Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630240 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2009, 12:51:59 pm »

Zombie opposition to salt is just general Evil Stomping. Salt also works on Demons, Ghosts, and evil spirits as well.

Miasma is a bit more then a bad smell... Toady is definately going to attach Diseases to it down the road. Expect your Butchers to get ill.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:56:32 pm by Neonivek »

SombreChapaeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2009, 01:18:07 pm »

butchers should eventually become immune.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2009, 01:30:41 pm »

On the more mundane side of breath weapons, if z-axis is supported well enough it would probably be possible to code in whales blowing water in the air and that one kind of fish spitting down bugs to eat.

Sounds dandy!

However, it seems a bit off that the only way to employ inhaled poisons is with breath weapons. An "aura" system might be visually cluttering, but surely there must be other ways to use inhaled poisons?

For example, plants that explode, or trees that periodically "pollinate" the area with an equivalent breath weapon; maybe gaseous body layers could carry inhaled poisons that might transfer when leaked. At the very least, collapse dust and smoke ought to have some effect.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2009, 01:42:32 pm »

^^^ A lot of that came up in this thread.  Basically all of the crafting professions could stand to generate some kind of dust or another -- sawdust for woodworking, rock dust from stoneworking, etc.  Mining ought to generate rock dust too, of course.  Of course, most of those dust types would be irritants at most, with poisonous properties reserved for a few special materials, i.e. poisonous minerals, ores of heavy metals, etc.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:44:09 pm by Footkerchief »

Lord Aether

• Bay Watcher
  • FOR THE DWARVES!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2009, 03:08:10 pm »

trees that periodically "pollinate" the area with an equivalent breath weapon

Dwarves with allergies @_@
The bunny likes you.

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pre-publish publish?
« Reply #320 on: February 06, 2009, 03:32:37 pm »

I'm so excited about being able to have my dwarves hurt/be hurt (by) things in new ways... that I have to ask: Is there a possibility for a pre-release publish with wounds?

Just curious :)

Zaloran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2009, 03:39:32 pm »

there are going to be new options for adventure mode? Like mining, choping, and a very basic building system.

although, with the new venoms and body parts, combats in adventure mode are going to be more and more interesting...

Keep up the good work, Toady!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2009, 05:06:59 pm »

What are the new entity positions?  I see references to the manager, bookkeeper, priests, guards, liason, the monarch and spouse and nobles in general, but nothing specific on anything new (other than it seems gobbos will worship/follow megabeasts now).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2009, 05:11:34 pm »

It's a pity that ingested poisons aren't on the list. I want my philosopher to drink hemlock :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2009, 05:15:17 pm »

Soldiers that are standing down should sort out their equipment according to their settings, trading up if proper, generally sort out their belongings

Toady,

With materials changing so much about equipment, how are you planning on handling the Soldier's trading up to better equipment? Obviously, a fine Steel sword is an upgrade to a fine Iron sword. But what about a Masterwork Steel hammer compared to an Adamantine hammer? Or a basic Iron shield vs a high quality Copper one?

Mostly I'm trying to figure out what the rule of thumb will be for what equipment to make. I realize even you might not have an answer to this until you play around with stuff some more, but I'm really curious how all of this will work.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2009, 05:37:51 pm »

I know I might be behind on this one, and that it's been brought up about 50 times, but in the spirit of the previous post I'd like to know if bronze weapons (and armor too, I suppose) are going to be more effective than iron weapons under the new systems being implemented, as in reality bronze is  actually a sturdier material than base iron, although not steel.  Does anyone know?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 06, 2009, 05:44:18 pm »

butchers should eventually become immune.

They would if Miasma was a disease that couldn't mutate.

Unfortunately they would be rather vulnerable if you don't take proper care of the butchery.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 06, 2009, 09:59:36 pm »

On the more mundane side of breath weapons, if z-axis is supported well enough it would probably be possible to code in whales blowing water in the air and that one kind of fish spitting down bugs to eat.

As for iron vulnerability, I think elves should be exempt. As a vanilla playable race, they shouldn't have that many horrible weaknesses; having to start with wooden weapons is bad enough. I think they're more Tolkien-elves than folklore-elves, anyway.

Tolkein's elves are still based on folklorish elves, it's just Nordic mythology rather than Celtic. (IIRC, Danish "alfs" are not allergic to iron, by the way)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 06, 2009, 10:06:08 pm »

Yeah but Celtic elves I think are killed by living... No wait... I think I am mixing up a specific kind of Celtic elf.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2009, 10:39:59 pm »

Well in basis the iron alergic elves are still Keltic/Germanic but are in the subgroup of the Island-Kelts meaning North Britain, Scottland and the wonderfull ireland.

Norse Mythologie is btw an subgroup of the germanic tribes paganism says the wiki.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 1065