Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638541 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #690 on: February 19, 2009, 10:48:32 am »

I vote for immigrants with higher initial skills, personally.

It doesn't matter imo, since it's quite easy to "level up" the dwarves in a given profession.  :)

I wonder when this will be released... hopefully before summer so I can waste it all on Dwarf Fortress, it would be the best summer ever!

Well, I am just guessing, but I think that it should be released in ~may. Let's hope so at least. Toady could give us a more precise answer, but maybe even he doesn't know it yet, since lot of dev items are on the "to do" list still.  :)

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 19, 2009, 12:46:06 pm »

Will there be timestamps or some type of grouping on the combat messages to separate the combat messages into different combats for the unit in question?  Or are they just going to be lumped together like the current announcements are?

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 19, 2009, 08:02:58 pm »

In relation to the new pause-on-event settings, perhaps a feature could be added that causes Dwarf Fortress to "ding", or otherwise provide an aural indicator, when the DF window doesn't have focus and there's an event-pause. That would really help us players who run DF in the background while doing other stuff. If it could be individually set for different events and event groups, as well as a global setting, that would be awsome. Then I could work on a huge, slow, fortress without the worry that I'll forget to check it and find it's been paused for hours for some trivial reason. ("You have struck orthoclase!", for the thousanth time.)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 19, 2009, 08:13:21 pm »

It doesn't matter imo, since it's quite easy to "level up" the dwarves in a given profession.  :)
It might not matter from a gameplay perspective, but it might make people CARE. Maybe not cold-hearted people like you, Tormy, but I would care about them more.
End the immigrants' torment!
Silence the sounds of "Drafted. Drafted. Official Death-trap Tester. Drafted."

A possibly fun mechanic would be dwarves with an aptitude get faster XP gains, but legendaries can still arise from a life of hard work.
100*(1.2^(X+5)) xp for level X with aptitude.
100*(1.3^(X+5)) xp for level X with average dwarf.
100*(1.4^(X+5)) xp for level X with inaptitude.

EDIT: I didn't have time to do the numbers before, so they might come out either wimpy or INSANE.

EDIT2: Apt Leg came 9950 xp after GM, but the other two were much too high, so I lowered them. Now normal Leg is at 70564 xp for normal and inapt is at 449987 xp. Normal was the current inapt equation, and inapt came out to 12,676,506 xp AFTER GM.
For reference, the first few levels of xp are for normal:
Novice 371, Normal 482, Compt. 627, Skilled 815, Proficient 1060, Tal. 1378, Adept 17921. They start out slow but start climbing fast.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:52:27 pm by Techhead »
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 20, 2009, 09:59:43 am »

They start out slow but start climbing fast.
logical; as more experienced workers perform tasks faster, experience is also collected faster.

secondly understanding the basics of a job is a completely different thing to having mastered it.
so I'd expect the higher skilllevels to be even higher than a simple ramp-up to compensate for the faster workspeed. 

I'm in favour of <100% successrates, then again I also considder creating a "mug" ISO a "+mug+" a failure.
And IIRC the quality rates of produce is semirandom, calculated in percentages, the average of the gausian being dependent on the skill-level.
failure might be a class of quality below normal, but not less value just some rubbish.
I fail to see the point though, as "rubbish" can be any normal object with little value designated for dumping. Unless not creating useless objects but a single rubbish-class saves on memory or smoothes out gameplay.

__
Another request:
while you are still working on squad combat amongst things: is it possible for any_allowed_weapontype to be selected in military/soldiering screen for equiping.
(I read a goblinfortress mod thread [bumped] that had a problem setting equipable weapons...not mod-savvy enough to know whether this is common in all racial mods but it sounds like a hardcoded limit in the interface rather than fundamental to the code)

__
@ [guy] who wondered about Toady1 reading [the Survivor] and being inspired by it:
Entirely likely!
If maybe not that specific book: I've just started reading "Goblin Quest" by Jim C Hines and feel like modding a Goblin Tower. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:14:04 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 20, 2009, 02:19:23 pm »

Hey wounds is almost done. Good work Toady and thanks for the new announcment system.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 20, 2009, 10:22:54 pm »

In relation to the new pause-on-event settings, perhaps a feature could be added that causes Dwarf Fortress to "ding", or otherwise provide an aural indicator, when the DF window doesn't have focus and there's an event-pause. That would really help us players who run DF in the background while doing other stuff. If it could be individually set for different events and event groups, as well as a global setting, that would be awsome. Then I could work on a huge, slow, fortress without the worry that I'll forget to check it and find it's been paused for hours for some trivial reason. ("You have struck orthoclase!", for the thousanth time.)
Especially if we could set custom sounds for each event.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 22, 2009, 02:26:49 am »

When Healthcare comes up, here's an interesting potential bug;

Make dwarves clean themselves up and groom/trim their cosmetic tissue layers before they sleep

If the [COSMETIC] and [VASCULAR] tags aren't mutually exclusive, and trimming involves cutting portions off...

Barring that, where will dwarves go to trim/groom their beards? A new Sink furniture item? Use of a mirror craft?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 22, 2009, 05:21:07 am »

Barring that, where will dwarves go to trim/groom their beards? A new Sink furniture item? Use of a mirror craft?

Now that sounds interesting, making Dwarfs look more like major company CEOs and less like the homeless populations. Soon, they'll be asking for double-breasted cave spider silk suits and voting for women... never underestimate the political power of a clean-shaven dwarf.

No offence meant towards the homeless, of course.

Such an idea would force people to start re-thinking their bedrooms, however, unless someone popularises the idea of communal sinks.

EDIT: Eeek, I almost forgot, well done on things so far, ToadyOne!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 22, 2009, 05:31:51 am »

Their bedrooms, and they'll use a new "shears" metalcraft for hair-cutting.  Artifact and adamantine shears will of course increase the amount of death by razor burn.

And of course you'll have little piles of hair laying around your fortress.  Hmm.  If it all gets gathered into one square, you may be able to make a wall of hair.

That thought leads me to "Well, what would that wall of hair be just before it's a wall?" and my immediate thought: A path cost designator.  Like, if a single tile has X amount of stuff, it's impassible.  Remove some of it and the game marks it as passable, but pathcost 25, or whatever you've got Restricted terrain set as.

That would lead to a neat stone disposal strategy:  Instead of building a wall at one stone per tile, set up a garbage zone and dump the stone.  As stones filled each tile to capacity, the dwarves would start filling the next, so you'd have a wall made up entirely of piled stone instead of worked.  Maybe mortar the chinks with small beak dog leather loincloths.

Anything with the [BUILDING_DESTROYER] tag could smash the crap out of it, possibly blowing around the constituent items...
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 22, 2009, 07:47:53 am »

Also, enemies could simply pick things up and carry them away.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 22, 2009, 08:05:40 am »

Seriously i just want to sack up soil up at point A and drop it at point B so it greats a soilwall or atleast a floor. This would make nice Gravemounds, gardens, Plaisades and a good defence against siegeengines.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 22, 2009, 09:43:55 am »

Amazing work Toady :)

Love to see a "return" of combat reports (as the excellent DF companion combat reports doesnt seem to work with newer versions). I hope the different modes will be on/off switchable

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 22, 2009, 09:54:45 am »

I can't wait to judge my dwarves on their beard sizes.
"Who's John Galt?"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 22, 2009, 10:18:07 am »

The brains were pretending to be on the outside?  Well I suppose they were thinking outside the box?

They want to go out and see the world?

Maybe the brain was just an alien brain creature slowly eating the dwarf from the head?

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 1065