Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638461 times)

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1770 on: April 20, 2009, 08:56:48 pm »

Toady: Are you going to add support for building downwards stairs?

Without them these caves could be really irritating, since once you've breached a cavern roof the only way to build a staircase to the bottom would be to dig a tunnel all the way around and build one up. And if you can only see part of the cavern (with the new revealing technique) then even this will be difficult.

It's a "consider" for this release:
# Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open spaces
I feel incredibly stupid for missing that. Thanks!

Hope that include walls.
That way it will be easier to build a dam

I don't know, you'd still have to pump the water out or something - and if there's no water there, you may as well dig a ramp down and build the wall from the lower level.

Personally, I'd like to see a specification for every item type to say how much space it takes up. Then we couldn't stack items infinitely in a square, and it could even get intricate enough that simply chucking rocks into a river would, over a long period of time, slow the flow drastically and cause it to flood around the obstruction.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: April 20, 2009, 08:57:46 pm »

He meant just trowing dirt into the ocean untill he has a island (i asume) respective using big Boulders/logs as pillars somehow. Just like the Netherlands, Dubai, or the Inka did.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: April 21, 2009, 04:57:27 am »

He meant just trowing dirt into the ocean untill he has a island (i asume) respective using big Boulders/logs as pillars somehow. Just like the Netherlands, Dubai, or the Inka did.
As a Dutchman, I have to correct you there, we didn't make an island, we made a big dam around an area and set up winmill-powered pumps to get/keep 'em dry. That's why polders tend to have a ring of water around them, getting rid of rainwater.
Anyway, back to the discussion. I like the idea of being able to make those kind of islands, and being able to demolish them later, as it would enable us to make free-standing, windowed, non-rectangular underwater fortresses. which are awesome.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: April 21, 2009, 05:15:03 am »

As a Dutchman, I have to correct you there, we didn't make an island, we made a big dam around an area and set up winmill-powered pumps to get/keep 'em dry. That's why polders tend to have a ring of water around them, getting rid of rainwater.
Anyway, back to the discussion. I like the idea of being able to make those kind of islands, and being able to demolish them later, as it would enable us to make free-standing, windowed, non-rectangular underwater fortresses. which are awesome.
That is quite awesome.
"Who's John Galt?"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: April 21, 2009, 05:40:39 am »

My friends Dutch. It must have been awesome. I really would like to visit someday

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: April 21, 2009, 08:08:45 am »

But as us Belgians gleefully know, the Netherlands will be the first to go if global warming keeps making the sea level rise. Bwaha, ahahaha, AHAHAHAHAHAH!

*aherm* Sorry bout that. Weak Belgian-Dutch rivalry humor.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 21, 2009, 08:37:58 am »

I'm growing terribly anxious as the release closes in.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: April 21, 2009, 08:54:39 am »

But as us Belgians gleefully know, the Netherlands will be the first to go if global warming keeps making the sea level rise. Bwaha, ahahaha, AHAHAHAHAHAH!

We all know Belgium will descend into anarchy long before The Netherlands will suffer from a severe increase in sea levels ;)

(Yup, I'm Dutch ;))

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 21, 2009, 09:07:51 am »

Don't grow too anxious just yet.  It's a ways off still.  As in months.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 21, 2009, 09:09:54 am »

And we all know, America, although obese and stupid, wins in the end.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 21, 2009, 09:15:13 am »

Don't grow too anxious just yet.  It's a ways off still.  As in months.

As I could control my anxiety. I know it's months off.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 21, 2009, 10:36:55 am »

I laughed.
By the time your petty inside struggles bring you down, and the wter rises that full meter we have in back up on dike height...
We use our awesome wealth as a dominant trading pwer to di the impossible.

We make the dikes higher.
/And from here the thread descends into intra-benelux rivalry.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1782 on: April 21, 2009, 10:40:55 am »

Mass Empires! There is now a way for empires to have abstract populations in the underground! Rejoice!

Now 10000000000-strong invasions are plausible!

I am sure that this will be added to goblins or elves at some point, and the world will be at least 13% more awesome.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jakkarra

« Reply #1783 on: April 21, 2009, 10:49:43 am »

the ONLY problem with the mass-empires thing is the pathfinding, but there are ways to fix that, it wont look nice, and itll be annoying, but itll fix it.....

more to the point, i am really looking forwards to the next version with all the new features apparantly being implemented. butim not setting them too high unless the Cat Of Death "accidentally" falls on toady's keyboard and destroys the work. although that is completely implausible, and will never happen, i hope........

also, im gong to LOVE the new mass Elfocide machines i will have to design. if conveyor belts ever get implemented again, not getting my hopes up too much i can forsee some entire fortresses for the task of automated Elf, SMASH, rot, bones, bolts, crossbows, Pwnage.. i cant fathom all of the possibilities....

incidentally, i have to say, this is the most intelligent, coherant (to a point) and overall best forum i have ever had the pleasure to frequent!

Love, jakkarra

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 21, 2009, 11:46:37 am »

But as us Belgians gleefully know, the Netherlands will be the first to go ifwhen global warming keeps makingcauses the sea level to rise. Bwaha, ahahaha, AHAHAHAHAHAH!

We all know Belgium will descend into anarchy long before The Netherlands will suffer from a severe increase in sea levels ;)

(Yup, I'm Dutch ;))
Then the Dutch and French will have to send in peacekeepers and we will relocate all our people with wet feet syndrome to Flanders. Mwahahaha!
Our masterplan is almost coming to fruition. The decadent *beer* will  be ours!

:lol:
yeah, we will continue to raise our dikes and upgrade our drainage pumps, but at a certain point, I suspect we will be drowned not by the sea, but by rain runoff from the rest of Europe funnelling down the Meuze and Rhine. You know that one of the expected effects of global warming will  be changes in rainfall patterns. :(
Also the gulfstream might crap out on us and throw us some frosty winters....nice, maybe we won't have to give up iceskating afterall. ;)

Dubai's arteficial islands are being done by a Dutch company BTW. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:55:56 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 1065