Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630097 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2009, 05:50:17 am »

Also just out of curiosity is there a rhyme or reason to the order your doing it in or just whatever you want to do at the time?

From earlier in the thread:

Quote from: LumenPlacidum
I read it as having necrotic venoms, which are really hideous.

Yeah, that's what we meant...  some months back, Threetoe and I happened upon the Discovery channel "series" (it has like 2 episodes) "I Was Bitten".  It was trashy, of course, but it was also thoroughly disgustingly graphic and therefore inspiring for the game.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2009, 06:01:26 am »

Also just out of curiosity is there a rhyme or reason to the order your doing it in or just whatever you want to do at the time?

If "it" is the selected venom effects, I wanted to get the basic snake ones in.  If "the order" is venom being before the rest of wounds, it was just my head getting a little tired of wounds but also wounds being up to the point where I could support all of the venom effects, so I felt like changing gears for a little while.  If "the order" is venom being done before other far off dev items, then the Footkerchief post.  I Was Bitten. (from left speaker)  I Was Bitten.  (right)  I Was Bitten.  (far off) I Was Bitten.  (etc.)  I Was Bitten.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2009, 06:02:54 am »

"Toady said: (ie can you twist or bend the material and break it)"

Does this mean that we will also be able to rip off/bend limbs?

(I don't know how to do a quote right so i did my best)
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2009, 06:04:49 am »

Whee! venom! and other poisons!
now if only glass vials and other "container" items like barrels took damage, so could drop contact poison on invaders.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2009, 06:07:52 am »

I think we need some anti-venom system going as well, to prevent all our beloved dwarves from dying in many new terrible ways.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2009, 06:26:48 am »

I think we need some anti-venom system going as well, to prevent all our beloved dwarves from dying in many new terrible ways.

You can already extract antivenin from GCS, etc., or at least caravans bring some occasionally  There might not be any way of actually extracting it yourself, and I'm pretty sure there's no use for it.

Hopefully useful antivenin would fall under healthcare, but the use of medicinal substances isn't really mentioned one way or the other in the list.  I would think that medicines could be implemented (at least initially) like "inverse poisons" -- the methods of administration would be the same (inhale/inject/contact/ingest), and it would be cool to have this salve for healing your heart, while that tincture heals your eyes, etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:28:46 am by Footkerchief »

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2009, 06:57:29 am »

Whee! venom! and other poisons!
now if only glass vials and other "container" items like barrels took damage, so could drop contact poison on invaders.

Hehe, poison barrel trebuchet launcher. Diseased cow launcher also?
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2009, 09:17:34 am »

Yeah let's hope so...note: hopefully the [dwarven] AI will be decent enough also, since right now it can happen that the dwarves don't even bring food/drink to the bedridden midgets....because just imagine what's gonna happen if 15 dwarves will be bitten by snakes on the same day.  :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:20:56 am by Tormy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2009, 09:19:00 am »

just imagine what's gonna happen if 15 dwarves will be bitten by snakes on the same day

Well my math skills have deduced that the amount of Dwarves who will die will be equal to or greater then 15
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:23:34 am by Neonivek »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2009, 09:58:03 am »

@undead souls:

Ah I think I understand now: by whatever means the body (or other object) has been made a 'barracks' for disembodied souls in stead of the normal 'body is assigned to [Urist born-into-it]', any number of souls can crash into it... who gets to claim ownership? FIFO? or will the souls have to battle each other for controll of the brain?

combat of wills would make sense with possesion, more willfull souls possessing a susceptible body when the owner is depressed, cursed, etc. Normally dead souls should have a decreased willpower, or they lose 'power' over time when manifesting.
"we are legion, we swallow your soul!"

Or a wandering ghost creature could just get a 'mood' and be driven to occupy the nearest dwarf with attribute X and have it create an artifact or perform murderous act Y on a hated acquaintance.
If it fails to do so it drives the occupee insane, if successfull the ghost will leave the body in an orderly fashion.

Souls could become the currency of gods/demons upon sacrifice/death of worshipper.

Are souls created de-novo at birth/conception or recycled from a soulpool aka karmic? 
I'd say the former (to conserve freedom of religion) with exceptions for when gods want to curse/reincarnate a late worshipper's soul.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2009, 10:00:12 am »

just imagine what's gonna happen if 15 dwarves will be bitten by snakes on the same day

Well my math skills have deduced that the amount of Dwarves who will die will be equal to or greater then 15

Greater. Bim will die of snakebite. Bim's wife will be all "OH! why oh why did I not just bring him the antivenin? He just thought I had so much that I thought was more important, and now he's dead! Why did I think I could drink and go to that party when he was lying on his death bed!"

And then she throws herself off the bridge.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2009, 10:20:58 am »

Multiple souls in one creature are awesome. This could lead to some very interresting effects like Werwolves (or other Wer-"Generic Animal") switching between human ad animal soul on special sittuations. Golum comes also to mind. Insane people that have Dissociative identity disorder that is caused by real additional souls. "The Sixt Sense" situations with people claiming that they here dead peope.

Oh and for villians it would be an nice chance. Urist MCnecromant reached 150 years. Cause his body will die on old age soon he switches the Soul with Bomrek MCyoungman. This is some real nice form of dark immortallity.

Hey wait why only creature? What about artefacts? Some Artefacts could have an own will. They could wisper to you, control your body, or give you additional abilitys like nightvision as long as the like you.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:25:23 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2009, 10:28:03 am »

Yep especially for moods that involve killing dwarves :D

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2009, 10:35:14 am »

Wow, the more I find out the direction the "supernatural" stuff is taking the ore I am impressed. Multiple souls? Great story dynamic, and the "traditional" stories with it are, oddly enough, not mined to death. In terms of game mechanic, it could be so very in-the-background, and yet cause so many interesting little things to turn to FUN. (ghosts haunting loved ones to carry on their grudges, comes to mind, or to keep their crypts around instead of re-using their coffin after the funeral)... also, keeping an entity around in some sense so you can still assign a crypt to them after they're dead.

And even better, the way I see this panning out, the combat/injury part of multiple souls doesn't lead to overpowering uberness without a great deal of finesse gone into managing it.
...It does lead to hive-mind creatures, though, who are all technically of one mind/soul yet with multiple bodies... which is sheer awesomeness!
[/quote]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2009, 10:40:00 am »

The issue is how Toady is going to try to bridge the strong (though unknown division) between players who want a more realistic dwarf fortress and those who don't mind the supernatural element.

Even Turning off magic isn't enough.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 1065