Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578401 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1725 on: April 19, 2009, 01:46:51 pm »

Yeah, this looks awesome although I would like the cave systems to be a little smaller. I still want to have space for an underground ecosystem, but enough space for a fortress as well.

And Toady, you should make use of the DFMA. Way better than giant pngs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 19, 2009, 01:48:26 pm »

I still want to have space for an underground ecosystem, but enough space for a fortress as well.

I don't see where the large underground ecosystem contradicts this. Can't you just dig under it?

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 19, 2009, 02:27:11 pm »

Are those big quasi-circular deposits normal?  I've never noticed them in that pattern before, but in the screenshots it's pretty apparent that you get a single big circular splash of Other_Stone in each tile of your n-by-n embark site, and that you get different ones between layers.  So the upper left corner of my embark site could have MICROCLINE on one layer and ORPIMENT on the next layer down, and then alternating layers of cyan and yellow, with little regard for how a sandwiched cylinder of such godawful colors came to exist.

I like the randomness of the veins, although they seem to run at 45-degree angles with right-angle turns most of the time.

The caves kind of worry me -- I am used to thinking of my fortress as a scary surface layer protected by several reassuringly solid layers of stone. 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: April 19, 2009, 02:32:39 pm »

Are those big quasi-circular deposits normal?  I've never noticed them in that pattern before, but in the screenshots it's pretty apparent that you get a single big circular splash of Other_Stone in each tile of your n-by-n embark site, and that you get different ones between layers.  So the upper left corner of my embark site could have MICROCLINE on one layer and ORPIMENT on the next layer down, and then alternating layers of cyan and yellow, with little regard for how a sandwiched cylinder of such godawful colors came to exist.

Yeah, that's how the big deposits have always been placed and yeah, it looks terrible.  Hopefully deposits will be made more interesting and unpredictable, but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't make it into this release, since it's not strictly necessary for the slated underground stuff.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 19, 2009, 02:40:26 pm »

Toady has also stated that the amount of underground stuff will be controllable in the init, so you don't need to worry. These shots are probably on the high end for amount of underground stuff so he can fully test it out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 19, 2009, 02:45:19 pm »

Toady did add the random aspect to magma pipes, so I guess filling in borders of large round areas isn't much of a technical problem. I think just placing three identical globs of one mineral across three layers, and then reducing the top and bottom ones slightly more than the center one will accomplish the quasi-random 3Dness aspect of cluster placement quite nicely.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 19, 2009, 03:44:15 pm »

I do like that the player reaction to finding big jumbles of passages in the stone will probably be "Clear it all out, and construct something better".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: April 19, 2009, 04:22:57 pm »

Looks like we need some pumps and bridges (and aybe ropeladders) to get to some of the goodies.

Also yay for underground ecosystems.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 19, 2009, 04:51:13 pm »

Looks like we need some pumps and bridges (and aybe ropeladders) to get to some of the goodies.
I consider this a good thing.  It's not a game if there's no challenge, after all. ;D
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: April 19, 2009, 05:23:06 pm »

Hey its definitley a good thing. My dad was long years in brown-coal mining so i know about that a bit. I also have seen very much Mines and caves myself and with the new stuff it finally feels like being really underground. And the ecosystem gives an additional nice Fantasy touch without being to unreasonable.

edit:

My Pa was constantly swearing some days if the pumps were of :P . Would be neat to have slower leaking Auiffers so the the Z-level doesnt flood almost imediatly and the dwarfs could setup floodgates and maybe walls till a Water-hight of 3. And sandbags for bariers (1 bag = 1 waterlevel + very slow leakage?).

Next thing i would like to see would be worldgen/ADV mode Mines tapping in such features.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 05:43:05 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tonto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 19, 2009, 06:32:07 pm »

The mass connection does raise the question Toady brought up before.  So whenever the next wall of answers comes around - Any ideas on what to do about mass, psychic revelation of the cave's interior?

I am concerned about the same thing. While it's definitely not up to me, I think an ideal situation at this point would be to reveal one Z-level above your explorers and one Z-level below as they reach each new ramp or dig a staircase into a lower level.  After all, it's dark down there. Layers of water could also inhibit revealing, so that an area has to be at least significantly drained before it can be discovered.  Something like that would be great on existing lairs and reclaimed fortresses as well.

This, of course, coming from a non-programmer who knows nothing about how either system works. :P Whatever Toady comes up with I'm sure will be preferable to the current system.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 19, 2009, 07:16:46 pm »

Yeah, this looks awesome although I would like the cave systems to be a little smaller. I still want to have space for an underground ecosystem, but enough space for a fortress as well.

I've seen this statement a couple of times now, and I'll be honest - I don't get it in the slightest. I can understand how rivers and magma could totally screw up fortress design, but I don't understand how a cave would. It might take a little bit more time, but I can't see how it would actually change the layout of a cool looking fort. Help?

(My inability to understand this might be due to a tendency to build Helms Deep style fortresses, half inside and half jutting out of the mountain, with fancy walls and turrets. But I dunno, I guess I just don't understand the bias against walls.)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: April 19, 2009, 08:02:17 pm »

I've seen this statement a couple of times now, and I'll be honest - I don't get it in the slightest. I can understand how rivers and magma could totally screw up fortress design, but I don't understand how a cave would. It might take a little bit more time, but I can't see how it would actually change the layout of a cool looking fort. Help?

People will generally prefer natural walls to artificial ones, especially since there are still a lot of in-game distinctions between the two (see: engravings). This all matters more if constructed walls can ever be breached, since then you might end up having a paper-thin wall at one end of the fort separating it from the chasm.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: April 19, 2009, 09:40:33 pm »

...but I can't see how it would actually change the layout of a cool looking fort.

A lot of people want a perfectly clean canvas to craft their masterpiece fortress on..  spending hours without unpausing the game just setting up the 'ideal' design from the onset. That type of time investment is all gone to waste if you find a gigantic open cavity where you wanted to put the masterful bedroom suites. Yeah, you can patch trouble areas with walls and floors, but I can see how it could be annoying for that type of player.

As many others have suggested, an init option and/or worldgen searches for features you do/do not specifically want is the best solution to make as many people happy as possible.

Personally, while I can see the fun in building that perfect fort exactly the way you want, I think it is more challenging and realistic to build that perfect fort around the available landscape..  just like real dorfs and gobos have to.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: April 19, 2009, 09:44:15 pm »

Building perfect forts? That's what the sky exists for.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 1065