Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627387 times)

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1980 on: May 05, 2009, 06:30:39 pm »

I wonder how much of this stuff is going to show in adventure mode, and whether or not there are any specific changes to said mode?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 05, 2009, 08:06:51 pm »

Unfortunately Adventure mode is going to have to wait a bit for some of these changes.

For example without climbing the only method of exploring the caverns without dying is likely to go to an old fortress... meaning your going to have to start a game on fortress mode and abandon it to explore the caverns.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 05, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »

Actually, it sounds like the current underground stuff is going to attempt to accommodate adventurers, kind of like cliff smoothing:

The bottomless chasms and pits are gone right now.  HFS might involve them, who knows?  But in any case the vertical connections will all be finite (haven't done them yet), though before climbing we're aiming on making most or all of the adventurer accessible.

So you should be able to explore them, although they still might have to be breached by a fortress.

The combat is also likely to feel quite different in Adventure Mode.  The new descriptive paragraph generator will presumably be used for creatures that you examine. The entity positions rewrite, and the new goblin leadership thing, may have some impact on how adventurers get quests.  If your civ is friendly with a goblin civ, you might find yourself taking orders from some non-demon megabeast.

I don't think there are any changes aimed exclusively at Adventure Mode, though.

edit: oh, also there's this (emphasis mine again):

Quote from: Aqizzar
I'm more curious about this world-spanning underground-layer ability.  Will adventurers be able to get down there and roam around?  Preferably with fast-travel, unlike the current tunnels?

You'll be able to get down there.  I'm ambivalent about fast travel -- clearly, something is needed, since it takes a long, long time to move around.  However, most of the feeling of discovery and exploration and some of the feeling of lurking danger is lost by allowing fast travel in places like that.  There are some tentative solutions, I guess, like allowing fast travel in areas that have been explored or at least talked about, or change how the travel screen looks underground to make it look more intimate, but we haven't thought it through yet.

Quote from: Tonto
Can we expect some of the new cave systems to follow their geological tendencies - for instance high drainage areas over limestone?  Perhaps something like the caverns and watering holes throughout the Yucatan peninsula.

Most likely not at this point.  The principal goal of this underground update is to improve the fortress progression and adventure mode at a structural level, independent of atmosphere considerations (which are important but can't come first chronologically).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:25:21 pm by Footkerchief »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 06, 2009, 09:56:26 am »

I thought Adventure Mode was also getting trade skills etc added, so you could actually grab a pick and go spelunking...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:58 am »

I thought Adventure Mode was also getting trade skills etc added, so you could actually grab a pick and go spelunking...

Nope especially since you cannot buy picks as far as I know. (Also I don't think you can get trade skill in adventure mode either)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 06, 2009, 10:06:49 am »

Nope especially since you cannot buy picks as far as I know. (Also I don't think you can get trade skill in adventure mode either)

That's exactly what he said he thought was going to happen.  Can't vouch for that belief myself though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 06, 2009, 10:36:03 am »

I meant trade skills as in job (such as mining, masonry, carpentry, etc), not trade as in buy :P
Plus, if necessary, I'd just craft a pick in fort mode (masterful steel or addy picks make a brutal weapon as is, crit boost ftw!)

Anyhoo, it's listed in the army arc overview, specifically

Adventurer Skills Preliminaries
II.B.1: Ability to chop down trees and dig (part of Core85)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 06, 2009, 11:13:00 am »

Right but this release isn't everything in the "Current development" which is where the confusion is comming in.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: May 06, 2009, 12:16:16 pm »

I think it's kind of funny how people think all kinds of stuff is coming in the next release that actually isn't, even when they're doing it inside the thread that lists just about everything that is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 06, 2009, 01:47:20 pm »

The next release will have magic!  ;)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 06, 2009, 02:19:06 pm »

Doubtful... Maybe some basic framework of magic could show up, but I don't think we'll be seeing magic proper for...
Let's see... carry the 2... Several whiles. At least 3.

The next release will have Dwarven brothels.

Not until they stop reproducing with spores. :-X
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 06, 2009, 02:29:04 pm »

Dwarven sexual organs are just too small for the naked eye to observe.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: May 06, 2009, 02:33:01 pm »

Or too bearded.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 07, 2009, 06:51:54 am »

"a dream I wish would come true"... :D
Anyways, magery/magic system isn't part of the v1 dev. cycle sadly. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_future.html
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 1065