Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3624593 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2940 on: July 06, 2009, 12:23:49 am »

Wait a minute do we really have to put spoilers on just getting to the spoiler?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: July 06, 2009, 12:35:40 am »

I had an idea.

With the new "champion" update, why not give the champion suffixes like "the slayer" if he's killed a megabeast or "the righteous" if he fights with a hammer?

If two or more titles are applicable, choose the achieved one, and if two achieved ones are available, choose randomly. A unique achievement that wouldn't bog down the game would be individual achievements that would give dwarves titles and suffixes that would come up in legends, or (If you want) displayed instead of their last name.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: July 06, 2009, 12:36:41 am »

Naw I still like the old system of people earning Titles and Nicknames if they are a champion or now

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: July 06, 2009, 12:43:51 am »

Naw I still like the old system of people earning Titles and Nicknames if they are a champion or now

Yeah.  I would go the route of improving the earned titles so that they make more sense, i.e. better reflect the deeds of the bearer, while still retaining a unique randomized element.  Other types of names seem likely to go in that direction, too, as mentioned in the spoiler (and a bunch of other dev content).

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: July 06, 2009, 12:44:06 am »

Edit: SECOND THOUGHTS O' CLOCK. DISREGARD BAD IDEA.
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: July 06, 2009, 06:13:32 am »

edit:

ventured further. yay
drunkbeard cancels mine: interrupted by elephant-carp-bear-unicorn
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:20:38 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: July 06, 2009, 07:04:03 am »

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:34:43 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: July 06, 2009, 07:58:03 am »

I had an interesting idea in a dream last night.

I had a fort running and was doing some exploratory shaft mining.
A dorf got down to the bottom z-level, at which point a sand worm thing ate him.
The sand worm thing made the ground on the top level fuzzy in a circle for several tiles, then those tiles slowly collapsed down to the bottom and left a bottomless pit.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: July 06, 2009, 10:13:22 am »

toad: fixed spoiler

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: July 06, 2009, 11:04:43 am »

I had an idea.

With the new "champion" update, why not give the champion suffixes like "the slayer" if he's killed a megabeast or "the righteous" if he fights with a hammer?

If two or more titles are applicable, choose the achieved one, and if two achieved ones are available, choose randomly. A unique achievement that wouldn't bog down the game would be individual achievements that would give dwarves titles and suffixes that would come up in legends, or (If you want) displayed instead of their last name.

Well, I like the random nickname determined by (sphere or interests or something like it), but there's no reason to limit things to just one title or style.  In fact, giving a style for legendary status in any skill would be cool.  (Also, escalating 'random' titles of nobility.  Baron of (fortname), Count of (region name), especially if nobility gets 'promoted', (since a noble can hold multiple titles)

Another interesting expansion would be to add 'By the grace of Armok(or whatever deity the dwarf in question likes)' in front...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:59 pm »

As for the new Happy Fun Stuff spoiler, all I can says is: YEEEEEESSSS!

I've been hoping for this feature for a long time.  I also hope it gets implemented more broadly into the rest of the world rather just in HFS, which apparently Toady plans on doing in his usual deliberate and well-planned fashion.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2951 on: July 06, 2009, 04:44:47 pm »

Quote from: Org
So bludgeoning weapons denies most of the armor bonus from breastplate and mail? I know it does IRL. Does this mean leather does better against it, or is it still as bad?

Yeah, that's right.  There's an overall issue remaining that I was going to handle when I do padding or don't do padding, which is the overall notion of thickness.  I think it fudges that in the calcs right now, but the item needs an extra raw number most likely.

Quote from: corvvs
Castes can be either male/female, or neuter (not-specified). If you have a female caste with a ratio of 1, a male caste with a ratio of 10, and a neuter caste with a ratio of 200 or something, that would give you your anatomically-correct Ant-person colony?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Sort of.  As far as has been indicated, everything is still limited to the "ONE MATE EVER" problem.

Speaking of which, Toady, has that changed at all?  Are all creatures still tied to one mate for their whole lives, or will there be any kind of allowance for deaths?

It's all still the same as far as marriage goes.  I guess they would be partially anatomically correct, although certain eusocial insect worker females still have the capability to lay eggs (most likely unfertilized) so what's really needed is further work on exactly who does what with whom.

Quote from: G-Flex
How will magma pools/pipes be integrated into the new underground structure? I can't very well see the current straight-pipe magma tubes coming up through complex cave structures like that, so what'll they look like, exactly?

I dunno.  For the same reason I've left out underground rivers for now, there will likely be some limitations while I get used to working in the new space.  There will clearly still be magma, but I might not have time to work in anything interesting.

Quote from: LordZorintrhox
So, with the new items and such (crutches etc.), what are you going to do for the 437 code points to represent them?  Are we going to loose some of the unassigned tiles, or are already in use item tiles to be used, like '\' , '|' , and '/' ?  Bandages as '[', or as the bolt of cloth symbol (would look appropriate and would look right in most fancy tile sets too)?

I haven't decided yet for crutches and splints yet.  I think they provisionally just have a '-', but that doesn't mean anything.  A lot of the medical stuff is still unfinished.

Quote from: Normandy
Speaking of which, will there be igneous intrusions and the like, with the surrounding rock having undergone contact metamorphism, e.g. hornfels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornfels) and related things?

Nah, there's nothing very interesting going on.  I still lack stalact/gmites and various other critters as well.

Quote from: Greiger
1) With the new underground features have new creatures been added?  Or was it just redoing how they worked without adding any new creatures.

2) Do you have any plans to put the new body layers system in use right away with current creatures?  Like for example the common idea of a dragon's scales being stronger on the back while weak on the belly?

1) Aside from the revealed HFS spoiler, not much or anything, though I'm not done and something might happen -- it probably wouldn't be right to limit all the new venom functionality to the HFS, for example, and things like spiders and scorpions might be updated.

2) That particular example would need new body parts or location information, but in general, there will be some updates, but nothing extreme.  I want to start with things working, then I can move on.

Quote from: Name Lips
Toady, any though of adding z-levels to rooms?
Quote from: Christes
Actually, more generally, how plausible is it to make all designation-type features work over z-levels?

The way rooms currently flow out, it would take a bit of a rewrite to do Z rooms -- for instance, if you wanted to go up a level to check out how your flow is going, it might focus on a different building, and the whole flow system is a bit uncomfortable in 3D.  There are just some little things.

It wouldn't be that hard with designations, since they use the rectangular format.  Some of the newer rectangular tools work over Z levels, but I haven't updated designations yet.

Quote from: various
titles/styles

The eventual idea was to allow a creature to gain multiple titles from multiple civilizations, some self-styled and some used by other people, and so on.  The main restriction here is that I want to do the grammar rewrite first, so that they aren't all of the typical "the adj adj compound-noun of noun" form.  Even names like "the Defender of <fort name>" are currently impossible, and those are among the kind I'm most interested in adding.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: July 06, 2009, 05:18:58 pm »

Question
Can we see anything's description paragraph?(i.e. Trolls, gobbos, etc)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: July 06, 2009, 05:20:07 pm »

Speaking of trolls...I want those back.   ;D

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: July 06, 2009, 05:46:07 pm »

Speaking of trolls...I want those back.   ;D

The buffoon raises a legitimate point! Trolls were the only real challenge besides bow-gobbos and HFS, and I modded bow-gobbos out and replaced them with sling-gobbos for awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 1065