Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627548 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1275 on: March 22, 2009, 03:00:05 pm »

Btw, is your name refering to paulo mendonca? :D His music is the best.

I'm afraid not. But on that recommendation I may try and find more about this man.

The name references Clive Mendonca, a superior association football player, but, one imagines, an inferior musician.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 22, 2009, 04:08:16 pm »

For that example I remember hearing somewhere(don't remember the source, take it with a gain of salt) that most animals produce their own vitamin C, making it impossible for them to get scurvy.  So they would be immune to it, while humans, dwarves and such would be able to get it. 

Everything except humans, the great apes, fruit bats, and, IIRC, guinea pigs.

I'll look it up later, but I believe that a lot of predators get their Vitamin C from fresh raw meat.
For they would be your masters.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 22, 2009, 04:18:20 pm »

from eating internal organs actually.
liver contains many nutrients and partially digested matter in intestines is also eaten by some predators.

plus many animals can make their own...at least I know rodents can produce their own ascorbic acid, an ability lost by humans, hence it being a vital nutritional compound for us.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 22, 2009, 04:38:34 pm »

Some animals are much more reliant on certain nutriance then we are.

Id love to say Horses... but I have no idea if their reliance on Salt is because of their stature... or if domesticated Horses just have such a different diet that they don't get the salt they would normally have in the wild.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 22, 2009, 10:23:52 pm »

Some animals are much more reliant on certain nutriance then we are.

Id love to say Horses... but I have no idea if their reliance on Salt is because of their stature... or if domesticated Horses just have such a different diet that they don't get the salt they would normally have in the wild.

Probably the latter - a lot of hunters go to "salt licks" to bag deer.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 22, 2009, 11:02:43 pm »

I agree about the internal organs thing. People used to eat them a lot more, in the middle ages, because that's where your vitamins were.

We only started eating steak more often once we were getting enough vitamins from other sources.

Something that might have an effect on DF foodstuffs, actually...

Organ meat is really delicious, by the way. I especially like liver, hearts, and intenstines. Gizzards are ok, too, as are kidneys. Marrow I'm iffy on. I want to like it, but I haven't managed to, yet. 

I personally don't care for tripes, but lots of people love them, and I really haven't had them prepaired particularly well, or learned to cook them, myself.

If you've never had organ meat before, the strong flavor (and the idea of eating it) might take some getting used to, but it's full of flavor, usually has great texture, and is chock full of vitamins.

Also a lot cheaper than steak and other cuts of meat, which is a factor to consider, in the current economy.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 23, 2009, 01:42:33 am »

I think the only organs I ever ate were kidney (strong taste, not bad) and filled duck's stomach. Don't remember much about the last, but I think I liked it. I have less trouble with eating organ meat than I have with eating alive animals, or, for some reason, eating an entire animal in one bite (think shrimps and mussels).
Shame that oysters fit in both categories.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 23, 2009, 01:52:39 am »

I grew up with the stuff, so it was never really out of the ordinary for me.

My grandpa used to buy these deli sausages that were made really old-fashioned, and with real cases, so eating intestines remind me of them.

Ofcourse, now I eat them pickled in a Chinese restaurant, but same difference.

My grandmother loved liver and onions, and kidneys, and my dad loves chicken livers and hearts, so it was never weird or nasty to me.

Beef tongue is really good too, by the way, but I've only had it once or twice.

I love oysters, especially raw, with a couple shots of good straight vodka. If you're going to eat raw oysters, I really recommend the vodka. It kills any bacteria that might be living on the oysters. Aside from that, I think it goes really well with them.

Straight vodka doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, but what it has, seems to match raw oysters perfectly. To me, anyway.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 23, 2009, 02:46:07 am »

We used to eat caked chicken blood back at my grandmother's place. I had no idea what it was until my parents told me. Wasn't bad though... Blood sausage, you guys call it?

In any case, I don't really like eating tripe, liver and kidneys. Not my kind of thing though I've eaten them before. Kinda difficult not to if you grew up where I'm from.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 23, 2009, 02:54:16 am »

I'm not sure...it could be though. Was it in a sausage casing?

I haven't had blood sausage, but I'd like to try it.

We ate a lot of liverwurst. I love that stuff, though I can't eat a whole lot of it at a time.

We ate scrapple, too, but I don't much care for it. Basically just cornbread and porkfat, and a tiny bit of meat, formed into a sort of polenta, then fried.

Something else we ate that was actually good was limburger cheese. Used to have that as a sandwitch, spread on some pumpernickel bread, with sliced red onion on top. Really good stuff. Nowadays you can't hardly even find it, anymore. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 23, 2009, 02:58:08 am »

I don't eat anything disgusting... Other then the fact that I will eat meat a day (or two) after it has been left out on the counter.

That is as close as I get... and I still HIGHLY doubt meat goes bad that fast... I mean... I never got sick from doing that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 23, 2009, 03:19:31 am »

I don't eat anything disgusting... Other then the fact that I will eat meat a day (or two) after it has been left out on the counter.

That is as close as I get... and I still HIGHLY doubt meat goes bad that fast... I mean... I never got sick from doing that.
Where I am, considering the temperature and humidity (or lack thereof), you could leave food out for two days and it still wouldn't go bad. I wouldn't risk it... but when you're hungry and you don't have food...

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 23, 2009, 09:10:33 am »

I love oysters, especially raw, with a couple shots of good straight vodka. If you're going to eat raw oysters, I really recommend the vodka. It kills any bacteria that might be living on the oysters. Aside from that, I think it goes really well with them.

Enought vodka will also help make you forget that you're eating raw oysters ;)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 23, 2009, 09:32:16 am »

We went off-topic again as usual, but I must comment on this sentence: EWWWWW.  ;D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 23, 2009, 11:45:33 am »

A recent heppening in my latest fortress reminded me of something.

Dragons are definatly not immune to heat, their own firebreath seems to become their downfall.  Is this intended or is that going to be handled in the next version?

I had a dragon invasion directly after a particularly devastating goblin seige. (the tantrum spiral was already at phase 1) What was left of my military didn't stand a chance of repelling it at the gate and it made it's way into the fortress. 

My last ditch effort was the Zap Branigin Manuver.  Throw wave after wave of soldiers at it until it dies.  So I recriut my entire population and send them after it.  After getting spammed with struck down messages and the entire fortress being engulfed in smoke and flame. It seems the dragon was defeated.  But after looking closely nobody killed it.  It had simply burned to death in a pile of flaming corpses of it's own creation.  Which seemed kinda anticlimactic really.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 1065