Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627507 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1560 on: April 14, 2009, 02:53:50 pm »

Oh no it wouldn't. I have a computer that can power such atrocities now, so I'm all for the "more bizzare" team!  :D

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: April 14, 2009, 02:58:05 pm »

Think of all the people with rubbish computers! It'd put off one-third of the playerbase, and be another terrible obstacle for new players.

"Yeah, you need to modify the raws, like before you start. Read the wiki."

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 14, 2009, 03:03:31 pm »

Wow.  Those are amazing caves.  I'm only concerned that they probably shouldn't be so open everywhere in the world.  However, it's so easy to think of a variety of features being placed down in such a vast system, and discovering them is going to be awesome.  It's much more flexible as a place where an actual ecosystem can support such large predators as the bear-sized GCS and the other monsters we're likely to mod in.  In the midst of it all, there are little nooks and crannies where you can just happen to find the corner of a buried temple.

Then there's the attacks from underground.  I cannot wait for the next release!

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 14, 2009, 03:22:01 pm »

It has been a bit since I checked this post and all I want to say is...

*gleee*

Can't wait.  Underground features, soap having a function, underground features, all the afflictions that now can be caused to the dwarfs...

Tonto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 14, 2009, 03:37:55 pm »

Exciting stuff! This new update is so interesting to me I finally decided to quit forum-lurking and post a question. ;D

Can we expect some of the new cave systems to follow their geological tendencies - for instance high drainage areas over limestone?  Perhaps something like the caverns and watering holes throughout the Yucatan peninsula.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 14, 2009, 03:43:32 pm »

God, I hope so. Limestone caves. Awesome.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 14, 2009, 03:46:30 pm »

Exciting stuff! This new update is so interesting to me I finally decided to quit forum-lurking and post a question. ;D

Can we expect some of the new cave systems to follow their geological tendencies - for instance high drainage areas over limestone?  Perhaps something like the caverns and watering holes throughout the Yucatan peninsula.

I don't think he's actively working on this feature, but at some point the handling of stone materials may be in-depth enough to cause effects like this to show up naturally.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 14, 2009, 04:10:54 pm »

This update is even more awsome then the first screenshots of the z-axis.

Hopefully, we'll also be able to:
. Embark anywhere, like on top of mountains and other dwarf cities, so we can pimp out their stuff and get more feature site options.

. Embark underground if the civ has access, like starting inside a tunnel or cave or... cave river/chasm, if it has a sufficiently large bank/cliff edge

. Alter the vertical of fortresses (even if only at start-up!) so we can see if the chasm really is bottomless. Height 0 to 400 fortresses in the 2x2, hitting adamantine every 5 floors below 100! WOO! ;D
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 14, 2009, 04:44:12 pm »

What's up with the wagon in the first screenshot? Do different types of wood have different colours now?
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 14, 2009, 04:47:42 pm »

What's up with the wagon in the first screenshot? Do different types of wood have different colours now?
Hopefully it's on fire.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 14, 2009, 04:51:49 pm »

Maybe it's a stone wagon? :)

But yeah, I suppose the wood should have slightly different colors.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 14, 2009, 06:36:25 pm »

It is odd, isn't it.  I'm guessing it's a part of the new material system Toady implemented.  So cool.

The caves look AWESOME Toady!  Woooo!!!!  I can't wait for the naturally occurring underground forests!
Fefeshnelmargalip

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 14, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »

Those caves look good indeed.  I just wish there were more narrow passageways instead of just huge open spaces just for the sake of variation.  A few chasms here and there would be neat too.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 14, 2009, 07:40:47 pm »

So, about the caves.

Oh.  My.  God.  Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

Also, isn't the other Future of the Fortress thread for talking about the devlog?  I guess all the conversation has consolidated over here, just feels a little sad to see that thread dieing off.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 14, 2009, 08:18:24 pm »

Whoah...
That is all.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 1065