Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638280 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #435 on: February 09, 2009, 03:54:17 pm »

I am starting to wonder if we should just have one large "Ask Toady" Topic at this point due to the fact that the questions are now split between two topics... then again that may just cause overactive questioning. Which would become a problem if Toady stopped answering questions.

Well, 'The NEW Future of the Fortress' isn't getting a lot of posts anymore.  This is pretty silly, but as long as everyone just naturally gravitates to a thread it's fine.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 09, 2009, 03:59:58 pm »

This is going to be a long long arc. It is going to be quite a wait.

Though I think this is probably going to be the most impactful release next to making the game 3d.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 09, 2009, 05:31:21 pm »

This is going to be a long long arc. It is going to be quite a wait.

Though I think this is probably going to be the most impactful release next to making the game 3d.

Absolutely...probably this will be the "biggest" update ever. I hope that we can put our hands on it in ~april.  :D

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 09, 2009, 06:23:12 pm »

I have to say... every time I check this topic, I wonder why I'm bothering with the fortess I'm playing now.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 09, 2009, 06:27:50 pm »

Re-melting losing material is a very important gameplay balance thing IMO...  Getting the full volume back leads to free experience in a way that very few other skills do (aside from architecture).

It's not free unless energy* is - what needs to be done is to balance magma, not introduce fake difficulty to another area. It's unrealistic for more than maybe a couple percent of material to be lost in re-melting.

*That and time spent making low-quality stuff rather than hauling / doing what the dwarf's already-skilled job is if they're cross-training / etc, but we generally don't think about those.

Also, if you're ever going to smelt something, you need to have at least SOME carbon on hand, no matter how you melt the stuff involved. It's currently abstracted out, but yeah.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 09, 2009, 06:37:46 pm »

I have to say... every time I check this topic, I wonder why I'm bothering with the fortess I'm playing now.

This is what is demotivating me from playing, oddly enough. :(

I did try adventurer mode, though, but now I want the next version so I can have cooler caves to explore.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 09, 2009, 07:06:34 pm »

I'm having the exact same problem with the anticipation until the release. It doesn't help that the fortress I was currently playing crashes every time, about a month after loading the save.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 09, 2009, 07:17:36 pm »

Absolutely...probably this will be the "biggest" update ever. I hope that we can put our hands on it in ~april.  :D

If I see anyone saying "Someone said it's coming out in April" because of this post, I am going to scream.  :D

My personal guess is...not April.  Or March or February for that matter.  I'm thinking June as an optimistic guess, myself.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 09, 2009, 07:20:20 pm »

Well I guess it will be out on the same day everyone is very happy and on their computers for a very long period of time!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 09, 2009, 07:31:11 pm »

@ sowelu: it's very hard to resist doing so right now...
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:26 pm »

...you mean...its not coming out in april?  :'( :'(
jk.
I'm finding adventurer mode is pretty good if your goal is to kill everything in the city in which you start and go from there.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2009, 09:02:55 pm »

I'm using the approaching next version as a deadline. "Must... experience... nobles!  Must... activate... economy! Must... complete... megaconstruction!  Must... talk like... Shatner!"

So far, I've got an adamantine-loving Baron Consort (Whose only real annoying penchant is forbidding export of things that A) I've already sold and B) are already halfway off the map.  Lost two glassmakers (Out of 30), a fish dissector (lol) and a lye maker (Also lol)).  The economy doesn't seem to be doing anything, although I do have room rent turned off and no shops built.  And I have a diamond-shaped tower 15 z-levels high, even if only half the floors are finished.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 09, 2009, 09:07:14 pm »

I'm using the approaching next version as a deadline. "Must... experience... nobles!  Must... activate... economy! Must... complete... megaconstruction!  Must... talk like... Shatner!"

Glad to know I'm not the only one.  It's the passing of an era, and I need to see the Late Game before it becomes irrelevant.

I will get my own fort over 80 population!  I must!
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 09, 2009, 09:09:41 pm »

Late game is actually pretty cool, aside from the single-digit-FPS thing.  There's lots of neat touches that only show up post-economy, like dwarves meeting with the mayor to express specific grievances.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 09, 2009, 09:11:26 pm »

like dwarves meeting with the mayor to express specific grievances.

I've seen that happen with four dwarves, after a first year ambush.

Mostly, I just want to pull of an actual megaconstruction, fend off a real siege, and see HFS for real, not as an experiment.  And I've got just the fort to do them all with.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 1065