Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638473 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1785 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:51 pm »

Hey we just ship you some pumps (+ our awesome windmilltech) from Siemens and build some drainage channels on the german-side. We wont get the Netherlends drowned cause we need someone to laugth at the soccer-WM.

The undergroundpeople sound awesome and we finely get some natives for the overground too (hopefully) apart from Kobolds.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:28:53 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 21, 2009, 02:04:37 pm »

I don't get why they built walls for that anyway - wouldn't it be easier to just drain the ocean? Pump it off the edge of the map, or boil it or something. Or use an atom smasher.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: April 21, 2009, 02:12:26 pm »

The pro is that you dont have a flow which makes pumping out easyser and way faster.

Also you dont need to pump out the entire ocean if you want build only on a little batch of it.

edit:

Toady can we get a little video of the Underground features as soon as they are done? It would be nice to see them "in Action".
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:51:50 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: April 21, 2009, 06:31:44 pm »

Toady, with the new underground layers, is there a possibility for sand to show up there as well as in the surface layers?  Along the banks of the water areas, for example?  A simple yes/no will suffice if you don't want to spoil the (potential for) surprise(s), but since sand is vital for any sort of glass operation, I was curious.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:06 pm »

...gimmeh sand...

Excellent question, Dame, hats off to you.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 21, 2009, 10:04:30 pm »

It is good question indeed.

Toady will there be some sort of semi-chasms? So chasm like formations that lead into a cave(-lakes) rather then to the nothingness beyond - like if the ceiling of said cave just collapsed?

Like in this (underwater) case:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Proud to be a Furry.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: April 22, 2009, 01:13:13 am »

That just frightens me. It's like a mouth in the ground.

Lord Aether

• Bay Watcher
  • FOR THE DWARVES!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: April 22, 2009, 01:26:59 am »

But really awesome, still.
The bunny likes you.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 22, 2009, 04:40:33 am »

These kinds of awesome additions make me feel like donating again
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 22, 2009, 04:56:40 am »

I'm already planning on my Hell world mod, where demons and other monsters constantly attack from the deep.

mwahahahahahaha

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:00 am »

Nice, it looks like that depopulation won't be an issue anymore! ->
04/20/2009
"The next step is to get those placed in the layers so that it has a very large pool of critters to draw from, something that could theoretically be exhausted but wouldn't happen in practice in dwarf mode, as they don't have to send every last critter after you while they breed back up and you can't currently hunt all of them down (at which point the entire world will be opened up and the exhaustion of local critters won't matter so much, even assuming this is the only angle of attack from below, which isn't the case)."

Good news!  8)

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 22, 2009, 10:40:31 am »

Two questions for the wall of answers:

Will the new underground layer be exportable as a detailed map?

How will the descriptions fit in adventure mode? something like "l" > "a - elf swordsman" > "d - description"?
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 22, 2009, 10:58:34 am »

New devlog:

04/21/2009: The animal people civilizations are now placed in the layers, associated to large populations, and I added the map revealing mechanism that I mentioned back on the 3rd. I took my first adventurer down into an abandoned fort that had penetrated an underground layer and walked over to the next world map square, so that all seems to be working. Next up likely the attack revamp.

So what did the new implementation of map revealing end up looking like?  It did occur to me that maybe you could do some rough LOS stuff, like only do LOS calcs for dwarves on the fringe of revealed areas.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:02:03 am by Footkerchief »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: April 22, 2009, 11:00:47 am »

By "attack revamp" is that a combat thing, or is it code to make the critters attack in waves/in response to dumping/whatever?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: April 22, 2009, 11:04:00 am »

By "attack revamp" is that a combat thing, or is it code to make the critters attack in waves/in response to dumping/whatever?

99% sure it's the latter.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 1065