Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627177 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2115 on: May 16, 2009, 08:07:49 pm »

Assuming each item on the list is worth equal amounts (NOT a safe assumption) that means we're at 491 by the old countdown scale.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 16, 2009, 08:24:20 pm »

Also, the List is by no means permanent. I think he's expanded it once or twice since the creation of the List.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 16, 2009, 10:30:13 pm »

Also, the List is by no means permanent. I think he's expanded it once or twice since the creation of the List.

Not to mention I counted Purple items as unfinished (Red as finished)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2118 on: May 17, 2009, 06:19:55 am »

Follow-up on a Q/A from a while back:

Quote from: Mephansteras
Toady, are the new material properties going to effect people punching/kicking with metal gauntlets/boots?

I don't think they do, but I might be wrong, because I remember making a code comment about it.  I've put in an additional note to check.  Can't promise anything.

Is the material of the body part (if not the clothing/armor) taken into account, at least?  There was a discussion about metal colossuses in another thread, which made me wonder about the differences between a punch from a bronze colossus and one from a hypothetical adamantine colossus with the same size and strength.

The material of the attacking and defending parts will make a difference.  Now, there are some squiggles with that right now, and likely for a while -- for instance, when a hand punches, it'll look for the "best" tissue in there and use that (eg bone).  It doesn't damage the attacking part yet, so the punch can make an impression without just breaking the hand every single time.  There'll have to be some additional work done to get everything lined up perfectly...  for a while the hand will probably just be fine by default or something.  Eventually, I'd like it to make more sense, but it's probably good to let the system cool a bit at a good spot before trying to capture everything, as long as the current basic variables/raws etc. snag what's needed in the future, mostly.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jakkarra

« Reply #2119 on: May 17, 2009, 06:35:55 am »

so, an attack has a chance of damaging the attacking part then? or, am i getting this wrong, and that was a bug?

love, jakkarra

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: May 17, 2009, 06:43:22 am »

The material of the attacking and defending parts will make a difference.  Now, there are some squiggles with that right now, and likely for a while -- for instance, when a hand punches, it'll look for the "best" tissue in there and use that (eg bone).  It doesn't damage the attacking part yet, so the punch can make an impression without just breaking the hand every single time.  There'll have to be some additional work done to get everything lined up perfectly...  for a while the hand will probably just be fine by default or something.  Eventually, I'd like it to make more sense, but it's probably good to let the system cool a bit at a good spot before trying to capture everything, as long as the current basic variables/raws etc. snag what's needed in the future, mostly.

This update is sounding even more awesome every time you post, Toady!  Glad to see you're feeling a little better, at least.
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: May 17, 2009, 07:17:23 am »

so, an attack has a chance of damaging the attacking part then? or, am i getting this wrong, and that was a bug?
I think Toady means that that is something that might happen in the future, but for now the attacking part is never hurt.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: May 17, 2009, 12:55:36 pm »

That would be cool. I feel pretty good right now, come to think of it, but I only have a few hours left.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: May 17, 2009, 01:32:49 pm »

I assume that everything will be "finalized" when you will work on the combat arc.
Either way, this sounds awesome already. DF will be the most complex & diverse [& realistic in many aspects] game what has ever been created.  8)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: May 18, 2009, 05:09:51 pm »

Well when I checked the material strength of rocks a while back (I was actually getting the material strength of Glass to prove that glass actually wasn't a weak substance and its nature has a bit more to do with the fact that it is thin... and I was right) they split up a few types of rock. (Concrete, Marble, Stone)

The actual conversation was interesting... It was mostly someone saying that a 1x1 meter ball of glass would shatter upon first impact with a solid object.

There is varying degrees of strength in stone.

A 1x1x1 meter ball of glass MIGHT shatter upon first impact with a solid object... if you hadn't let it cool all the way through first. How long would that take? How good an insulator IS glass? I seem to recall the invention of the Fresnel lens as a way to make lighthouse lenses because to make such a large lens in a single piece would require cooling over a matter of years...
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: May 18, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »

Unfortunately nope. He meant glass was so fragile that striking a person with such a ball would shatter it and leave the person relatively unharmed.

Basically it is the arguement of: "All Glass is Sugarglass"

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:13 pm »

Unfortunately nope. He meant glass was so fragile that striking a person with such a ball would shatter it and leave the person relatively unharmed.

Next time you see him, pelt marbles at him.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 19, 2009, 10:36:03 pm »

Toady, does this latest update mean we could see druids leading dwarf civs or something?

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 20, 2009, 04:12:15 pm »

Next time you see him, pelt marbles at him.

Agreed!
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 20, 2009, 08:05:22 pm »

A 1x1x1 meter ball of glass MIGHT shatter upon first impact with a solid object... if you hadn't let it cool all the way through first. How long would that take? How good an insulator IS glass? I seem to recall the invention of the Fresnel lens as a way to make lighthouse lenses because to make such a large lens in a single piece would require cooling over a matter of years...

Glass is an extremely good electrical insulator(one of the best).  I don't know so much thermally.

Fresnel lenses are used, however, because they allow the glass to be thinner, which makes it
1: lighter.  A solid glass lighthouse lens made using conventional lens methods would weigh several hundred to several thousand pounds.  A fresnel variant is significantly lighter.
2: clearer.  Fresnel lenses tend to be between 1/4 and 1/10 the thickness of standard lenses at their thickest point.  This means that 75-90% less light is lost to absorbtion, resulting in lower power requirements for brighter lights.

A one-foot diameter glass sphere would be able to smash a human(dwarven) head while sustaining little to no actual damage itself, regardless of how it was cooled.

I recall reading in Popular Science about a way to make glass beads.  I think you drop molten glass into freezing water, which results in a drop with a very long tail.  The round part can stand up to hammer blows, but cracking the end of the tail causes a cascading energy release, splintering the whole thing.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 1065