Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638091 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1890 on: April 30, 2009, 04:47:54 pm »

A dragon breathing fireballs down a tunnel entrance would, in the real world, rapidly consume oxygen available for stuff like BREATHING.

Unless the Fireballs weren't fueled by Oxygen.

But Plutonium Dragons only exist in Munchkin!
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: April 30, 2009, 05:42:37 pm »

A dragon breathing fireballs down a tunnel entrance would, in the real world, rapidly consume oxygen available for stuff like BREATHING.

Unless the Fireballs weren't fueled by Oxygen.

A ball of FIRE. I can only assume the fireball is a ball of a burning gaseous hydrocarbon. Since oxygen is required for the reaction to occur, it would use oxygen. There just simply aren't enough other reactive gases with enough partial pressure in air to allow for any other reaction to occur. Even deep in a cave, methane would be about the only potentially concentrated gas, and methane would realistically only exothermically react with oxygen.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: April 30, 2009, 05:58:29 pm »

I can only assume the fireball is a ball of a burning gaseous hydrocarbon.

The way dragonfire is treated in the raws makes me think it can do lots of things that normal fire can't.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: April 30, 2009, 06:49:46 pm »

It's magic, thats all.

Although that may not be the right comparison. Its more, "it's magic, science isn't involved"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:53:35 pm by Jackrabbit »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: April 30, 2009, 07:13:36 pm »

reactive gases

Well there are two ways around it

You could simply not use a Gas

You can also use a closed system that vents heat

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: April 30, 2009, 08:09:52 pm »

Ok to handwave the dragonfire with some biologics and real life chemics:

The fireball is made from mix of 2 substances. The "burning" stuff and a Oxygen supplier (like salpter in black-powder). How this works i will tell you:

The 4 "Kidneys" of a dragon filter very efficently White phosphorus from its bodysystem.

The guts of the dragon produce on the other hand ammonia (which also the cause of the stench of the dragon). Unlike at horses Ammonia isnt waste for a dragon since the saliva-glands at the jaw transforms with the help of  following process:

NaCL + CO2 + NH3 + H2O -> NaHCO3 & Nh4CL

the Ammonia in Ammoniaclorid and Natron - the later gets filtered out aigain. "The Ammoniaclorid" now gets by same glands reacted with
"Sodium perchlorate" (=NaClO4 is NACL which in the liver got biolectrical oxidated ) to Ammonia perchlorate.

In contact with a reducer - like white phosphorus this stuff reacts violently (look it up on wikipedia ;) )

A bag shortly above the voicebox of a dragon contains the White phosphor which at the dragons bodytemp is liquid. 2 Ringmuskels controll the mass of the exhaled Phosphorus. This ringmuskels also close in some sort of swallow-reflex the bag if the dragon inhales.
The liquid Phosphorus gets mixed in the mouth of the dragon with ammonia perclorat which the saliva-glands there shot out and thanks to the powerfull lungs of the dragon a burning white phosphrous spray get thrown to our dwarfs.

(All reaction work in reallife and are very very dangerous especally ammonia perchlorate -> another vid on youtube for all whose browsers which wont play the first)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:19:27 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: May 01, 2009, 03:28:03 am »

That's brilliant, Heph!  ;D

I have a question from another thread--hopefully, it hasn't been asked before:

Will the new creature update (as in: the more elaborate way creatures will be put together,) affect the way fat, bones, and meat are handled and produced by the butcher shop? Will it affect butchering at all?

Also,

Will there (if not by the next update, then ever) be a way to obtain (or even mod in) specific "food" type organs (like liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, etc.), specific cuts of meat, or other special substances (that white phosphorous "pouch" comes to mind), via the butcher shop?

And, does anyone know if it's currently possible to add reactions to the Kitchen, so that in addition to tallow, we might add specific animal-fat derivatives, like lard, suet, etc? Not a big deal, I know, and probably not entirely doable right now, but it would be nice to be able to mod in, someday.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:48:23 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: May 01, 2009, 03:41:45 am »

I thought just regular fire from dragons was bad enough, but you're telling me they shoot white phosphorus? As in the "melts concrete" white phosphorus? It would be like a battle between PETA and human rights.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 01, 2009, 04:05:07 am »

You could pierce a dragon's glans to set off an inner explosion!

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1899 on: May 01, 2009, 05:38:37 am »

You could pierce a dragon's glans to set off an inner explosion!

I hope you mean glands  :o

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: May 01, 2009, 05:50:19 am »

sorry Heph, but just as much as science is your ally, it is your enemy

you say the white phosphorus is liquid at a dragons body temperature, but white phosphorus melts at 44°

at that body temperature, the dragon, assuming it is not a magical entity, is thoroughly dead

it would be easier to assume the phosphorus is not liquid, but rather in a powder form, which should be feasible
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 01, 2009, 06:05:06 am »

you say the white phosphorus is liquid at a dragons body temperature, but white phosphorus melts at 44°

at that body temperature, the dragon, assuming it is not a magical entity, is thoroughly dead

I always knew there was something magical about chickens.  Anyway, whether dragonfire is WP or whatever, the whole breathing fire thing kind of implies an unusual tolerance for high temperatures.

This isn't meant to imply any personal support on my part for the WP idea.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:10:38 am by Footkerchief »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: May 01, 2009, 07:46:45 am »

The problem with multitilecreatures was iirc their movment (see: Boats) and to some extend their pathing.

That's correct...which is why Toady has dropped the idea of multi-tile creatures. [Well..perhaps Toady will be able to solve these problems, so that we will have multi-tile creatures in the future...who knows.  :)]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: May 01, 2009, 08:57:13 am »

I always knew there was something magical about chickens.  Anyway, whether dragonfire is WP or whatever, the whole breathing fire thing kind of implies an unusual tolerance for high temperatures.

This isn't meant to imply any personal support on my part for the WP idea.

wtf ?
at that temperature proteins start to harden
yes, eventhose in your average chicken meat

I am perplexed
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: May 01, 2009, 01:03:22 pm »

Even harder is the desert iguana which according to wikipedia (DE) survives a internal bodytemperatur of 47°C with ease ;). And the a body temp of 50°C ata dragon would be almost handwaveable with speciual proteins and higher inner cellpresure. XD

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 1065