Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638389 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1680 on: April 17, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »

Drop the AV. Seriously. Though DF doesn't write to disk all that often, some AV's tend to just analyze the program's activity when it's running.

Also, get Process Explorer and look for anything that eats CPU time alongside DF.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hyperion2010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 17, 2009, 05:51:06 pm »

Toady, will there someday be plate techtonics and fault lines so that we can have earthquakes? :D

Ya, I realize that cave colapeses havent even been added in yet, but seismic activity would be an excellent layer to add in.  (unless it's slipped my mind and is in already????)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: April 17, 2009, 07:10:20 pm »

Well, the information to get a lot of that is so spread out it's hard to find, unless I want to read a years worth of Toadies post history.

Thanks for the answers!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
« Reply #1683 on: April 17, 2009, 07:37:08 pm »

Well, the information to get a lot of that is so spread out it's hard to find, unless I want to read a years worth of Toadies post history.

Thanks for the answers!
Ctrl F is your friend... and if something feels like too much "work" for you, is it fair to expect other people to do it?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: April 17, 2009, 07:39:15 pm »

Hmmm we should get all of the toads WoTs and consolidate them into a "Super wall of text" on the Wiki maybe.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 17, 2009, 08:11:41 pm »

Drop the AV. Seriously. Though DF doesn't write to disk all that often, some AV's tend to just analyze the program's activity when it's running.

Also, get Process Explorer and look for anything that eats CPU time alongside DF.
I use Avast.  Less of a performance impact than practically any other AV I've used.

Besides, I'm not the one with performance issues.  I apparently run DF better than I have any right to. ;D
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: April 17, 2009, 08:15:19 pm »

Thanks for the answers!
Ctrl F is your friend... and if something feels like too much "work" for you, is it fair to expect other people to do it?

Who wants to bet he pulled most of that from memory?   ;)
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: April 17, 2009, 09:11:30 pm »

So, I'm thinking it may have been covering when there were earlier squad discussions, but I'm wondering if there will be any changes to how Fortress mode handles other weapons like bows and knives and stuff.  Will the next version have better support for them?  As of now, any dwarf with skill enough to change their profession in an odd weapon like bows or knives becomes more like a 'friendly' dwarf than a dwarf from your civilization.  You can't control them or anything.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: April 17, 2009, 10:23:39 pm »

So, I'm thinking it may have been covering when there were earlier squad discussions, but I'm wondering if there will be any changes to how Fortress mode handles other weapons like bows and knives and stuff.  Will the next version have better support for them?  As of now, any dwarf with skill enough to change their profession in an odd weapon like bows or knives becomes more like a 'friendly' dwarf than a dwarf from your civilization.  You can't control them or anything.

I'm not quite sure if it's what you're getting at, but maybe there could someday be a skill that allows our dwarfs to learn to carry more than one weapon around at a time?

It wouldn't be so very far afield from the Armour User skill.
For they would be your masters.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: April 17, 2009, 10:31:46 pm »

No, no.  I'm getting at just general changes to how you choose a weapon for your dwarves.  If I want bowdwarves, I should be able to train my dwarves to use bows, not just crossbows.  I can with Dwarf Manager, but then, once they become bowdwarves and are no longer recruits, I can't do anything with them.  They disappear from the military screen and I can't do anything with their preferences to deactivate their squad.  They still exist and I can see them in the units menu, but oh well.

I'm wanting to know if this was rehauled so the bug isn't even a problem now, or if I still have to train only crossbowdwarves and no bowdwarves.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 17, 2009, 10:40:03 pm »

Toady has stated that there will be ways to get your dwarves to use non-standard equipment now. Not sure how it'll play out, but there was a post about at one point.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: April 18, 2009, 12:38:53 am »

Oh ok. I was a little unclear on what you were asking. Not your fault at all, my brain's just fried.

I'd really like it if we were someday able to mandate some varied cultural and "racial" (as in, dwarfs of different distinct races, not beings of different species) aspects that we like onto the basic "dwarf/central mountainhome" generica. It'd be neat to see dwarfs of many cultures interacting, each with their own customs, traditions, and ways of doing things, but still *dwarfs*.
For they would be your masters.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: April 18, 2009, 01:18:35 am »

Toady, I know we haven't gotten to the squad control area yet, but are you planning to put toggleable training limits on the dwarf soldiers while sparring sort of like we have on the workshops?

For example, in my worlds I assume all dwarfs would have a natural disposition to warfare, even peasants and craftsdwarfs, so I want to train all dwarfs up to a certain level in the armor/weapons skill categories, but don't want them to train after that...however, I don't want to babysit each and every dwarf or have more announcement spam to learn when they skill up, I just want them to train to a certain level and be ready for when I need them to get back to civilian work.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: April 18, 2009, 01:25:44 am »

With every feature turned on, but on a map without rivers or magma or chasms or pretty much anything but Fun Stuff, with 96 dorfs, I get 40 FPS when I don't do anything.

Well I'm stumped...

Just double-checking, how many icons do you have in your taskbar?

When running DF, I generally have sound, internet, power, disk speed monitor, ghost-disk monitor, touchpad monitor, and antivirus.  Anything else gets the boot before I start it up.

Sometimes, AIM, but mIRC should be more lightweight than that.

Lessee. Avira Antivir Personal, Pidgin, Kana Reminder, Volume, Sound Effect, NVidia Settings, Opera.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: April 18, 2009, 03:40:40 am »

Just pull up task manager and check the CPU usage while you're playing.

Incidentally, I run Antivir, and when it fires up a scan in the background, my fps drops from 50 odd to utter dirt.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 1065