Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638540 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2009, 08:39:56 pm »

Do we NEED an accurate representation of a globe?

I don't think so..  middle-earth got away with it by being the only 'interesting' part of the world worth mentioning.

That's how I see the DF world too. Everything else is not important to the narrative at hand.

Agreed. "Flat map" style is the way to go [we have this right now in DF], at least that is my opinion.  :)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 11, 2009, 09:20:03 pm »

ah yeah, I meant cylindrical.
Toroidal is annoying. :/

I think it is adequate to represent a flat worldmap.
spherical representations or too accurate projections of one are confusing anyhow.
A globe is fun and cool, but hardly relevant in an ASCII game.

You can generate not-square regions, in fact I do so all the time. 

@pMantis: I resent the idea of there being parts of the world I'll never be able to go to. There is enough of that in the peaks and 'oceans' already.

I currently imagine regions as small islands of ordered ASCII in the endless ocean of binary noise that is my harddrive. In spirit small microcosms.
Were it not for the facts of natural weather, seasons, geology and astral bodies in orbit, the 'shard worlds theory' would be satifying. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:30:51 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 11, 2009, 09:58:08 pm »

@pMantis: I resent the idea of there being parts of the world I'll never be able to go to. There is enough of that in the peaks and 'oceans' already.

I was just saying that, in game terms, I believe the DF 'universe' exists on some continent or region..  sure, other parts of the world do 'exist', but they are either so remote that traveling there is simply unthinkable, or (more believably) that the world you see is all that is known of by the dwarves..   everything else might as well be nonexistent because nothing interesting (from the dwarves perspective) is going on outside their reality.

Doesn't seem too unreasonable to me..  ancient humans felt the same way. (and we still do!)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 11, 2009, 11:13:18 pm »

By the way, what's the official explanation for why we can't go build on peaks? I've always wanted to.
For they would be your masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 11, 2009, 11:22:17 pm »

I think mountains themselves are just considered too inhospitable; keep in mind the game doesn't distinguish between a livable plateau and a harsh, spindly mountain.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 11, 2009, 11:55:13 pm »

I'm reminded of this set of geometry posters we had in my 6th grade classroom, depicting the Earth as all manner of regular and irregular shapes.  A cone, toroid, cylinder, oblate spheroid (Not all that much difference overall, but it would probably have made a huge difference somewhere)... My favorite was kind of a saddle-shape, I forget if it had a scientific name attached.

It would be kind of interesting if a world could randomly be generated being carried on the back of a random animal or series of animals (It's carp, carp, carp, all the way down).  Or heck, if random megabeast generation is in, use that code.  Wind up with something like the Kujata of the Muslims, a bull endowed with four thousand each of eyes, ears, nostrils, mouths, and feet. In their cosmology, he usually stands on the back of the great fish Bahamut.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 12, 2009, 12:30:18 am »

*Collects courage enough to dare talk directly to his warty amphibian god*

hmm, will injection/breath attacks be dependant on some internal organ or just be spawned in the mouth/poison attack body part? the ultimate solution would probably be something like glands+bladders for each substance that is drained whit the attack, (and could later be expanded to other functionality like stomachs and such), maybe even stuff like size change depending on fullness and the bladder rupting from being overfilled/a blunt strike while full/a slash/pierce attack and releasing it's contents into the bloodstream of the creature or even the ground...  *trails of*

I had another idea about something else to, but I have forgotten that one, the above idea would solve the problem whit undead breath/poison attacks in a niftily emergent way. It could still work like the magic simply by leaving out the proper gland/bladder from the raws, kinda like magical flying I think works in the raws...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 12, 2009, 12:33:07 am »

Venom is D. O. N. E. Done!! Yay!  ;D
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 12, 2009, 03:32:10 am »

I bemoan the lack of liver, spleen, and kidney function.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 12, 2009, 03:47:18 am »

*Collects courage enough to dare talk directly to his warty amphibian god*

hmm, will injection/breath attacks be dependant on some internal organ or just be spawned in the mouth/poison attack body part? the ultimate solution would probably be something like glands+bladders for each substance that is drained whit the attack, (and could later be expanded to other functionality like stomachs and such), maybe even stuff like size change depending on fullness and the bladder rupting from being overfilled/a blunt strike while full/a slash/pierce attack and releasing it's contents into the bloodstream of the creature or even the ground...  *trails of*

I had another idea about something else to, but I have forgotten that one, the above idea would solve the problem whit undead breath/poison attacks in a niftily emergent way. It could still work like the magic simply by leaving out the proper gland/bladder from the raws, kinda like magical flying I think works in the raws...

Linking a venom organ to a venom function sounds doable, if only on the most basic level of "If organ damaged/removed, attack disabled".
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 12, 2009, 04:47:05 am »

My favorite was kind of a saddle-shape, I forget if it had a scientific name attached.

Hyperbolic paraboloid. It's a mathematical name, not a scientific one. Math is about definition, not discovery.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 12, 2009, 06:36:21 am »

Well, the big idea was going to be to imagine what our world would look like if sometime after 1492 AD, it was discovered that the "Earth" just kept going and going and going...

hey but it does, the terrain just changes from rocks and water to hard vaccum of space.

I just blew my mind.
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 12, 2009, 07:30:48 am »

I find it amusing that "melting snow" is under wounds/combat. ;D 
I get it though, combat spatters and all that being related to snow.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 12, 2009, 08:25:24 am »

I love the latest dev_now. How many games have that realistic damage?

All it needs now is more realistic attacks like stings (with pierce damage) for attack with swords (or sabers which my elves got)  as addition to the normal damage types. Sometimes i just want to bash out some teeth with the shaft of my Spear/Pike(/moded polearms) or make an cut/slash with its blade.

edit: maybe over the "damage type"/the way i use my weapon could be changed over Enter like like between armed fight and Wrestling.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:33:31 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 12, 2009, 09:09:54 am »

^ Yeah, probably DF's damage system will be the most realistic. No other games had such an excellent and realistic system, AFAIK at least. ->

02/11/2009: Today was compound fractures as well as fractured layers being knocked inward to damage soft inner portions. So a bone in the arm for example could break through the skin if the arm is struck by even a blunt weapon, and impacts can also force jagged skull edges into the brain or a broken rib into the heart or a lung (generally, the broken layers can cross body part boundaries according to the wound's path over body part relationships).

I am speechless! Awesome job, Toady!  8)
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1065