Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630204 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2009, 07:52:48 pm »

just pray the impossible haulage job will cancel, otherwise the hauler will just keep tugging it all day untill he/she gets thirsty, accumulating masses of powerlifting body-xp.

I don't think it will be much of an issue though as most objects will be less than the weight of one rought stone. (decorations will have <100% weight contribution to the base material of an object, I hope) 

Well, bins are made out of multiple bars, each of which is one ore.  Conservation of mass would suggest it couldn't weigh more than three stones, but let's face it - DF knows nothing of conservation or realistic volumetrics.

I suppose in theory, any creature could gain enough strength to lift anything eventually.  A better solution would be to get multiple dwarves to grab the thing at once, but that's a whole other arc there.

Quote from: 'Aquizzar'

Hey buddy, what did I do to you?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:55 pm »

yeah.
although I'd say not 3stone X, but 3bars of Y.

smelting is a purification process, so highly lossy on mass.
one bunch of ore plus one pile of coal -> X% of a bar of metal depending on the richness of the ore. bars are by design of identical mass and fractional bar production has been coded for ages.

Spillage in smithing is probably best at 0, for clarity. (even though small amounts of raw materials are lost in any manufacturing process.) 

edit: funny how 'heavy metal toxicity' goes to 'heavy metal objects' to 'conservation of mass'.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:08:03 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 03, 2009, 08:04:37 pm »

It may be unfortunate, but it is true. There is an instinct to go for the 'u' right after the 'q'.

... That wasn't supposed to rhyme when I first thought of it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 03, 2009, 08:13:35 pm »

The worries about impossible hauling are probably unfounded for at least two reasons.

1. The current hauling-heavy-stuff system works sensibly enough.

2. Toady was talking about strikes which are pretty different from holding or even equipping items.  I imagine he implemented it for the purpose of giving strikes a meaningful, quantifiable momentum, without which all those exact material properties wouldn't be useful.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 03, 2009, 08:44:48 pm »

The issue is how Toady is going to try to bridge the strong (though unknown division) between players who want a more realistic dwarf fortress and those who don't mind the supernatural element.

Even Turning off magic isn't enough.

Well, I am pretty sure that we will be able to turn off whatever we want in the future. [Just like we can turn off temperature for example, or we can remove/add anything via modding.] In fact, imho Toady will make the currently not moddable features moddable also. [Sieges/Siege system for example.]
This is the only way to keep all players happy, since DF is a very complex game, and it will be much more complex even in the future.  :)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 03, 2009, 08:56:15 pm »

Poisons sure look promising.

I can imagine an elf firing arrows tipped in a poison that will make a dwarf's beard fall out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 03, 2009, 09:03:59 pm »

Poisons sure look promising.

I can imagine an elf firing arrows tipped in a poison that will make a dwarf's beard fall out.

Amazing idea.  And while we're at it, why not poisons that make your skin or other tissues slough off instead?  Although I'm not sure what should happen if, for example, your muscles turn to slime while your skin remains intact.  I mean, aside from agonizing death.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 03, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »

Amazing idea.  And while we're at it, why not poisons that make your skin or other tissues slough off instead?  Although I'm not sure what should happen if, for example, your muscles turn to slime while your skin remains intact.  I mean, aside from agonizing death.
The elf gets a new *Dwarf Leather Handbag*.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:35 pm »

just pray the impossible haulage job will cancel, otherwise the hauler will just keep tugging it all day untill he/she gets thirsty, accumulating masses of powerlifting body-xp.

"Hey there, still trying to move that artifact lead coffin you made, Bomrek?"

"I WILL *gasp* USE THIS IN MY *pant* EFPIC CRYPT IF IT KILLS ME! *wheeze*"

"...convenient, that."
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 03, 2009, 10:26:09 pm »

Hey wait why only creature? What about artefacts? Some Artefacts could have an own will. They could wisper to you, control your body, or give you additional abilitys like nightvision as long as the like you.

A sword that actually possesses you when you go berserk in battle, replacing your mental attributes and skills with its own would be very, very interesting.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:28 pm »

Hey wait why only creature? What about artefacts? Some Artefacts could have an own will. They could wisper to you, control your body, or give you additional abilitys like nightvision as long as the like you.

A sword that actually possesses you when you go berserk in battle, replacing your mental attributes and skills with its own would be very, very interesting.
And that is the kind of magic sword I can support. Fireballs and "laser" shooting and "suddenly able to cut anything even though it's made of bone" - that is silly.
Substituting its will for yours... has some vile appeal to it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:41:58 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 03, 2009, 10:35:51 pm »

"A sword that actually possesses you when you go berserk in battle, replacing your mental attributes and skills with its own would be very, very interesting."

Especially interesting when the spirit that takes you over once belonged to a basking shark.
For they would be your masters.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2009, 10:43:15 pm »

"A sword that actually possesses you when you go berserk in battle, replacing your mental attributes and skills with its own would be very, very interesting."

Especially interesting when the spirit that takes you over once belonged to a basking shark.

There's some myth or other with a Cauldron having trapped souls within it. It could boil water, and drain the sea, if I remember rightly. And anvils. Anvils with posessed souls placing interesting curses on items forged thereon.
[/quote]

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 03, 2009, 10:47:39 pm »

If poisons can be added to metal templates - i.e. lead poisoning - then simply give a metal a mind-affecting poison that deteriorates compassion, moderation and pain reception.

Equip your army and wait for them to go insane.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 03, 2009, 11:29:23 pm »

Thought:  Silver could be a poison that only affects were-beasts.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 1065