Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627517 times)

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1545 on: April 14, 2009, 11:28:59 am »

Dude... :o

I have a 108 dwarf fortress (popcap of 100) that's smaller than that sample cave. Nuts.

Now imagine that with a civilization of ants inside. Nutser.

Now imagine Hidden Fun Stuff being that big, with lakes of magma and actual rooms for the "inhabitants". Nutsest.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 14, 2009, 11:31:43 am »

Imagine fully underground civilizations trading with you or launching sieges from underground.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: April 14, 2009, 11:42:46 am »

Now imagine all of the above while having sex.

That's what DF is going to feel like when this gets released. I mean, seriously. This is fricking amazing!
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 14, 2009, 11:43:15 am »

Imagine fully underground civilizations trading with you or launching sieges from underground.

It would be cool if undergrounders warred with each other as well, and vied for control of territory.  You know, something like scattered tribes of gremlins being wiped out one by one by a spirit of fire commanding an army of magma men.  I doubt the current territory stuff is Z-flexible, but maybe later.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 14, 2009, 11:50:50 am »

Yes but it would need HUGE underground areas or some method of connecting them.

Hmm which Toady seems to have both. So it is possible! so Toady only needs to get it up.

Toady How long until huge country wide underground areas or bridging underground pockets?

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 14, 2009, 11:52:40 am »

Those screen shots on the dev board are amazing. 

Even if Toady does nothing else, this has already made the underground sufficiently interesting for this release (in my opinion).  Knowing that there is going to be even more awesome stuff down there is just going to make waiting for this next release even worse!  I wonder if there will be caves or natural openings to the surface that will give access to these things.

It's just too bad that we don't have better light sources... I imagine that you won't really get the epic feel of those caverns while wandering around with your adventurer and seeing only the immediately adjacent 8 spaces.
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 14, 2009, 11:52:55 am »

Toady How long until huge country wide underground areas or bridging underground pockets?

Well, it sounds like that's in already too.

Quote from: dev log
This particular layer covers the entire world and can be walked through from end to end by an adventurer (though I haven't tested that yet, it looks fine so far).

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: April 14, 2009, 12:05:02 pm »

Good to know we can still expect huge swaths of microcline, cobaltite, and gypsum.

...or not.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: April 14, 2009, 12:17:48 pm »

Those screen shots on the dev board are amazing. 

Even if Toady does nothing else, this has already made the underground sufficiently interesting for this release (in my opinion).  Knowing that there is going to be even more awesome stuff down there is just going to make waiting for this next release even worse!  I wonder if there will be caves or natural openings to the surface that will give access to these things.

It's just too bad that we don't have better light sources... I imagine that you won't really get the epic feel of those caverns while wandering around with your adventurer and seeing only the immediately adjacent 8 spaces.

Gotta agree, those are pretty awesome. Maybe a little excessive for a fortress site, but still very, very awesome if that's an indicator of what cave layers are capable of.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:18 pm »

That looks like fun (not that kind of fun). I love trying to make my forts follow the landscape, and it looks like buidling around these/with them will be very interesting. 

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 14, 2009, 01:20:33 pm »

:o  :o  :o

woah
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 14, 2009, 02:16:08 pm »

How would that be announced when you hit one? "You have tunneled into a pretty damn big cave".

How about "You have breached the surface"?

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: April 14, 2009, 02:31:47 pm »

I hope they can be made even more open. I also hope this means that all you lizardmen and snakemen will stop falling into chasms.

I honestly worry about how it's going to look, and how it'll eat FPS if there are inhabitants, but we'll see. I also worry about aquifer and magma pipe interaction, and HFS, too. If they interconnect, when you embark your FPS will be nothing for twenty minutes and your unit list will have dozens of flaming ratmen, or drowned antmen or whatever, or a huge case of obsidian when water and magma meet, or, say, DEMONS FROM HELL EATING YOUR FACE! Especially annoying if you "Breach the HFS" on embark and get the king in the first migration. But I digest.

It looks really neat and it'll be very interesting building forts around that kind of stuff. I just hope stable underground lakes are in.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 14, 2009, 02:39:47 pm »

You digest?

I don't care about all that stuff. In fact, it actually sounds cooler if it actually happens. I want an endlessly respawning chasm civilization spawning right into a lava waterfall that flows into the demon pits and a giant underground lake.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 14, 2009, 02:51:42 pm »

It would be cool for the first fort, but then it would just be an annoying mess.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 1065