Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638479 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #480 on: February 11, 2009, 02:35:52 pm »

Magma men with obsidian bones, magma blood, obsidian skin over magma flesh that leaks out when pierced, giving off puffs of magma vapor, spitting globs of magma.  Oh yes.

Yeah, and if I am correct, the squirted magma will damage the surrounding items/creatures.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 11, 2009, 03:55:54 pm »

And then they'll get thirsty from the heat and need a good drink of rum.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:56 pm »

-snip wishlist-

That's actually a pretty fun and sane wish list!

Having seen what old growth forests look like inside and outside of deer exclosures, I think it would be really neat if herbivores munched on plants and stuff and could eat some of the herbs your herbalists like to gather.  If you think that huge packs of deer making a beeline for newly-grown plants and swarming them is unrealistic...well, then you don't know much about deer!

For larger maps and full planets, I personally harbor a LOT of hatred for toroidal maps.  They're an enormous cop-out.  Cylindrical maps (where you can't exit the top and bottom) are much more acceptable but still not very good.  The PC game "Evolution" had a hex map that was divided into...um...a dodecahedron or something?  In any case, it had a large, full strip around the equator, but as you approached the poles, it turned into triangles that tapered off towards the poles.  You could step off the side of one triangle and wind up on the next one though, so it was surprisingly accurate.  Very important in a game that semirealistically models species moving around on a globe.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 11, 2009, 05:09:52 pm »

Interesting note: A typical square map doesn't even accurately represent a torus (or vice-versa). Think about it: Curve a square piece of paper with a grid on it into a cylinder; you're okay at this point. But then, to curve that into a torus, you have to stretch the thing. Essentially, map squares on the inside ring of the torus are smaller than the ones on the outside.

I personally have no idea how Toady could do a full globe. I'm not even going to try. D:
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 11, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »

Do we NEED an accurate representation of a globe? This is a fantasy universe after all. I don't think anyone will mind a quasi-rectangular world that simply loops in each direction...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 11, 2009, 05:26:38 pm »

Or we could have a flat piece of earth that balances on a tortoise shell.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 11, 2009, 05:32:48 pm »

Hm. Upheld by three elephants standing on three turtles riding on a mighty carp?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 11, 2009, 05:46:46 pm »

I always wanted to do a write-up of a fantasy world that closely resembled Earth, except it would actually be a flat, infinite plane, that went off in all directions, forever, with Earth-sized pieces of property (including continents and oceans, such as ours) separated from each other by broad tracts of arctic waste.
For they would be your masters.

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 11, 2009, 05:56:34 pm »

Do we NEED an accurate representation of a globe?

I don't think so..  middle-earth got away with it by being the only 'interesting' part of the world worth mentioning.

That's how I see the DF world too. Everything else is not important to the narrative at hand.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 11, 2009, 06:08:00 pm »

World shape sounds like one of those things Toady might add eventually just because he can, but won't add any time soon because it doesn't really matter. And if he ever does, it will undoubtedly have a dozen world gen parameters to set general shape, size, curvature, coordinate system, direction and strength of gravity, properties of space and the value of π. If we have isometric graphics by then, maybe we can do fucked up Escher landscapes.

Oh, and SirHoneyBadger, at least one infinite flat fantasy world exists. The DnD Planescape campaign setting had the Outlands (I think it was called that), which supposedly stretched infinitely in every direction. And had an infinitely tall spire right in the middle. In Planescape, a lot of things are infinite.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 11, 2009, 06:43:21 pm »

Yeah, I kind of liked Planescape. Especially Sigil(I think?), the city at the center of it all.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 11, 2009, 06:58:38 pm »

I always wanted to do a write-up of a fantasy world that closely resembled Earth, except it would actually be a flat, infinite plane, that went off in all directions, forever, with Earth-sized pieces of property (including continents and oceans, such as ours) separated from each other by broad tracts of arctic waste.
Sounds a little like Exalted.  Except in Exalted, it's chaos instead of ice, and there's only one known "world".
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 11, 2009, 07:26:18 pm »

Well, the big idea was going to be to imagine what our world would look like if sometime after 1492 AD, it was discovered that the "Earth" just kept going and going and going...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 11, 2009, 07:34:25 pm »

Well, the big idea was going to be to imagine what our world would look like if sometime after 1492 AD, it was discovered that the "Earth" just kept going and going and going...

Do Want.  Please write this and get published.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 11, 2009, 07:44:36 pm »

Ehhh... I'm like the worst person in the entire world for finishing long (novel-length) writing projects.

I'm struggling just to keep up with my 'Artifact' community story on the forum, which has been a lot of fun for me.

I wouldn't mind sharing a big project with the right person, and let them carry some of the burden of motivation and focus, but that person hasn't made themself known to me yet, and doing it by myself just doesn't hold my interest.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 1065