Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630194 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #225 on: February 03, 2009, 10:47:16 am »

The issue is how Toady is going to try to bridge the strong (though unknown division) between players who want a more realistic dwarf fortress and those who don't mind the supernatural element.

Even Turning off magic isn't enough.

Yeah.  For once I'm glad that we won't be seeing a feature for a long time.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 03, 2009, 10:52:30 am »

The issue is how Toady is going to try to bridge the strong (though unknown division) between players who want a more realistic dwarf fortress and those who don't mind the supernatural element.

Even Turning off magic isn't enough.

Yeah.  For once I'm glad that we won't be seeing a feature for a long time.

honestly? after a point, I think he wont.
I mean, cyclopses? Strange pantheons of alien gods? People talk of solving "the bearded ladies debate" by pointing to what is "canon". I think a certain amount of the fantastical will just simply be "canon". Aside from turning off magic, and various bits like the undead, the rest will be left to the modders to do a total conversion mod if they feel that strongly about it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:40 am »

Right not every Supernatural effect has to be magic. Well toady could part the "High Fantasy"-stuff in Religion (wonders etc.), Magic and Supernatural Artefacts. Each gets an counter from 0 to 1000 which determines the chance of occuring.

So this way you could have Wizzards (Magic) but no Flaming swords (Supernatural Artefacts) if you set Magic high and Artefacts low.

Thought it might be an problem to draw a line between Religion, Artefacts and magic in some cases.

edit:
(damn Grammar nazis)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:33:55 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Turnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2009, 11:25:30 am »

Artifact, heph, not artefakt
And (because of various programming quirks) dwarves are kinda stupid. Granted, so are the other races. But still.
And yet these stupid dwarves are going to eventually make a nuclear weapon out of cheese and basalt.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2009, 11:53:05 am »

Quote from: G-Flex
Obviously they rely on brute force due to a heavy end, but you also need to be able to swing the damn thing, and you can't swing a 100-pound mace very fast, now can you?

This is somewhat accounted for now, though I can only test it out properly once I've greened out the wounds and skills/atts portions.  The swing velocity depends on strength and the weight of the object among other things, so a truly large object will have its raw mass cancelled out by the lameness of the strike...

So furniture will be somewhat less useful as a weapon? Yay!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 03, 2009, 12:37:18 pm »

Obviously they rely on brute force due to a heavy end, but you also need to be able to swing the damn thing, and you can't swing a 100-pound mace very fast, now can you?

This is somewhat accounted for now, though I can only test it out properly once I've greened out the wounds and skills/atts portions.  The swing velocity depends on strength and the weight of the object among other things, so a truly large object will have its raw mass cancelled out by the lameness of the strike...

So furniture will be somewhat less useful as a weapon? Yay!
I imagine that depends on who is wielding it. For a kobold it would be the worst weapon in the world, but for a titan I imagine it would make a nice makeshift hammer.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 03, 2009, 03:05:36 pm »

POOOOIIIIISSSOOOONNNNNNNNSSSSSSSS

I'm deathly curious about some of the stuff that ties into that.

For example, will we get/need Alchemy Shop jobs to process venoms/antivenoms/medicine? Will poisons be able to be applied to plants, stones, or trees?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 03, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »

This begs a question-

With a more realistic appreciation for weight as far as weapons are concerned, does this translate to all object interaction?  I forsee problems with players using venerable tactics like lead bins, which the dwarves then can't pick up and move.  Which would be entirely realistic, but pretty important to know.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2009, 05:09:14 pm »

I forsee problems with players using venerable tactics like lead bins, which the dwarves then can't pick up and move.
Well, yes, but with Toady One's current focus, the truly important question with lead containers is whether we'll have heavy metal toxicity.

No fantasy world epic is complete without it.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2009, 06:12:59 pm »

Aren't lead bins already heavier than copper or wooden ones? Why would this change that at all?
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 03, 2009, 06:21:25 pm »

Aren't lead bins already heavier than copper or wooden ones? Why would this change that at all?

Right now, absolutely any object can be picked up, no matter how heavy.  It just slows down whoever's carrying it - maybe to ridiculously slow speed, but never actually immobile.  With a realistic tracking of weight, a object too heavy for any dwarf to lift would just be stuck there forever.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2009, 06:25:07 pm »

For some reason, I was reminded of the hydra principle here. Where if you "kill" one soul, two more will take its place. Which actually could make sense, if you think of each head on the hydra having an individual soul.

HYRAS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

GOOD NIGHT

Calm down now. 'Twas merely an example. No need to get too excited. =D

Also: Every day, I become even more in love with Dwarf Fortress.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2009, 06:42:47 pm »

as scary as the thought of

"Urist Mchauler cancels: move object to depot: Object is too heavy."

can be, I don't see where there's reason to believe, that weight reducing the effectiveness of a weapon,will make it outright impossible, to wield or carry oversized objects. Quite the opposite, there's less reason to penalize overweight items, if you can't lift them in the first place.

Making the impossible merely highly impractical seems to be the plan, though that's just my perspective.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Behrooz Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Woo, I play with dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2009, 07:42:38 pm »

Quote from: 'Aquizzar'
With a realistic tracking of weight, a object too heavy for any dwarf to lift would just be stuck there forever.

Anything can be picked up by a sufficiently badass dwarf.
Behrooz''s Law:<BR>The relevance of ongoing discussion in a bulletin board thread is inversely proportional to both the volume and number of quotations appended therein.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2009, 07:46:10 pm »

just pray the impossible haulage job will cancel, otherwise the hauler will just keep tugging it all day untill he/she gets thirsty, accumulating masses of powerlifting body-xp.

I don't think it will be much of an issue though as most objects will be less than the weight of one rought stone. (decorations will have <100% weight contribution to the base material of an object, I hope) 
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 1065