Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636065 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2505 on: June 15, 2009, 11:46:43 pm »

Toady has a Doctorate in Mathematics, yes.

My world... My world, filled with the flames of burning ale and kitten carcass... My world, that is the scourge of The Infinite Realms... My world, contained to a trading post in a mountain no one wishes to immigrate to....

... Has been cleansed...

... And all that was once mortifying... Is now beautiful...

I love you, Toady...

I thought this was quite well known.  I'd post his mathematics geneology page if it didn't seem terribly stalkerish.

It's not like he's actually using his PhD though...

David Holmes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: June 16, 2009, 12:11:00 am »

It's not like he's actually using his PhD though...

Having studied Markov Chains and Monte Carlo methods briefly when I was working on my Computer Science degree, and largely failing to understand them at all, I would say that if Toady understands them well enough to discuss the things he did in that interview, he definitely IS using his PhD to some extent ;)

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: June 16, 2009, 04:14:03 am »

Hey Toady, despite this update taking a fair bit of time, I don't think anyone is in a hurry to run off or stop supporting bay12, many people know this is something special.
I mean, sure, there are some people grumbling, but I honestly think they're a vocal minority, the supposedly useless cosmetical stuff and the material stuff is going to add lots of cool stuff and many people know that.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: June 16, 2009, 05:19:11 am »

So now that we can issue kill orders is Toady going to up the difficulty of the enemies somehow?  That's what I'd like to know.  I mean the last time an unwanted visitor entered my fort its cause I put it in a cage and put into storage (for who knows what purpose).  While that may be perverted and all, I can't wait to see real armies attack the fort and give my half dozen champs reason to live.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: June 16, 2009, 05:23:21 am »

So now that we can issue kill orders is Toady going to up the difficulty of the enemies somehow?  That's what I'd like to know.  I mean the last time an unwanted visitor entered my fort its cause I put it in a cage and put into storage (for who knows what purpose).  While that may be perverted and all, I can't wait to see real armies attack the fort and give my half dozen champs reason to live.

In the next release, some enemies will be more difficult (or just plain different) due to the large changes to creature bodies, wounding, and combat.  One of the primary goals of the Army Arc items on dev_next is making attacking/besieging armies more dangerous, but that's not going to get worked on until (probably) the release after this coming one.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2510 on: June 16, 2009, 10:38:53 am »

Woot! Custom Emergency Zones!
Soon we will have real siege orders!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: June 16, 2009, 11:32:52 am »

Wow. There's a feature I wasn't really expecting to see go in this time. Awesome. I hate not being able to use external buildings with the 'stay inside order'. This will make things much, much easier.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: June 16, 2009, 11:48:00 am »

I really don't want my entire industry to shut down when I'm being sieged, so will there be a way to tell dwarves "You shouldn't be wandering around past this point." or just tell the woodcutters and hunters, "Run to these safehouses."  In this system, it seems lie I would have to order all civilians into a meeting hall, and then lock the gates, and then go to a different level of alert so they would resume their duties.  Of course, with harder sieges on the horizon, I might end up wanting all my dwarves in a panic room.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: June 16, 2009, 12:12:37 pm »

Wow...I really can't wait.  When DF is done completely, whenever that happens, it might just be the best game its genre.

Yes, even though it is kinda the only game in its genre...

Alert status is gonna kick so much butt; hell, with that kind of system, you could REALLY organize everything.

Here's a question: will alert statuses have control over other things, like could I make an alert status called "Immigrants!" that causes all carpenters to build beds?  Or would that be more of a Manager feature?

I know this is not in this release, but if one could designate an area to mine within an alert status type object, that would be really cool.  As above, I set alert status to Immigrants! and that whole housing area I had designated for rooms only gets mined NOW, as it is part of the alert status.

Similar area: Alert Status adds "Pull Lever" tasks to certain diabolical SDT-sensitive levers?  That one would be REALLY useful and make up for anything lacking in the Alert status this time around.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: June 16, 2009, 12:14:01 pm »

Wow...I really can't wait.  When DF is done completely, whenever that happens, it might just be the best game its genre.

Yes, even though it is kinda the only game in its genre...

Alert status is gonna kick so much butt; hell, with that kind of system, you could REALLY organize everything.

Here's a question: will alert statuses have control over other things, like could I make an alert status called "Immigrants!" that causes all carpenters to build beds?  Or would that be more of a Manager feature?

I know this is not in this release, but if one could designate an area to mine within an alert status type object, that would be really cool.  As above, I set alert status to Immigrants! and that whole housing area I had designated for rooms only gets mined NOW, as it is part of the alert status.

Similar area: Alert Status adds "Pull Lever" tasks to certain diabolical SDT-sensitive levers?  That one would be REALLY useful and make up for anything lacking in the Alert status this time around.

That's just lazy !

But could be fun. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: June 16, 2009, 12:20:43 pm »

Man, and I thought this month's updates were supposed to be boring.  Customizable alert states sounds pretty cool.  Can dwarves accept jobs within the meeting hall they're confined to?

Pretty sure that's more of a Manager feature.  There hasn't been any mention of jobs controlled by schedules or anything like that.

Shamasu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://world-of-dungeons.net/?link_eb_51408
« Reply #2516 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:40 pm »

Speaking of panic rooms... are we maybe going to get better doors? Or some way to set up a guard at a door (or have a special category of door, ie:portucullis) that will let other dwarves in, but not goblinoids? (or even setting the door to only open for dwarves, nil the guard). Or making locking certain doors part of the alert status.

Going along with that, one of the things that's a little weird right now is if you completely seal up your fort, the enemies go dumb. You close all the door and it's like a cloaking device... the goblins go dumb.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: June 16, 2009, 01:01:56 pm »

Speaking of panic rooms... are we maybe going to get better doors? Or some way to set up a guard at a door (or have a special category of door, ie:portucullis) that will let other dwarves in, but not goblinoids? (or even setting the door to only open for dwarves, nil the guard). Or making locking certain doors part of the alert status.

Going along with that, one of the things that's a little weird right now is if you completely seal up your fort, the enemies go dumb. You close all the door and it's like a cloaking device... the goblins go dumb.
Goblins are dumb.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: June 16, 2009, 01:06:35 pm »

It is mostly because unless your a building destroyer you cannot do squat against constructs.

What is the goblin going to do?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: June 16, 2009, 01:10:58 pm »

If you really wanted to go anti-wall, have goblins come with catapults and launch themselves over.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 1065