Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578361 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1860 on: April 28, 2009, 06:52:10 am »

Also, Scamps is like my cat! Except mines a kitten...

Not really...Scamps doesn't have a tail!  :D

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 28, 2009, 08:42:09 am »

I believe that mechanic is called FPS. At least, it's a temporary measure anyway until everyone's computers evolve.

Your computer evolves?  I have to upgrade mine manually.
Yeah, the trick is to keep your computer in the first slot of the party and swap to your second on the first turn of combat.
I see.

I don't have a second computer.  Do you know of any good places to catch one in the wild?
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 28, 2009, 08:49:09 am »

I was thinking about Trolls recently.  Because there's probably another wall of answers in the near future-

Toady, does the body and healing system support any kind of regeneration?  Like for Trolls.  Do creatures have a natural healing rate?  In which it could just be cranked really high.  But what about regrowing limbs or organs?

Obviously you have some scenarios and such for underground creatures and events.  How soon (or likely) do you think it is for applying such functions to above ground locations?  Like Trolls attacking people crossing a bridge.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:20 am »

And on a somewhat related note to Aqizzar's question, will we sometime in the future be able to make creatures that continuously grow over time? There's just something about a 2000 year old giant turtle that spans multiple world squares that makes my blood tingle.

What I mean is: creatures that either keep growing over time, or temporarily expand when they're under attack, or grow when they feed (devourers?)...
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: April 28, 2009, 11:14:13 am »

I guess you could still define many separate phases through the life of the turtle, with increasing size.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: April 28, 2009, 11:46:45 am »

Hey guys, I'm not levelling accusations or anything, but on second glance I think the photo with the shoe was shooped.  I can't quite put my finger on what, though...

So, what was scamps originally holding?

If you look at the original picture (from the dev-log), that one wasn't photoshopped.  So...what are you up to...?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: April 28, 2009, 01:30:41 pm »

I was thinking about Trolls recently.  Because there's probably another wall of answers in the near future-

Toady, does the body and healing system support any kind of regeneration?  Like for Trolls.  Do creatures have a natural healing rate?  In which it could just be cranked really high.  But what about regrowing limbs or organs?

Obviously you have some scenarios and such for underground creatures and events.  How soon (or likely) do you think it is for applying such functions to above ground locations?  Like Trolls attacking people crossing a bridge.

Regeneration was already touched on:

Quote from: SirHoneyBadger
With the new variable tissue healing rates, is the act of healing itself going to exist on a different timescale from immediate actions, or will it be constantly occurring? For instance, if two dwarfs are brawling, and one scratches their elbow, does the elbow immediately start healing then and there? Or does it wait until after the combat is over?

If it starts right away, then critters might have extreme rates of healing, either extremely fast (so that it happens even as you wound the critter) or extremely slow.
Not quite "regeneration", but something beyond the norm, as a stand-in for true regeneration.

Also, from my understanding, there are secondary injuries planned (a broken rib might pierce a lung), do those include such a thing as inflammation? scabbing? the clotting of blood? I'm guessing infection is already somewhere in the works, and I think I read in-depth bruising is planned, but not for this version. Scarification I already know is out for now.

It starts right away.  You can make the rates pretty fast, almost like regeneration.  I remember writing about this, and I did the calculations there, but maybe it was just an email...  in any case, you could get away with healing heavy damage fully after an hour?  Or was it faster.  I think it was pretty fast, and that it wouldn't be very hard to make it faster or instantaneous as needed with a little change.

I think infection got purpled out in the list (hidden under venom)...  there's bruising, but I'm not sure what in-depth means.  Scars are in.  Scabs aren't in at this time.  Swelling only works with poison for now, though it's easily extendable since the swelling is a property of the wound.

I think I mentioned somewhere long ago that there's currently only one rate slot available per tissue layer, though you can set the stop/start point and the rate.  This goes for healing or growth or whatever else.  Healing rates are measured in tenths of seasonal ticks, I think, which have a resolution of something like 1200 per day, so you could heal up a full fracture in 2 hours I guess, at the fastest.  That could be amplified easily with an additional variable (so that it heals more than 1% each tick at the fastest rate, leading to perfect healing in 1/1200 of a day if you like), but I don't want to get bogged down this time around.  Growth rates are grainier, but they also have the extra variable, so you can have things grow a lot each day, but a day is the finest scale here (speed thing for now, can tweak it later if there's room).

As for this:

And on a somewhat related note to Aqizzar's question, will we sometime in the future be able to make creatures that continuously grow over time? There's just something about a 2000 year old giant turtle that spans multiple world squares that makes my blood tingle.

What I mean is: creatures that either keep growing over time, or temporarily expand when they're under attack, or grow when they feed (devourers?)...

Continuous growth, yes.  But they won't become multitile creatures -- that's something else entirely that the engine just doesn't support.  Expanding when under attack is very unlikely.  Growing when they feed is at least sort of possible with the new [THICKENS_ON_ENERGY_STORAGE] tissue tag, although I don't know whether tissue growth is realized as an overall change in size.

I guess you could still define many separate phases through the life of the turtle, with increasing size.

I believe you can only specify a start date, a stop date, and a growth rate during that one period.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: April 28, 2009, 02:20:11 pm »

Hey guys, I'm not levelling accusations or anything, but on second glance I think the photo with the shoe was shooped.  I can't quite put my finger on what, though...

So, what was scamps originally holding?

If you look at the original picture (from the dev-log), that one wasn't photoshopped.  So...what are you up to...?

It looks like, the image had the middle of it removed, making scamps much shorter... scamps has been dwarfed!
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 28, 2009, 03:38:25 pm »

^ Oh, come on, that can't be the case.  The fur lines up perfectly...   :D

And on a somewhat related note to Aqizzar's question, will we sometime in the future be able to make creatures that continuously grow over time? There's just something about a 2000 year old giant turtle that spans is multiple world squares that makes my blood tingle.
Logical extension correction

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: April 28, 2009, 05:03:26 pm »

Hey, just small wooden bridges over streams would be good to see. Gives you an idea if you're close to civilisation.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 29, 2009, 01:18:15 am »

I believe that mechanic is called FPS. At least, it's a temporary measure anyway until everyone's computers evolve.
Yeah, the trick is to keep your computer in the first slot of the party and swap to your second on the first turn of combat.
I don't have a second computer.  Do you know of any good places to catch one in the wild?
Unfortunately, they're not tameable.
Finis sanctificat media.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 29, 2009, 01:33:59 am »

Unfortunately, they're not tameable.
If you have two lives, you can restart one to trade your computer to your main life. If you have the proper cable. It's easier if you have a friend.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 29, 2009, 05:59:12 am »

Yeah that photo has been edited,

Look at Scamps elbow and look at the left side of the shoe..   the whole thing doesn't even line up.

It is an engraving. I can tell by the rock grains, having seen many engravings in my time.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 29, 2009, 02:23:26 pm »

I see.

Tall grass?
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: April 29, 2009, 02:32:19 pm »

Okay, enough with the pokemon.

Continuous growth, yes.  But they won't become multitile creatures -- that's something else entirely that the engine just doesn't support.  Expanding when under attack is very unlikely.  Growing when they feed is at least sort of possible with the new [THICKENS_ON_ENERGY_STORAGE] tissue tag, although I don't know whether tissue growth is realized as an overall change in size.

Well, you have to admit Toady will have to work on multi-tiled creatures sooner or later. Dragons the size of dwarves and beds the size of dragons is just plain weird on some occasions if you think about it.
Special reactions when attacking, idle or feeding could be interesting in the far off future. But I guess that's one for the suggestions forum as well.

As for this [THICKENS_ON_ENERGY_STORAGE] tag, where can I read up on this?
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 1065