Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627039 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2070 on: May 13, 2009, 10:03:31 am »

For what it's worth, I'll happily add your realistic material values into Civilization Forge for the next version of DF. That'll help spread it around a bit even if Toady doesn't end up incorporating it into Vanilla DF.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 13, 2009, 10:32:08 am »

From personal experience i know toady is thankful if we can provide physical values of a material to him (best with a good source). Just dont force them in the game by mods or something.

For what this values could f.E. be usefull is a better cave-in system. Torsion forces for axles and torsion-xbows. Heck a Floodgate could bend and shater under to much pressure, wooden chairs made for dwarfs could break apart under a human and so on.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Jakkarra

« Reply #2072 on: May 13, 2009, 10:45:44 am »

wooden chairs made for dwarfs could break apart under a human and so on.

from what i can assume, dwarves are about the same weight, if not slightly heavier, than Humans.

it would be a small chair, but it'd stay intact.

Besides, knowing dwarves its probably just a log with "chair" carved into it.

love, jakkarra

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 13, 2009, 11:30:15 am »

Question for toady & friends.  Are there any plans to give creatures more accurate stats?  I'm talking about all creatures, above and below ground.  For example, movement speed.  Cheetahs are currently the same speed as cats.  Wolves and such should really be able to outrun unskilled dwarves.  Is any of the raw update dealing with this kind of thing, or is that for another day?

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 13, 2009, 12:28:13 pm »

Hey Toady, get well soon. I recommend maggots applied directly to the fleshy bits every two hours.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 13, 2009, 12:31:49 pm »

Garlic&Onion tea with some Chamomile works wonders. Inhaling Chamomile should help your lungs and nose.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:35:20 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 13, 2009, 01:11:36 pm »

For what it's worth, I'll happily add your realistic material values into Civilization Forge for the next version of DF. That'll help spread it around a bit even if Toady doesn't end up incorporating it into Vanilla DF.

I'll be happy to use it too, once you're done with it, and if I could magically miraculously figure out some time to do it, I'd even be willing to contribute.
For they would be your masters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 13, 2009, 01:43:16 pm »

You people can still use Modbase. It's got some errors here and there, but it does the job of compiling things together.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 13, 2009, 02:11:02 pm »

Hey Toady, get well soon.

Toady isn't well?  Aw... get well, Toady.  If it is flu... rosehip and hibiscus tea, extra strong with loads of sugar... tastes like a hot fruit juice, and has more vit c than a bushel of oranges!

Also, it is proven that kitty-nuzzlings are medicinal.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:11:48 pm by Bunny »
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 13, 2009, 03:21:34 pm »

Thanks for the support everyone! :)

I'll go set up a thread in the mod forum containing the basics. It's probably best not to derail this thread any further. Oh, and of course I'd be great if people want to include the content in their mods. :)

From personal experience i know toady is thankful if we can provide physical values of a material to him (best with a good source). Just dont force them in the game by mods or something.
That sounds encouraging. :) The mod is mostly so people can test it and use the content in the current version of DF. If Toady prefers the changes in another format, that's no problem. And good sources are indeed strongly encouraged.

Hey Toady, get well soon.

Toady isn't well?  Aw... get well, Toady.  If it is flu... rosehip and ibiscus tea, extra strong with loads of sugar... tastes like a hot fruit juice, and has more vit c than a bushel of oranges!

Also, it is proven that kitty-nuzzlings are medicinal.
I missed that too. Best wishes Toady!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 13, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »

Question for toady & friends.  Are there any plans to give creatures more accurate stats?  I'm talking about all creatures, above and below ground.  For example, movement speed.  Cheetahs are currently the same speed as cats.  Wolves and such should really be able to outrun unskilled dwarves.  Is any of the raw update dealing with this kind of thing, or is that for another day?

Toady One has mentioned a desire to separate movement speed from speed at other actions, though I beleive he also said it was not going to happen this release.  My search fu is weak, so I can't get a betrer reference for you.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 13, 2009, 04:53:41 pm »

Was the very first part of this cycle breaking creatures down into 6 physical stats and 11 mental ones?  Though I recall that he had some trouble regarding separating Agility and Movement Speed.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 13, 2009, 05:38:50 pm »

there's no point in gathering this stuff together for someone's own amusement.

You just dissed every modder out there...

No - there's no way to efficiently express this as a mod - it's single little bits of information about every stock material, rather than a list of materials to be added.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2083 on: May 14, 2009, 04:41:28 am »

Sick all day.  Couldn't work, but I feel like I might be able to do a post like this now.

Quote from: SirPenguin
what is the typical procedure to "update" entity positions? Are you tossing them in the raws, or perhaps changing the way they behave?

Toss the position in the raws (or generate them in the case of priests, currently) and then hunt down all the code where they came up as a hard-coded entity and update it.  Mostly this doesn't involve a change in behavior, but with things like succession and appointments there wasn't really any behavior to begin with for many positions.  For instance, if barons are now selected/appointed whatever from your dwarves, and then act through succession as long as there are kids around, that would represent a fairly large change (not that you have dwarves come to adulthood often, but it happens sometimes) even though the baron position itself as a lazy mandater doesn't have any functional alterations.

Quote from: darkevilme
I just noticed something from the underground month. Something about underground beast civilizations being able to attack with mounts. Does that mean we can apply arbitrary mounts or pets to sieging armies now? so four armed green giants riding war elephants instead of goblins for those who like challenge?

I don't think it'll be any more interesting than it is now for a while.  It's possible with the pets/mounts prefs thing under entity positions here that you'll get some specific tags, but I'm not going to guarantee anything.

Quote from: Great Cthulu
Toady, I know you're not interested in user submissions in general, but how do you feel about users contributing to boring stuff in the raws?

Yeah, I've generally accepted sourced updates to the real world numbers if there's not some kind of game obstacle.  I'm not adding new minerals or vermin or anything, even real world ones, that other people write up, but a sourced number is fine.  Especially with the next release, there are far too many numbers to do, and I think many of them won't even be measured in any readily available way (shear yield of microcline, etc.).

Quote from: Dwarfu
With the removal of squad info from individual dwarfs and into more of a squad-based entity, has it been considered to have standing squad formations instead of just assigning each new squad member to a squad?

We haven't thought about it carefull yet, in terms of weapons vs. position.  We'll be going over whatever suggestions are floating around and thinking it over just before we get there, so any new suggestion thread will be considered by that time.

Quote from: Heph
So coins got upgraded? What did you change about them toady?

Coin images were "updated" not "upgraded", so it does what it did before with an extra raw tag.

Quote from: Rockphed
Quote from: Topace3k

Toady One has mentioned a desire to separate movement speed from speed at other actions, though I beleive he also said it was not going to happen this release.  My search fu is weak, so I can't get a betrer reference for you.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Was the very first part of this cycle breaking creatures down into 6 physical stats and 11 mental ones?  Though I recall that he had some trouble regarding separating Agility and Movement Speed.

Yeah, that's right.  I can't just change the speed variable because it also influences the number of attacks (and everything else).  These are going to be teased apart at some point in the combat arc, when it really starts to matter (in the sense that the current situation is untenable for "version 1" combat).  When that work begins I have no idea.

In terms of attribute effects, it currently uses agility and strength to determine the change in speed from the raw value.  There have been some ideas floated for how to change agility into more variables to differentiate the dancers from the surgeons and crafters, but there's something aggravating down there that is similar to the question of breaking strength up by body part (which is a bit excessive/memory hoggish), so I'm not sure what's going to happen.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 14, 2009, 04:50:17 am »

I think many of them won't even be measured in any readily available way (shear yield of microcline, etc.).

Hmm well I do have access to several academic sources... Hmm maybe I am confusing what Toady put here.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1065