Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627629 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1365 on: April 01, 2009, 07:16:52 am »

*rubs back of head*

I didn't think there were that many questions posted since the last response.

Thanks Toady.

Ill skip my questions... I can't word it correctly. It was about how Toady thinks he can balance the freedom he gives to the players and the overall dwarven image as well as the amount of content he will need in the game overall. Which seems to come up in the question of Mounts and Poisons.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 01, 2009, 09:59:49 am »

Toady, I know this is a known problem, but if you ever get bored working on the current dev list (heaven forbid!), could you maybe take a look at the FPS display issue in the Mac version (the one where the FPS is always FPS:0, no matter what the settings are)?  Pretty please?
(i'm not familiar with the issue)
but have you tried 40d and all 40d* versions?

Yeah, for me the 40d9 (haven't tried 10 or 11) work great, and show the FPS. The link to them is stickied in this very boutique!
I haven't been able to get the 40d# versions to run on my computer, so I didn't realize the FPS display issue had been fixed in those.  Sorry.  :P
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 01, 2009, 10:16:44 am »

With the following yet-to-be-worked-out squad changes...

# Add yearly squad schedules (on duty, standing down, off duty, training, in rotations)
# Assigning squads to barracks, split up barracks functions
# Weapon rack and armor stand assignments to individual soldiers within the barracks (automatic or manual if you care)

... how will this affect the soldiers' families?  Will the soldier still claim a room while they are marked to sleep in the barracks?
... if the soldiers/guards are set to 'off duty' in the rotation, will they then go visit their families, sleep in their own rooms, make babies, etc?
... are the stands and racks going to count as owned items, and if so, are nobles going to get negative thoughts if some yokel in the armory has a better one than the noble does?
... will assigning more than one barracks (such as on different levels) confuse everyone?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:18:26 am by Dwarfu »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 01, 2009, 12:44:03 pm »

It starts right away.  You can make the rates pretty fast, almost like regeneration.  I remember writing about this, and I did the calculations there, but maybe it was just an email...  in any case, you could get away with healing heavy damage fully after an hour?  Or was it faster.  I think it was pretty fast, and that it wouldn't be very hard to make it faster or instantaneous as needed with a little change.

Can wounds heal while they have something stuck in them?  I don't know if stuck-ins are even associated to wounds that way, so that might not be a meaningful question.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:45:45 pm by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 01, 2009, 12:49:40 pm »

Good question - what happens if a arrow head is stuck in the wound and the wound closes over it?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 01, 2009, 12:54:28 pm »

I suspect the answer is "the wound doesn't close fully as long as something is in it". And I think it was mentioned at some point that stuck-ins are attached to wounds.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 01, 2009, 01:10:38 pm »

Something with sufficiently fast regeneration could actually push stuck-ins out of wounds as they heal. ;D
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 01, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »

Something with sufficiently fast regeneration could actually push stuck-ins out of wounds as they heal. ;D

As projectiles.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 01, 2009, 01:52:12 pm »

As projectiles.

Reminds me of that scene in Time Bandits where the English Longbowmen fire arrows into the Devil. Good idea, bad result.

Quote from: Greiger
"Made me think, will it be possible to make a creature immune to certain diseses?"

(From Toady): "For the poison effects that are currently in, you add in affected classes and then immune classes, and when other diseases go in I don't think it'll be handled differently, unless poisons have become more refined by that time."

One idea to possibly handle diseases and immunities would be to have a set number of possible diseases in a given world, with defined effects, means of spreading, preferred/compatible biome, etc.

You could then assign them a percentage chance (like from 1 in a million to 1 in a hundred), per year, that they'll evolve to effect any given species (whether it's a dwarf, a rat, a dragon, a beetle, a bluejay, whatever).
Once they've made that jump, they might then have a 10x greater chance of affecting another species that's in the same group as them (as in "animal", "humanoid", "fanciful", "vermin", etc.). The cure could either be predefined per disease, or selected randomly at the beginning of every game.

I know it's not 100% biologically accurate, but it seems like it might work, and be reasonably easy to add to the game.
For they would be your masters.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 01, 2009, 05:23:59 pm »

If using the latter evolving diseases concept,
considder host species (or reservoirs):
the host is almost endemically infected with the germ, but is hardly affected because it has innate resistance immunity. (Due to co-evolution of host and parasite/pathogen)
Usually the disease will be happy to remain in its host only through rare chance (increased by high exposure obviously) does it gain the ability to infect an unrelated species.
But when a pathogen does cross to the brave new world of an uncolonised species without any previous exposure, symptoms tend to be extreme. (depending on general virulence and toxicity etc, as the new host does have an immune system... at least the higher order species, low order species tend to rely on innate defences, not adaptive like vertebrates)

I'm dead tired, so my excuses if this post is rambling... 'night.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 01, 2009, 05:46:56 pm »

If using the latter evolving diseases concept,
considder host species (or reservoirs):
the host is almost endemically infected with the germ, but is hardly affected because it has innate resistance immunity. (Due to co-evolution of host and parasite/pathogen)
Usually the disease will be happy to remain in its host only through rare chance (increased by high exposure obviously) does it gain the ability to infect an unrelated species.
But when a pathogen does cross to the brave new world of an uncolonised species without any previous exposure, symptoms tend to be extreme. (depending on general virulence and toxicity etc, as the new host does have an immune system... at least the higher order species, low order species tend to rely on innate defences, not adaptive like vertebrates)

I'm dead tired, so my excuses if this post is rambling... 'night.

I'm not gonna blame you, it's probably just my limited knowledge of biology (microbiology or otherwise), but I'm not quite understanding what you're saying?
I get some of the drifts, but the rest is simply flying over my (also dead tired) poor little head.

Sounds interesting, though!

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 01, 2009, 07:13:12 pm »

Can wounds heal while they have something stuck in them?  I don't know if stuck-ins are even associated to wounds that way, so that might not be a meaningful question.

Quote from: Herman Melville
"Does he fan-tail a little curious, sir, before he goes down?" said the Gay-Header deliberately.

"And he has a curious spout, too," said Daggoo, "very bushy, even for a parmacetty, and mighty quick, Captain Ahab?"

"And he have one, two, tree—oh! good many iron in him hide, too, Captain," cried Queequeg disjointedly, "all twiske-tee be-twisk, like him—him—" faltering hard for a word, and screwing his hand round and round as though uncorking a bottle— "like him—him—"

"Corkscrew!" cried Ahab, "aye, Queequeg, the harpoons lie all twisted and wrenched in him, aye, Daggoo, his spout is a big one, like a whole shock of wheat, and white as a pile of our Nantucket wool after the great annual sheep-shearing; aye, Tashtego, and he fan-tails like a split jib in a squall.  Death and devils! men, it is Moby Dick ye have seen—Moby Dick—Moby Dick!"

I, for one, hope that stuck-ins will stay in large creatures that lack the means to pull them out.  Smaller ones wouldn't be able to move with a spear stuck in them, and humanoid large creatures would probably pull them out, but seeing a dragon or something with half a dozen spears from doomed hunters stuck in him would be pretty awesome.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 01, 2009, 08:26:17 pm »

Harpoons are different from simple spears, though, and this would be one case where that difference would matter.

It's a fine idea, though.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 01, 2009, 08:29:16 pm »

I'm wondering. If we created a race that somehow considered it's skin layer 'cosmetic' and would periodically skin itself, would another race that was subjugated by this one then begin skinning themselves with hilarious effect?

I don't want to know what kind of childhood you need to have had to think up something like this.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 01, 2009, 08:44:25 pm »

Ampersand: That's genius. Really, really genius....
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1065