Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635676 times)

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2565 on: June 18, 2009, 10:17:32 am »

Burrows + Skin/hair/eye color variance = dark ski silver-haired dwarves living in a slum outside the main fortress.

This truly should open new ways to handle your citizens (and to be an awful person).

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: June 18, 2009, 10:19:27 am »

Hmm. Could these burrows be used as a rudimentary way of selecting specific items for crafting, if that item is the only valid one within the dwarf's burrow? Say, if I wanted to have a mason make red furniture, I'd give him a burrow with basica amenities, a workshop and stockpiles of Realgar, Cinnabar and Petrified Wood - would that work?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:20 am »

And now Burrows are in. Wow. Every time Toady adds in a new section on this release my jaw drops. Long wait for it to get done, but it's going to be so worth it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: June 18, 2009, 10:36:29 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Just the basic burrow mechanic is powerful enough that it is pretty exploitable, so there will be several ways in which dwarves either move beyond their burrows or are affected adversely by heavy restrictions

What are the effects of heavy restriction on our dwarves? It's obvious that a dwarf that's restricted to a corner of the meeting hall will get hungry after a time and gain a negative thought from it, but what about, say, repeated changes of the alarm situation.
Example: I build a huge church in my fortress and mark it as "Temple Zone" with an alarm stance called "Praying time" that restricts all dwarves to the temple as to simulate actually serving a god there. The "Praying time" alarm stance is activated (by me) every month or ever week or something.

Will this cause negative thoughts because of "false alarm" or unhappyness because of "control" like the draft in the militia does in the current version?

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: June 18, 2009, 10:38:52 am »

I would guess the sort of adverse effect would be that if there is no food in a dwarf's burrow when he's hungry, for example, he'll go and get food from another burrow, possibly with additional bad thoughts in that he was not provided for.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: June 18, 2009, 10:44:12 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Just the basic burrow mechanic is powerful enough that it is pretty exploitable, so there will be several ways in which dwarves either move beyond their burrows or are affected adversely by heavy restrictions

What are the effects of heavy restriction on our dwarves? It's obvious that a dwarf that's restricted to a corner of the meeting hall will get hungry after a time and gain a negative thought from it, but what about, say, repeated changes of the alarm situation.
Example: I build a huge church in my fortress and mark it as "Temple Zone" with an alarm stance called "Praying time" that restricts all dwarves to the temple as to simulate actually serving a god there. The "Praying time" alarm stance is activated (by me) every month or ever week or something.

Will this cause negative thoughts because of "false alarm" or unhappyness because of "control" like the draft in the militia does in the current version?

You could actually find every worshiper of a particular deity, make a specific temple zone for each of them, and then have an alert for each of them. It would be time consuming, of course, but it would be pretty neat IMO.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: June 18, 2009, 10:47:59 am »

Okay, forget everything else. This is the new thing I'm most looking forward to.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: June 18, 2009, 10:54:45 am »

I love the idea of using burrows to create temples to the various gods of your nation.  Just imagine setting up a temple to a fluffy wambler god and then getting engravings of fluffy wamblers all over the walls.  It would be a terrifying sight for invaders.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:08 am »

Wow.

WOW.

Toady, ignore my question. You just answered it.

WOOOOW.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: June 18, 2009, 11:04:47 am »

If pathfinding is restricted to the burrows too, that will end most FPS trouble. Lacking that, a check whether the item is located in a burrow that dwarf is allowed to go in BEFORE pathfinding is called would help a lot as well. There wouldn't be four dozen dwarves trying to pathfind through the Mines of Moria anymore.

Congratulations to the great nocturnal bugcatcher, those are huge strides we're seeing.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: June 18, 2009, 11:13:57 am »

Can't wait till the first time I set an alert status and everyone runs to the burrow ...... where I've forgotten to put any food and drink.  Tantrum spiral ahoy!  Losing is fun......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: June 18, 2009, 11:31:44 am »

Burrows is something I never even expected to see, so like everyone else, sounds awesome.  I like the idea of creating coloured workshops using custom stockpiles in that burrow.  Also, some kind of Vault Burrow (Fallout style) for apocalyptic retreat would be great.  Or the opposite, like the armageddon call in Populous, all Dwarves rush to the surface to meet the siege head on   ;D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: June 18, 2009, 11:39:47 am »

Whoa whoa whoa, we're getting burrows next time?

I always thought that was some far-off goal in the future!

<3

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: June 18, 2009, 11:56:59 am »

Well burrows are neat tool but not so awesome as they may sound in my opinion. I want to test them (and the negative effects) before i say that they are the best part of the release.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: June 18, 2009, 12:29:21 pm »

Well burrows are neat tool but not so awesome as they may sound in my opinion. I want to test them (and the negative effects) before i say that they are the best part of the release.

What?

WHAT?

WHAT?

THINK OF THE POSSIBLILITIES!
-CASTE FORTRESS!
-UNDERGROUND VAULT FORTRESS!
-RELIGIOUS FORTRESS WITH PRAYING TIME!
-RITUALS OF INITIATION(Restricting newcomers to a small village outside the fort vulnerable to goblins!)

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS, WHEN I GET A JOB, MY FIRST DONATION TO TOADY WILL BE MADE!
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 1065