Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638562 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #540 on: February 13, 2009, 08:13:35 am »

Yes Mondark you missed it. Its on page 17 ;)

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Heph
Lets asume we have an creature "A" with an Materialbreath and an dragon "B" with firebreath fighting with "A".

What hapens now if this two breath attacks meet each other? Especally if the "Material-breath" was from an material with an low ignitepoint. Or an Water-breath meeting an fire-breath?
Nothing happens right now -- flow on flow interaction is a CPU issue and not likely to be addressed soon, though there is some hope there since it currently combines flows of like type and could therefore afford some comparisons on flows of differing types, but those would need to be very streamlined.

edit: By the way i have counted the spheres that are listed on the wiki. They are exactly 130. This isnt nearly as much as i hope ... joke aside 130 is an pretty high number and i think its fantastic that this number will grow in the future.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:33:22 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Carusun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 13, 2009, 09:37:48 am »

First time posting, only recently got into the game.

Were I a rich man, I'd give an obscene amount of money to Toady (hell, if I were employed, I'd donate a chunk of my first pay slip); this is far superior to anything that I've seen professional game companies attempt, or even come close to attempting in both scale and complexity. I eagerly await the day that this game attains mass public appeal and Toady earns the huge riches he deserves.

At the moment my girlfriend is put off by the complexity of the interface, so I also look forward to a girlfriend-friendly release :P

Just thought I'd put up a post to thank Toady for this wonderful (and becoming more wonderful all the time) game.

DarkCloud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 13, 2009, 10:37:02 am »

That wasn't so much an official release estimate as a nullification of any previous optimistic statements, although I think I had the February-March timeline in my head way back then.  There aren't that many things I can push off now, so I will continue to strike a note of vague non-optimism for a release any time soon.
Well, good luck!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 13, 2009, 10:55:37 am »

First I would like to thank Toady once again for his quick and truthful response. It still surprises me. (I am too used to everything being secret)

TOADY: “so you can pretend for now that it's a whatever, if the attack involves a material.”

Dragon breathes a glob of arrows!

TOADY: “You mean not close to good in the moral/whatever sense but in the close to good in terms of having unicorns and fairies and fluffy wamblers occur as they do now?”

Yes, glad you picked up on that. I am a bit surprised that most, if not all, evil creatures are going to actually leave the Spheres in all forms. Makes me curious as to how your going to handle whole lands of zombies if you will do it at all. Zombie Flows?

TOADY: “since there are like 100 spheres (and will be many more no doubt)”

WHAT!?! More? Wow,  I am surprised your actually going to tackle not only more but many more at a future date. Especially since your planning on doing each Sphere justice which I assume means that you have a good chance to guess exactly what sphere a land is just by being in it. I’d probably make a suggestion, if Spheres weren’t so obvious and easy to think up (Gems, Lethargy, Emptyness, Excellence, Travel, Majesty, Transformation/shape shifting, Horror, Pain, Disease, Famine, Purity, Flesh, Obesity, or Sight) Come to think of it… maybe I will.
-Note: I make no claim that what I wrote isn’t already a sphere

Some of the Spheres are REALLY vague in terms of what it could do. How does a land of the Moon or Justice work? (Hypothetical question).

Will lands be capable of being more then one sphere at a time?

TOADY: “I think it won't devolve into a sea of garbage slush”

You mean like how some of those Megabeasts are getting names like “Glorious Justice of Light” for slaughtering hundreds right?

TOADY: “That wasn't so much an official release estimate as a nullification of any previous optimistic statements”

Your turning into Will Wright! (Or is it Peter Molyneux?) He basically stopped giving estimates at one point because he realised he was consistently incorrect.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 13, 2009, 11:13:09 am »

TOADY: “That wasn't so much an official release estimate as a nullification of any previous optimistic statements”

Your turning into Will Wright! (Or is it Peter Molyneux?) He basically stopped giving estimates at one point because he realised he was consistently incorrect.
I prefer to think of him as Blizzard.  Blizzard doesn't take a long time due to taking a long time, they take a long time because they're making damn sure they're getting it right.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to write about raiding Bay 12 if I can't wait any longer 8)

*wonders how many people will get the reference*
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 13, 2009, 11:15:14 am »

Will lands be capable of being more then one sphere at a time?

Currently deities and creatures can be associated with multiple spheres, so I imagine an individual regional force could as well.  In addition, I kind of expect that the sphere lands won't have fixed boundaries but will instead look more like the territories in the Legends historical maps, with overlaps (meaning even more spheres in a given land) and so on.  But that's just a guess from some of the stories and dev items that imply waxing and waning of regional forces etc.

At any rate, it would be a waste of all those weird mutating sphere effects if they couldn't be compounded on each other in horrifying ways.

edit: confirmation on multiple spheres per area

# Core94, RANDOMIZED REGIONS AND THEIR FLORA/FAUNA, (Future): The current good/evil regions should be scrapped and replaced by a system that aligns a region to varying degrees with a set of spheres. In this way you could end up with a desert where the stones sing or a forest where the trees bleed, with all sorts of randomly generated creatures and plants that are appropriate to the sphere settings. It's important that randomly generated objects be introduced to the player carefully during play rather than just being thrown one after another to allow for immersion, though there's also something to be said for cold dumping the player in a world with completely random settings, provided they can access enough information by looking/listening and having conversations, etc. Requires Core92.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:20:31 am by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 13, 2009, 11:23:13 am »

Agreed: Who doesn't want want to see a Trickery, River, and Moon Sphere creature?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 13, 2009, 11:29:28 am »

So...were-carp Hobbitses?

...which would be AWESOME!
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:40 am »

Quote from: neonivek

The other way around it would be better. Will Wrights games were good and inovativ yes but all in all a bit shallow. These Games didnt use the potential they had.

On Spheres:

An Moon-sphere land could be an harbor for Lycantrophs, wolves, "silver" glowing plants/animals and chesse. Also its friend with night and sky so the stuff from this spheres could also be in an Moon-land.

Justice Sphere is a bit more tricky but could have some interresting effects like animals not attacking you as long you dont attack them.
Gryphons are (in mythology and popculture) associated with justice so they could appear in such places.
The sneak and the liar skill could be useless. Killing an knocked out/over creature or usage of poison could be impossible.
Justice could even work with the laws and views of an civilation by prohibiting f.e the usage of undwarven weapons by a dwarf or teleporting stolen stuff to the owner etc.

I think with an bit imagination and RNG we can find enought stuff for all the existing spheres. It would be nice to see one of ThreeToes storys on this subject.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:41:31 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 13, 2009, 11:40:27 am »

...(either as an adv or as an oregon trail style thing)...

Urist Boatmurdered has died of typhoid.
Cog Snowpants is throwing a tantrum!
Cog Snowpants has capsized a wagon!
Your expedition has crumbled to its end.

Agreed: Who doesn't want want to see a Trickery, River, and Moon Sphere creature?
  Is that a reference to something, or just a "Man, that'd look weird!" thing?

Hmm.  I wonder what effects some of the spheres will have on their respective lands.  Things like disease and stuff are probably fairly obvious, but would a childbirth-sphere land result in more multiple litters?  That would be interesting.  Would the spheres just affect what grows or happens in them, or could a sphere affect land growth?  For instance, I picture a fortress-sphere land as having a lot of natural box canyons and sheer cliffs, or at least being made of harder stone.  A gem-sphere land would make sense to have fewer pockets of things like microcline and more jewel deposits, and so forth.

Alternately, certain spheres would be drawn to wards certain terrain types.  That would be a definite chicken-or-egg thing. "Is this a gem-sphere land because there's so many gem deposits, or are there so many gem deposits because it's a gem-sphere land?"

Also, are there any plans for sphere lands to change during gameplay?  I can see a nice scenario where, say, a blood-sphere land is encroaching on a human settlement and tainting their brook, so the adventurer is tasked to carry a ◄☼bucket☼► full of water (or a ☼bucket☼ full of ◄water►) into the heart of the blood-sphere and empty it into the Well of Sanguinary Crimson Bleeding.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 13, 2009, 11:51:35 am »

hehehehe wizzards using and manipulating spheres for theyr advantage. A bit deformity and creation here, a bit war, disciplin and murder there and mutating goblins to berserker monsters gets so much easyer.

Also the temples of certain Gods/Demons/powers could be spherical places. Temples of a healing Goddes would be very popular.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:55:54 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 13, 2009, 11:53:07 am »

"An Moon-sphere land could be an harbor for Lycantrophs, wolves, "silver" glowing plants/animals and chesse. Also its friend with night and sky so the stuff from this spheres could also be in an Moon-land."

I think that the Moon-Sphere should play more on the qualities of the moon: Specifically that the moon shifts and transforms, disapears, and shines brightly. So creature should be based on having a cycle of activity, bodyshape, mental state, personality, and/or strength. Creatures in Moon-Sphere lands should be capable of being defenseless one day, and nearly unstoppable the next... Civilisations created by the Sphere of the moon could be peaceful one year or mindless beasts the next.

It could create species with Castes with largely differing strengths.

This allows the moon to do other attributes associated with the moon such as: Beauty and insanity

Wolves, Rabits, Cheese, Silver, beasts, Rice, Faces are interesting... but I wonder... I wonder if they should be attributed to the moon, if the moon sphere should chose creatures it is attributed with, or others.

Ohh well.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:04:09 pm by Neonivek »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 13, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »

The effects on your crops an breedingstocks could be very interresting (regarding genes) if they are exposed over more then one generation to the sphere.

Horses f.e. could get in a firesphere-land at the first generations more hotblooded with firepatterns and after 10 or 20 Gens they could have an fire-mane, red glowing eyes or darn hot hoofs. The Spheres would just add "genes" to the breeding line.

^^ I think thats something for much later right?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:16:53 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 13, 2009, 12:13:43 pm »

It could even happen to your own Dwarves... Gradually alienating them from their own kind.

Spheres should have a method of working together though (As well as an ability to almost fight over creatures in a manner of speaking)

So a Animal / Moon Sphere could use animal transformations or target animals... or make Trees that turn into Animals at night.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:16:06 pm by Neonivek »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 13, 2009, 12:19:45 pm »

And wizzards could be better in the "spheres" (if "spells" get linked to spheres) of theyr homeland.

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 1065