Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638739 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #600 on: February 14, 2009, 02:13:08 pm »

Question  to Toady:

Quote from: toady one
Quote from: Azkanan
Somebody define what he means by "Fireball" please?

I mean the imp and demon ones, yeah.  They hit the inventory/body parts and increase their temperature now...  but it's all vaguely unsatisfying.  Fire is sort of an outlier in the new material system.

You said that fireballs, if i did understand it right, transmit now heat  throught tissue layers.

Does that also apply to weapons/projectiles which are made from a material that has a very high/low fixed temperature? This could interresting effects if a fire-imp-bone-bolt gets stuck in a creature.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 14, 2009, 02:18:25 pm »

Question  to Toady:

Quote from: toady one
Quote from: Azkanan
Somebody define what he means by "Fireball" please?

I mean the imp and demon ones, yeah.  They hit the inventory/body parts and increase their temperature now...  but it's all vaguely unsatisfying.  Fire is sort of an outlier in the new material system.

You said that fireballs, if i did understand it right, transmit now heat  throught tissue layers.

Does that also apply to weapons/projectiles which are made from a material that has a very high/low fixed temperature? This could interresting effects if a fire-imp-bone-bolt gets stuck in a creature.

That is a good question. This has been brought up in my creature lab topic also. Hopefully weapons/projectiles will transfer the temperature effects. Just think about a Balrog and it's fire sword + fire whip. It would be endless fun, if those given weapons would burn the various objects/creatures, in fact those should catch on fire after a point. [Ignition point dependant]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:23:27 pm by Tormy »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 14, 2009, 02:19:09 pm »

That was exactly why i have asked  ;D

Also a "Star Wars" mod making all "element man" Droids and using "lightsabers" as wells as "vibro-blades" as weapons.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:21:36 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 14, 2009, 02:50:42 pm »

That was exactly why i have asked  ;D

Also a "Star Wars" mod making all "element man" Droids and using "lightsabers" as wells as "vibro-blades" as weapons.

Make a sword-metal material - perhaps a sharp Stone, like obsidian - with a fixed temp of over 9000? Not sure if that could work, as it would apply to the dwarf carrying it as well, and then likely burn his hand off...

Bolts, we'd have to see.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 14, 2009, 02:55:02 pm »

For lightsabers, I think you'd want a material with a very high SHEAR properties, so it cuts of limbs.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 14, 2009, 03:06:48 pm »

For lightsabers, I think you'd want a material with a very high SHEAR properties, so it cuts of limbs.

Har har.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 14, 2009, 03:56:32 pm »

I'm not sure if I would ever want my dwarves to have slaves.

I agree. Dwarves take pride in their work, and ENJOY toiling, so it doesn't make much sense to me for them to belittle any of their work enough to assign it to slaves, which are essentially unpersons.

After looking at entity_default.txt, it seems that dwarves currently punish slave-holding with death anyway. Humans are totally okay with it, of course.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 14, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »

If it gets worked into the game at any point, I foresee a hilarious bug. Any human enslaving a dwarf will be perfectly OK until the player sees him. At which point the enslaved dwarf will proceed to brutally murder the slave-holding human.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 14, 2009, 05:19:09 pm »

Make a sword-metal material - perhaps a sharp Stone, like obsidian - with a fixed temp of over 9000? Not sure if that could work, as it would apply to the dwarf carrying it as well, and then likely burn his hand off...

Maybe a glove can be created with good insulates properties, that works as a layer through which heat travels badly/not at all.
Could also create interesting monsters, with an internal layer of that stuff. You could burn their outsides off, but then there is a somewhat smaller, blackened, ANGRY monster that still lives.
That brings up the question of whether or not layers burn off.
(If so, I predict modders making a material that smokes when burned, with the smoke being able to burn, releasing smoke et cetera)
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 14, 2009, 05:49:47 pm »

(If so, I predict modders making a material that smokes when burned, with the smoke being able to burn, releasing smoke et cetera)

I've actually been wondering if gas/mist/powder clouds can ignite.  It doesn't seem like it would be more difficult than the regular fire-spreading stuff, except much faster.  Would allow for some extremely cool effects too, like REAL booze bombs, and proper moddable dragon breath.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 14, 2009, 05:57:06 pm »

Flour is pretty explosiv ^^ too. And i think this clouds can ignite if they made of an material with an ignitepoint.

Thought an separate flame point would be nice cause that would be more realistic.

As long our fort dorfs cant make fire i anyway think "bombs" and other firetraps are a bit hard to build without modding or magma.

Proud to be a Furry.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 14, 2009, 06:18:08 pm »

Maybe you could make some sort of bomb by having a material boil, with the gas actually being a kind of vapour made of a lot (you'd have to say boiling makes a lot) of small heated liquid/solid particles. With a bit of tweaking of their properties, you could achieve at least creatures being blown away by standing too close, and perhaps some effect of a shockwave. Some scratches from the particles (which hopefully(or not) have cooled by then, but 'really' being sand/dirt whipped up, if you see what I mean)
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 14, 2009, 06:25:07 pm »

I'd like to second the "no slaves for dwarfs" idea. I agree that, considering their interests and their culture, it just doesn't seem like something they'd do.

Not purely out of the goodness of their black little hearts, just that it would be false to what they represent.
For they would be your masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 14, 2009, 06:37:22 pm »

Uh, dwarves already have [ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL].

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 14, 2009, 06:40:08 pm »

Ofcourse, but it doesn't hurt to discuss their motives. 

That, and it's a question of whether that's a defining characteristic of all dwarfs everywhere, or whether some dwarf cultures do, infact, keep slaves.

I'm not, afterall, personally bound by law to follow precisely the "official" version of dwarfs, and I've got atleast one dwarf who's probably a former slave, showing up in my fiction writing. So it's something that I wouldn't mind examining in a *bit* more depth than just "it says so in the Raws".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:44:39 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 1065