Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631279 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #1005 on: March 16, 2009, 08:32:29 am »

Health Care (last changed Mar 16)
  • New setup for hospital
  • Realigning of compound fractures and traction
  • Sutures for open wounds
  • Use of soap to clean patients
  • Surgery to remove rotten tissue
  • Dressing wounds with bandages
  • Splints
  • Crutches
  • Plaster casts
  • Soldiers able to perform basic first aid
  • Separate out feeding of patients as a job
  • Medical information and chief physician appointment
  • Make dwarves clean themselves up and groom/trim their cosmetic tissue layers

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:09:58 am by Granite26 »

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2009, 09:03:33 am »

I did like how in Rot3K, magic and the supernatural DID exist, it was just very rare or subtle.

Toady, not that you need it, but if you want more on political manueverings, I found that A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones is the first book) were enjoyable and fascinating. It reminded me of Rot3K, but it's fictional and western, so at least for me I was able to dive into it more. It reminded me of the Three Kingdoms because

• Magic is very subtle. You don't have wizards chucking fireballs, but it does exist if you look for it
  • Story is told from different character viewpoints. In fact, every chapter is from a different character's perspective.
  • It follows a core group of characters (antagonists and protaganists) but it remains very neutral. The "good guys" do horrible things, while you find yourself really empathizing with the "bad guys" at times.
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • While you do have your heroes, tactics win the day over individuals. While a good leader might help carry the day, even the best swordsmen in the realms can be horribly overcome by a simple woodland ambush.
  • Brutal tone. While the author isn't explicit to the point of gratuitious, he also doesn't gloss over the darker sides of medieval life. When soldiers rape & pillage, they rape & pillage.
  • Different tones based on different characters. Different charactes have "adventures" throughout an entire fantasy world, and each area has a different tone and perspective.
  • Heroes have critical flaws. Nobody is superman, nobody is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. You'll root for them, and shout at them when they do something you know will bite them.
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Everybody dies. Well...not everybody, but no character is "safe" just because they are a main character. Characters die during their own narratives, or you'll hear about their deaths when the narration switches to another character.

All in all a great series of books. If you can tackle Rot3K's dry covers, then the rich, exciting (albeit lengthy 1,000+) pages of A Song of Ice and Fire should be easily devoured.

Also, they have the coolest "undead" I've read in a long history with fantasy novels.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 16, 2009, 09:21:06 am »

Health Care
New setup for hospital
Realigning of compound fractures and traction
Sutures for open wounds
Use of soap to clean patients
Surgery to remove rotten tissue
Dressing wounds with bandages
Splints
Crutches
Plaster casts
Soldiers able to perform basic first aid
Separate out feeding of patients as a job
Medical information and chief physician appointment
Make dwarves clean themselves up and groom/trim their cosmetic tissue layers

Well huh...wow?  :o
So we gonna have a new building type even: hospital + it looks like that we gonna have one or more new -related- profession(s) also.
This HC list is quite impressive. Hopefully the AI will be able to handle everything perfectly. [I suppose we will end up having some funny bugs, especially in regard to modded in creatures.  :D]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 16, 2009, 09:25:05 am »

Building? Looks more like a Room thought i hope a healer gets a special house in adv mode.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 16, 2009, 09:37:22 am »

Oooh boy!  This is looking really good!

Question for Toady (if I haven't missed the answer already): Does the new healthcare system mean that adventure mode characters can no longer heal just by Traveling off the site?  And as Heph mentioned, will we then be able to seek out healers in Adventure mode settlements for this task?  Will there even be any real changes to Adventure mode this time around?
Fefeshnelmargalip

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 16, 2009, 09:48:34 am »

I think this would be as good a time as any for that. Buy yourself bandages and other medical supplements and treat your own wounds! Adventure mode will become much "darker and edgier" then, since you won't be able to walk away with anything. An arrow in your gut will require extensive treatment, and even if you can stem the bleeding you still have the physical damage to take care of.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01:46 am »

Holy shit I can't wait to build field hospitals for my soldier patrolling away from home!
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 16, 2009, 10:04:55 am »

I think this would be as good a time as any for that. Buy yourself bandages and other medical supplements and treat your own wounds! Adventure mode will become much "darker and edgier" then, since you won't be able to walk away with anything. An arrow in your gut will require extensive treatment, and even if you can stem the bleeding you still have the physical damage to take care of.

Yeah I guess it should work like that. It's quite realistic also. You could "level up" your physician skill slowly but surely. In fact, yet another idea:
Your adventurer should be able to hire physicians/witch doctors/whatever. So after the battles, the NPC doc could take care of the wounds. [Healing efficiency should be based on: type of the injury, skill of the physician, availability of the medical equipments.]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:07:13 am by Tormy »

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 16, 2009, 10:14:13 am »

Ooh!  Ooh!  Don't forget obsidian medical tools!

Seriously, that stuff is sharper than surgical steel.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 16, 2009, 10:25:27 am »

No it's not. Tests have shown that obsidian may have a slightly smaller risk of infection, but otherwise the two instruments just as sharp.

If you have a dull steel blade vs. a sharp obsidian blade then duh, it's a no brainer. But both items can be made equally sharp.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 16, 2009, 10:49:43 am »

I eagerly await the Fortress Mode thread discussing the most efficient way to mass injure dwarves in order to quickly level up the physician.

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 16, 2009, 11:06:49 am »

Nice to see soap will actually have a use soon.
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 16, 2009, 11:28:22 am »

I eagerly await the Fortress Mode thread discussing the most efficient way to mass injure dwarves in order to quickly level up the physician.

I imagine it would be as simple as using small cave-ins over the meeting area/dining room.  :P
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 16, 2009, 11:37:19 am »

No it's not. Tests have shown that obsidian may have a slightly smaller risk of infection, but otherwise the two instruments just as sharp.

If you have a dull steel blade vs. a sharp obsidian blade then duh, it's a no brainer. But both items can be made equally sharp.
Aww, I was sure it was sharper :-[
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 16, 2009, 11:44:35 am »

I've heard an anecdote about a bowhunter who made his own obsidian arrowheads and knives, found a doctor who was willing to operate on him (for something serious but not time-critical) using his own obsidian knives.  Doctor said the incisions healed -too- fast, and started to close more than ideal during the procedure.

Quite possibly a made-up anecdote, but it also strikes me as possible that surgical steel is not commonly maximally sharp when used.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 1065