Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573822 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2730 on: June 26, 2009, 07:02:04 pm »

but Wouldn't it won't be that great if the final interface look like a NASA flight simulator?

But seriously, the burrows sound no more complex than a cross between stockpiles and workshop Profiles, (and I guess could be ignored) and the squads sound like they will work normally without interference, but some (most?) people want to goof around with uniforms and all that. (I remember spending a few minutes forcing a dwarf to use a long sword once)

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: June 26, 2009, 07:03:34 pm »

So that's what I was thinking, the many dev notes about squad, entities, burrows, etc. confused me.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: June 26, 2009, 09:30:16 pm »

Will you be able to assign to your dwarves weapons that are not typical to them? For example, allowing one of your dwarves to use that artifact whip. 'twould be useful for modding.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: June 26, 2009, 09:34:24 pm »

I do believe so. That or people have been misleading me. >:I

I want bowdwarves.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: June 26, 2009, 10:25:26 pm »

So that's what I was thinking, the many dev notes about squad, entities, burrows, etc. confused me.

Seems like the entity stuff laid a lot of groundwork for more advanced features later on. Some of the recent notes definitely had a lot of 'this will be possible someday' content.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: June 27, 2009, 12:05:36 am »

Gah. I'm outrageously impatient for the next update now.

I like the idea of custom uniforms.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: June 27, 2009, 01:24:58 am »

Uh-huh. You know, this really calls for some way of telling crafters to do specific things. For example, grafting the symbol of your empire onto the soldiers' shields and helms, sewing images of your legendary champions onto T-shirts (with optional autographs by them), and so on. It would be neat if the equipment system extended beyond the military. For example, nobles could not only mandate the creation of a hundred skyblue tunics with golden lining, they could mandate these tunics to be worn by the populace.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: June 27, 2009, 01:51:45 am »

Any noble that dictated that would be immediately slaughtered and skinned as uniforms for captive elven slaves.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: June 27, 2009, 02:44:10 am »

Will there be an easy way to tell if squadmembers are fully equipped with their uniform gear? The uniforms will be an incredible improvement but it would be nice to have a little marker somewhere on a unit list for underequipped dwarves so you could know whom to check to see what items you're short on.

Emeralddragon2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: June 27, 2009, 03:24:04 am »

I was just thinking about the controls we have over the dwarves and the control they have of themselves and thought:
Will dwarves that are either left to thier own will, left alone for extended periods of time, or when under extreme coercion by thier happy/sad thoughts; start an act that can only be initiated by the player?

For Example: Cog Mcbrewy builds an out-of-the way Still because he was left alone and was proficient at brewing.
Or Maybe Urist Mcpunchy creates his own squad to target a Giant Eagle because he was depressed at losing a friend.

Out of curiosity, I would like to have an ant farm build itself every once in a while just to see what might happen.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: June 27, 2009, 03:58:01 am »

It will be nice to see what dwarves build by themselves, but Toady had to re-program all the AI to reach this.... But yes, it will be entertaining to see how they carve out their places, what do they build, how do they deal with invaders....

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: June 27, 2009, 04:21:08 am »

I second this autonomy idea.
Another thing you could do whit the same AI, is you could designate an area for each dwarf making it's own home, rather than like now doing it room by room making even the private homes look more like dormitories. or you could make the rooms, but let the dwarf furnish it itself, etc.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: June 27, 2009, 07:41:33 am »

The game you are looking for is The Sims... Hmm...

Sims... Dwarfs...

Smurf Fortress?
!!&!!

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: June 27, 2009, 10:32:51 am »

Smurf Fortress?
Curse you, your horrible ideas, and my visual imagination. D:
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: June 27, 2009, 02:48:40 pm »

I was just thinking about the controls we have over the dwarves and the control they have of themselves and thought:
Will dwarves that are either left to thier own will, left alone for extended periods of time, or when under extreme coercion by thier happy/sad thoughts; start an act that can only be initiated by the player?

For Example: Cog Mcbrewy builds an out-of-the way Still because he was left alone and was proficient at brewing.
Or Maybe Urist Mcpunchy creates his own squad to target a Giant Eagle because he was depressed at losing a friend.

Out of curiosity, I would like to have an ant farm build itself every once in a while just to see what might happen.

I believe intelligent autonomy is in powergoals, bloats and core. Though it's incredibly hard to program. Give it a few years before we start seeing dwarves that don't channel themselves into a river
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1065