Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630235 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #300 on: February 06, 2009, 06:06:14 am »

Depends on the type of zombie. Some could be immobilised or banished with a small sprinkling on their head, others destroyed if salt was forced into their mouths(or otherwise enter into their body), while some were prevented from crossing a line of salt. For some it had no effect at all.

Kind of similar to vampires in that there are multiple conflicting accounts which are still recognisably referring to the same type of creature, with the potential for more than one type to exist in the same world. Which could prove quite a shock for an unprepared hunter.

The effectiveness of steel on fey with susceptibility to iron would depend on whether the susceptibility is physiological or mystical in nature in the game world. If physiological I would expect steel to have much the same effect as iron. If mystical then it's entirely possible for steel to have no additional effect (poking someone with a sharp piece of metal is rarely going to give them a good day, regardless of what it's made from).
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2009, 07:18:32 am »

Yes! It was kinda iffy for a while but I believe we will have Material Breath this release!

(Since it was written as "Consider")

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 06, 2009, 07:42:34 am »

Wow.  If material clouds are going in, that means you could have things like demons kicking up clouds of elf-bone-meal dust as they stampede through horrible dungeons.  Or caravans leaving clouds of sandy dust in their wake.   

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 06, 2009, 08:06:26 am »

Yes! It was kinda iffy for a while but I believe we will have Material Breath this release!

(Since it was written as "Consider")

Yeah.
02/05/2009:
"I finished up the effects today and allowed for inhalation of gaseous materials. I'll need to do material breath attacks to take advantage of that."

Pure awesomeness.  8)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2009, 08:13:23 am »

Toady are we going to be able to apply impact to Material breath or is this going to wait until you set up Material Projectiles or an expansion of the material breath system?

Or what I mean is... Can the Gold Dragon Vomit a cone of gold so hard that it can knock people out?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2009, 08:18:06 am »

^^^ I imagine if the material is in the solid phase, it'll get forced to become a powder.  Likewise liquids and mist.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:39 am »

Well, we can have creatures that breathe poison gas.

Awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 06, 2009, 09:37:38 am »

^^^ I imagine if the material is in the solid phase, it'll get forced to become a powder.  Likewise liquids and mist.

Yep so that gold dragon would have to vomit pretty hard!

Though... I also wonder if as well as blunt we could possibly apply "Gore" Damage to it to represent a Barberous breath. (For example Some Spiders send their hard hairs into the air)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2009, 09:55:08 am »

Mythology and folklore usually says that fair-folk find the touch of iron extremely painful and do not even like being anyware near the stuff.
Nothing like a sharp blade made of a hard, strong metal that's also poisonous to you.
I put satyrs & blendecs up there because of the general lack of fair-folk in the game. I did not include elves because no sword-wielding dwarf or human needs help cutting them to ribbons. I didn't include goblins because they wield iron weapons themselves. Nymphs are also from greek mythology and closely related to satyrs. Faries and pixies are vermin, although I suddenly realize the possible appeal of using iron doors for pest control.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:18 am »

On the more mundane side of breath weapons, if z-axis is supported well enough it would probably be possible to code in whales blowing water in the air and that one kind of fish spitting down bugs to eat.

As for iron vulnerability, I think elves should be exempt. As a vanilla playable race, they shouldn't have that many horrible weaknesses; having to start with wooden weapons is bad enough. I think they're more Tolkien-elves than folklore-elves, anyway.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 06, 2009, 10:29:36 am »

As long as the effect of the brief contact is << (much much less) than the effect of a sword in your guy, you should be ok.

Werewolves in Whitewolf can wield silver weapons, but they take stat penalties for doing so.  (They also took massive extra damage, but it was a separate effect)

Something similar, where an elf touching iron loses 2 strength or something could work.  Basically a poison with a 1 round effect that would keep them from using it without making it worse than the sword in the first place.

The Superman-Kryptonite effect :-D

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #311 on: February 06, 2009, 10:31:57 am »

I hope miasma will not become poisonous.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:55 am »

Salt iirc was belived to work against Ghosts like the banshee (cointact-poison?).

Isn't salt bad for zombies as well?
Slugmen, too.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 06, 2009, 11:32:33 am »

I hope miasma will not become poisonous.

Miasma just means a bad smell.

Salt iirc was belived to work against Ghosts like the banshee (cointact-poison?).

Isn't salt bad for zombies as well?
Slugmen, too.

I hope that we don't have useless salt AND soap makers...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 06, 2009, 12:33:11 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 1065