Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627385 times)

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1995 on: May 07, 2009, 07:36:35 am »

Dwarven sexual organs are just too small for the naked eye to observe.
Or too bearded.

Please. Someone sig that.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Jakkarra

« Reply #1996 on: May 07, 2009, 11:01:28 am »

Done, and Done dude.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 07, 2009, 01:44:48 pm »

Are you kidding Tormy? With the amount of things people attribute to the Magic Arc... Almost everything in current development is part of the magic arc!

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: May 07, 2009, 03:34:44 pm »

What about religions, can we mod into the raws, (in the future) specific deities?

That sounds like my idea to have certain "heroes" defined in the raws, so that you can (almost) always have a Captain Ironblood, Dwarven Champion in your world.

Should I add that to Suggestions?(It might be tricky to do, but I have some ideas.)
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: May 07, 2009, 03:36:16 pm »

What about religions, can we mod into the raws, (in the future) specific deities?

That sounds like my idea to have certain "heroes" defined in the raws, so that you can (almost) always have a Captain Ironblood, Dwarven Champion in your world.

Should I add that to Suggestions?(It might be tricky to do, but I have some ideas.)
I want this.

My Imperials will then worship the Emperor. And it will be GLORIOUS

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: May 07, 2009, 03:42:00 pm »

Toady just touched on the idea of historical figures created by the player.  It would almost certainly not be through the raws, that's far too awkward.

Quote from: Heph
Do we get for the map-painter-thingy a option for placing caves?

There haven't been any changes to the map painter.  Ideally you'd be able to place sites and historical figures and all that sort of thing, but it's kind of a far future goal.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 07, 2009, 04:16:55 pm »

Toady One enters fell mood
Toady One has created a new science: History engineering!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:37:45 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: May 07, 2009, 04:36:53 pm »

A few more questions

1)Will we be able to name Nobles(as in instead of a King, we name it a Warlord for Goblins(just an example))?

2)Will we be able to mod in cybonic parts(that we will be able to make at a blacksmiths, and then be used to replace missing body parts)?

3)We will be able to have reactions for more than the smelter, correct?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: May 07, 2009, 04:38:24 pm »

He also mentioned (I think in that recently posted interview) wanting to do something for adventurers, like finding ways to interweave your past with history.  But it would be even cooler if, when you start a new adventurer, the history generator starts back up so that your adventurer has a "real" history instead of a retconned one.  As it's generating your life, the game could identify potentially pivotal moments and let you make a decision, which would not only change your character's goals but also shape their personality.  Kind of like LCS character generation, but more hardcore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: May 07, 2009, 04:38:33 pm »

A few more questions

1)Will we be able to name Nobles(as in instead of a King, we name it a Warlord for Goblins(just an example))?

2)Will we be able to mod in cybonic parts(that we will be able to make at a blacksmiths, and then be used to replace missing body parts)?

1) I believe this is a yes

2) I believe this is a no

3) I have no idea.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 07, 2009, 04:42:36 pm »

^^^ What he said, with the addition that #3 is a yes, although it's not clear how much resemblance the new reactions will bear to standard ones.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 07, 2009, 08:15:35 pm »

Would these robotic limbs run off pure alcohol?

Could dwarfs drink from their limbs, thus sustain their thirst at the cost of refueling earlier.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 07, 2009, 08:16:00 pm »

Toady One enters fell mood
Toady One has created a new science: History engineering!
Asimov came up with the idea first. Foundation
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 07, 2009, 08:18:23 pm »

What? No Cybonic parts? Even if I modded it in?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2009 on: May 07, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »

Quote from: Footkerchief
So anyway, a next-version related question: will all of the oddball materials like glass, charcoal, potash, and of course water (the kind that gets carried in waterskins, not the flowing kind) be moved out into the raws too?

They aren't there yet, though they have their own material definitions just sitting off in the code now, so loading that from a file instead wouldn't be very hard to add at some point in the future.  The main reason I didn't raw them this time around is the materials for liquids as a flow on the map (water/magma), since those don't currently interact with their material definitions and there are some things to think about there.

Quote from: SirHoneyBadger
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering about--whether there will someday be the option of having more than one "growthspurt", rather than just accumulated size, and additionally, whether that "growthspurt" can also alter/enhance the form and/or nature of a being in question, as the being ages (A classic example would be a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly.).

I don't understand the distinction between growth spurts and changing the size.  As far as I know, a growth spurt is a period of time where something is growing faster than it normally does, and you can set up as many of those as you want with the creatures size.  Something like a metamorphosis is much more involved.  We'll have them at some point, but the bodies need to be handled, and that can be involved.

Quote from: Zironic
What about religions, can we mod into the rars, (in the future) specific deities?
Toady just touched on the idea of historical figures created by the player.  It would almost certainly not be through the raws, that's far too awkward.

Quote from: Heph
Do we get for the map-painter-thingy a option for placing caves?

There haven't been any changes to the map painter.  Ideally you'd be able to place sites and historical figures and all that sort of thing, but it's kind of a far future goal.

Yeah, for the religion question, pretty much the same thing applies (deities are all stored as historical figures).  You'd be able to edit them, and you could also add them to your world in the same way you could write up a painted world in your parameters (whether or not it'll be a parameter or a raw or if that distinction will still exist isn't that important).  Hopefully the format won't be as cumbersome as the painted world format, but there's a lot of information for a historical figure, especially when you get into storing historical events.

Quote from: Qmarx
So, anyway are priests scheduled for showing up in fortress mode again?

Again?  They were never there, if I remember, though you may be asking me to answer a question again.  At some point, dwarven religion should manifest, but I'm just trying to get previous stuff to work again this time around.

Quote from: Org

Yeah, what people said up there is correct.  And no, for #2 there'd need to be the hard-coded mechanic of replacing a limb, which isn't here yet (there's a bloat for it, as well as a goofy power goal).

He also mentioned (I think in that recently posted interview) wanting to do something for adventurers, like finding ways to interweave your past with history.  But it would be even cooler if, when you start a new adventurer, the history generator starts back up so that your adventurer has a "real" history instead of a retconned one.  As it's generating your life, the game could identify potentially pivotal moments and let you make a decision, which would not only change your character's goals but also shape their personality.  Kind of like LCS character generation, but more hardcore.

The issue with restarting the generator is that you might not want the world to advance by more than a decade every time you play (especially if your characters tend to die immediately), but it would be cool as an option, and it would give you the opportunity to have more impact -- however, most of the impact should be during regular play instead of through a Q&A process, I think, so maybe it's not much different from the retconning approach in retrospect.  With retconnning, you'd still be able to make decisions -- they'd just only be able to seriously affect the other new characters that have been pulled up from your abstract population.  That isn't all that bad, since the populations can have attached historical events, so it can be very thorough with respect to the existing history, and you could meet the real old historical figures, just not have an effect up to the level of, say, killing them or taking their important things.  It could insert new events back into the old histories though.  You'd just not want those to make subsequent decisions seem odd.

An exception to the lack of impact (either desired impact in the restart-generator setup or technically feasible impact in the retcon setup) might be the start scenario, as it could involve some of the main historical figures sacrificing you by dropping you into a cave or something, but that is essentially a restart-generator scenario that has run a very short period of time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 1065