necrosis, impaired vision, drowsiness and dizziness."  You can also choose what methods of administration cause the poison effects (inhalation, contact, injection).

Incidentally, you'll also be able to get some poison-like effects by giving a material a fixed temperature.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:34:00 pm by Footkerchief »

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: July 13, 2009, 05:36:28 pm »

... ???
Urist Tosiddugoth, Chemist cancels doping of *Silicon Diode* with Gallium Arsenide: Gallium Arsenide has melted.
Urist Tosiddugoth, Chemist catalyzes precipitation of Copper Hydroxide with Sodium Hydroxide from Copper Nitrate.
The Hydroxide is spilled!
Urist Tosiddugoth, Chemist is more experienced.
Urist Tosiddugoth, Chemist uses Nitric Acid on Native Copper Nuggets.
Urist Tosiddugoth has been struck down by Brown Miasma!
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: July 13, 2009, 05:40:46 pm »

... ???
Urist Tosiddugoth, Chemist cancels doping of *Silicon Diode* with Gallium Arsenide: Gallium Arsenide has melted.
Urist Tosiddugoth, Chemist catalyzes precipitation of Copper Hydroxide with Sodium Hydroxide from Copper Nitrate.
The Hydroxide is spilled!
Urist Tosiddugoth, Chemist is more experienced.
Urist Tosiddugoth, Chemist uses Nitric Acid on Native Copper Nuggets.
Urist Tosiddugoth has been struck down by Brown Miasma!

And that's why the alchemists don't make anything but soap anymore.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: July 13, 2009, 08:11:35 pm »

Although you can technically do chemistry using applied physics, you can also technically do gene folding with a Tandy.

The better question is, when does real chemistry get into Dwarf Fortress?

I don't know what a Tandy is, but gene folding does not exist.
At most RNA can be folded into workable forms. But I assume you are referring to protein folding which has its own SETI@HOME-like CPU-share program.

@Toady / squad assignments and uniforms: Do barracks(weaponracks/armourstands) require a squad to be 'assigned' to it to be used for storing equipment?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:21:00 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: July 14, 2009, 06:44:34 am »

a tandy is a rather old computer system.

I got one for free about 10 years ago.

good times.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: July 14, 2009, 07:10:12 am »

The thought of doing protein folding on a TRS-80 made me shiver.  A tad extreme, no?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:03 am »

Technically, you could do it with pen and paper with an abacus, but that's beyond the point.

Chemistry may make it into Dwarf Fortress, but only in the abstract. You want Toady to implement molecular bonds? Nowhere even close at this point. Want him to make it possible to produce Chemicals X Y and Z, that result in chemicals A B and C when mixed in proper proportions? Very possible.
!!&!!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: July 14, 2009, 09:07:04 am »

Technically, you could do it with pen and paper with an abacus, but that's beyond the point.

Chemistry may make it into Dwarf Fortress, but only in the abstract. You want Toady to implement molecular bonds? Nowhere even close at this point. Want him to make it possible to produce Chemicals X Y and Z, that result in chemicals A B and C when mixed in proper proportions? Very possible.
What about having the ABC system in DF, abut having a molecular bonds-simulating script generating a bazillion such reactions?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: July 14, 2009, 09:13:53 am »

What about having the ABC system in DF, abut having a molecular bonds-simulating script generating a bazillion such reactions?
And then we could have dwarves like Norns!!!
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 1065