Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638814 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #630 on: February 15, 2009, 12:14:46 pm »

If it's not too much trouble, can we get reactions for the kiln as well? So people can have pottery and such if they wanted?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 15, 2009, 12:24:39 pm »

We'd need a way to collect clay first though. We really need an automatic collecting behavior for collection zones. Or designated orders. So you designate a patch of sand, and dwarves go and collect sand without orders from the glass smelter. You point them to a patch of clay, or any other soil, and they go and collect it. Could be used to remove boulders, too.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 15, 2009, 12:38:20 pm »

If it's not too much trouble, can we get reactions for the kiln as well? So people can have pottery and such if they wanted?

Apparently it is too much trouble, at least for the time being.

Quote from: Random832
Actually, he listed three jobs. That take place in three different workshops.

This implies (at least, without too much wishful thinking) that the reaction raws have been generalized to accept any workshop.

Nope -- the three workshops are some of those with the easiest jobs/interfaces currently.  Updating something like the crafts or forge shop would take more effort, and for those item crafting shops, there are also additional issues, such as their future form after some of the req/bloats come in.  It's a much larger project, and something I don't have time for for this release.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 15, 2009, 01:20:13 pm »

The usage of Boulders as Buildingmaterial was somewhere in the Powergoals iirc. And yes i miss Potery too. Having Amphoras instead of Barrels would be neat. Bricks from clay, shale or soft slate would be interresting. In warmer regions even the Sundried (= made without fuel) kind made by a Overground kiln.

Timber framing ("Fachwerk") was one of the most used Construction methods in Europe from the ancient times till the 19thcentury. It was also less Wood-consuming then the current (unbelieveable) timbercabins we have right now. The frame-filling was mostly made from Straw/twigs mixed/coated with Loam, clay, shale,dung etc (wikipedia says its called "Wattle and daub").

Even older and still more beliveable then Timbercabins is cob. This kind would even "Elve aproved".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:21:52 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #634 on: February 15, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »

Hell, it should be ok for "normal" dwarves even. Using captured goblin, human etc. prisoners as slaves looks valid & acceptable to me, it has nothing to do with "alignments" or culture at all...but again this is my subjective opinion.  :)

...Acceptance of slavery has nothing to do with culture?
*Blinks in confusion.*  What is it determined by, then?  Or am I misunderstanding your point?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 15, 2009, 02:40:06 pm »

Hell, it should be ok for "normal" dwarves even. Using captured goblin, human etc. prisoners as slaves looks valid & acceptable to me, it has nothing to do with "alignments" or culture at all...but again this is my subjective opinion.  :)

...Acceptance of slavery has nothing to do with culture?
*Blinks in confusion.*  What is it determined by, then?  Or am I misunderstanding your point?

Well you have a valid point there, but don't forget:
"Evidence of slavery predates written records, and has existed to varying extents, forms and periods in almost all cultures and continents.
So, I think that it's related to the conceptualization and morale of a given community/tribe/civilization or country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 15, 2009, 02:46:24 pm »

Well it is because originally Slavery existed in a very innocent form. It was a form of protection.
-It should be noted that this form of protection didn't go away for a very long time... The reason Royalty generally married Royalty of another kingdom was to foster peace between them.

Early Slavery is hardly what we would consider slavery today. The "Slave" by all means was just another member of the society. It would be like abducting you and forcing you to live in Britain...

Id go on but the further I go the more likely it will be that I make mistakes. There is a clear line to see how Slavery developed. Basically a perversion of what was previously survival.

That is why I can see some Dwarves having Slavery in a way... Though Dwarves barely make sense as a Neolithic race anyhow... I personally think Dwarves were created at LEAST in the Bronze Age and weren't there forever.
-Though I was originally opposed to the idea... I've grown to support the "Ancient Civilisation" suggestion where Dwarf Fortress would run a bit of Pre-history... I regret not giving my support while it was popular. Toady even said a few words on it, but he didn't seem to exactly know what to do as he suggested that he should add races just to die off. Maybe I should make another suggestion concerning this...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:54:24 pm by Neonivek »

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 15, 2009, 05:43:11 pm »

Is there going to be different levels of pain sensitivity for different body parts and layers?

It seems like pinching somebody's exposed guts should be more painful than pinching their finger, but It don't know if it actually works/will work that way.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 15, 2009, 05:53:10 pm »

Is there going to be different levels of pain sensitivity for different body parts and layers?

It seems like pinching somebody's exposed guts should be more painful than pinching their finger, but It don't know if it actually works/will work that way.

Actually... I don't know... The Finger has more nerves and the stomach may in fact not have any nerves that could sense your pinching (unless you meant... the stomach... in which the finger is more painful). Though your Finger is more exposed to tension on a daily basis so that could be a good reason why it would feel less pain.

Your back has the least Nerves per surface area to my knowledge... and as such it feels the least pain and gets tingly because it cannot locate where things are on your back accurately. This is why you see people often blocking things with their back despite it being quite dangerous.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 15, 2009, 06:22:21 pm »

Tissues have a PAIN_RECEPTORS:# tag, so yes, at least for layers.  I don't think we've seen any way for body parts to selectively override tissue properties or anything like that, though.

edit: actually the [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:HAIR] type stuff might be capable of that
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:50:15 pm by Footkerchief »

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 15, 2009, 06:39:50 pm »

Interesting, sounds like we might one day have a geologist dwarf that out of fortress mode can tell use what we might find on embarkation and in fortress mode presumably can give you information on mineral deposits (Innate dwarf-sense).
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 15, 2009, 09:27:23 pm »

I'd like to suggest that, in addition to pain receptors (and the ability to scale them, numerically, would be great), it would also be nice to have nausea "receptors", since getting hit in the stomach/head/throat-especially severely-can cause a lot more nausea than getting a cut on your finger or something, or even a deep stabwound through your hand or foot.
For they would be your masters.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #642 on: February 15, 2009, 11:06:24 pm »

We all sound like monsters.  I was just thinking about how Three Toe was inspired to write a story of a dwarf fortress, as run by the typical forum-goer.  I wonder if he had any idea how much deeper we could go.

I have no doubt you guys could go there and back again.   :)
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 15, 2009, 11:34:36 pm »

I have no doubt you guys could go there and back again

Wow, Rare Threetoe sighting. (though your on often)

The sad part about that Elf Story is that there was so much context to everything. So much that I don't think will ever be in the game :P

Then again, it is mostly because we do it by a gods eye view and NO GAME (Closest would be KINDA Citizen Kubuto) has ever been able to bridge the god view with the peasant view. So it isn't a Dwarf Fortress problem.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 16, 2009, 12:43:41 am »

Speaking of different viewpoints, is anyone here familiar at all with Dungeons of Daggorath?

I only found a single reference to it on the entire Boards when I did a search, so I'm thinking probably not?
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 1065