Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638073 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #345 on: February 07, 2009, 10:48:48 am »

Miasma just means a bad smell.

On the contrary.

That was a theory created in the Middle Ages to explain disease, but now we know that disease is spread by bacteria.

However, there's no reason to assume that all worlds are like that. As fantasy elements go, challenging the germ theory of disease is a pretty mild change.

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 07, 2009, 11:19:47 am »

Well, I think that making miasma an inhaled poison that causes vomiting in higher concetrations is quite plausible, don't you think?

"I tested out these and the poison effects by making the berserk test dwarf breathe dwarven blood vapor that was linked to an inhaled poison effect that caused immediate pain throughout the body."

Wicked! Please, leave it for Armok-worshipping berserks :).
Sapienti Sat.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2009, 12:14:39 pm »

God is this release going to be fun.  Especially the first few versions before most of the bugs are ironed out.

Material projectiles?  Illness effect links?  Sprayable attacks and/or constant release clouds?

Quote from: Toady One
I tested out these and the poison effects by making the berserk test dwarf breathe dwarven blood vapor that was linked to an inhaled poison effect that caused immediate pain throughout the body.

Best game in the world.  I want it now!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 07, 2009, 12:22:53 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I tested out these and the poison effects by making the berserk test dwarf breathe dwarven blood vapor that was linked to an inhaled poison effect that caused immediate pain throughout the body.

Best game in the world.

Was there ever any doubt?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 07, 2009, 12:42:41 pm »

"liquid/solid glob projectiles" -- wow.  I don't even know what that has to do with breath weapons, but I like it.  If the globs spatter on impact, that would be a kickass way to transfer a contact poison.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 07, 2009, 01:07:49 pm »

"liquid/solid glob projectiles" -- wow.  I don't even know what that has to do with breath weapons, but I like it.  If the globs spatter on impact, that would be a kickass way to transfer a contact poison.

Likewise, SOLID globs could possibly be turned into effective guns/cannon attacks for metal Colossi, if there's any initial damage effect from impact. If not, substitution with a short-lived, high-damage contact poison would do.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 07, 2009, 02:12:53 pm »

Stray kitten coughs up a hairball!
The hairball strikes the kobold in the the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 07, 2009, 02:38:52 pm »

Likewise, SOLID globs could possibly be turned into effective guns/cannon attacks for metal Colossi...

The Bronze Collosus sneezes.
A bronze glob shoots out!
It begins spinning!
The bronze glob strikes Urist McTissue in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
Urist McTissue has been struck down.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2009, 03:46:57 pm »

Yeah awesome stuff...the next version will keep the modders very busy I guess.... ;D Oh boy! I guess I will mod in a lizardmen race and I will "give them" a special ranged attack. Breath Acid/Acid Splash or something along that line.  8)

*edit*
Toady I am seriously thinking about hitting that donation button again.  :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:49:29 pm by Tormy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 07, 2009, 03:52:36 pm »

Kinda funny (or possibly Ironic) that not too long ago people were complaining that Toady was concentrating too much on pointless stupid stuff.

Now all that "Pointless stupid stuff" IS what is making the game seem unbelievably awsome.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 07, 2009, 04:26:48 pm »

However, it seems a bit off that the only way to employ inhaled poisons is with breath weapons. An "aura" system might be visually cluttering, but surely there must be other ways to use inhaled poisons?

For example, plants that explode, or trees that periodically "pollinate" the area with an equivalent breath weapon; maybe gaseous body layers could carry inhaled poisons that might transfer when leaked. At the very least, collapse dust and smoke ought to have some effect.
The poisonous forest of fungi from Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind comes to mind. Some areas, like sufficiently evil swamps, might also have poison gasses hovering around for no obvious reason. I can imagine being forced to remain on high ground so the heavier-than-air miasma stuff won't make you dizzy or something.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 07, 2009, 04:38:12 pm »

However, it seems a bit off that the only way to employ inhaled poisons is with breath weapons. An "aura" system might be visually cluttering, but surely there must be other ways to use inhaled poisons?

For example, plants that explode, or trees that periodically "pollinate" the area with an equivalent breath weapon; maybe gaseous body layers could carry inhaled poisons that might transfer when leaked. At the very least, collapse dust and smoke ought to have some effect.
The poisonous forest of fungi from Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind comes to mind. Some areas, like sufficiently evil swamps, might also have poison gasses hovering around for no obvious reason. I can imagine being forced to remain on high ground so the heavier-than-air miasma stuff won't make you dizzy or something.

If "aura" breath weapons could be applied to plants....

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 07, 2009, 04:52:40 pm »

For dangerous plants, perhaps you could make an immobile creature out of plant materials.  Though I guess you wouldn't be able to get new ones once you'd killed off any you started with.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 07, 2009, 05:24:49 pm »

For dangerous plants, perhaps you could make an immobile creature out of plant materials.  Though I guess you wouldn't be able to get new ones once you'd killed off any you started with.

Sure you could, you just need to buy them caged, then stick the cage where you want the thing to be, hook it up to a lever, pull the lever, forbid the cage and just let them breed!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 07, 2009, 05:26:28 pm »

See also: spawning at map edges.

The Ambush Predator tag from GCS (creature is invisible until discovered/attacking) with a Benign or non-aggression tag could work. That, or give it to vermin.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 1065