Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3629923 times)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2009, 04:45:52 pm »

Whoah. I knew you had a lot on your plate, but this kinda puts things into perspective. I'm looking forward to the underground changes in particular :)

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2009, 05:36:09 am »

There is one other interface issue thats occured to me, currently as far as I can tell the site finder will put some considerable effort into checking all available sites and then presents you with just one potential candidate even though there might be several on any given generated world. Perhaps it would be better instead if an array was produced of sites that match the criteria on a per-biome basis (IE you wouldn't get 20 match entries in one biome, that'd probably be a bit much). This would reduce the amount of time spent playing around with the site finder options until a tempting site comes up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:45:03 am by Larington »
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2009, 12:13:08 pm »

oh yeah. seconded.
a tweak that has the 10-20(init) best matches listed and allows to cycle through them.
(showing the seach-and-found parameters for each one, like during the search itself)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2009, 11:09:21 pm »

Considering the underground is getting more features in the 3D, i really hope that the depth of the map is adjustable, and that the size constraints can be reduced to just one local tile.

Nothing like hitting a chasm feature for the Nth time at level -70, and still running at 100 frames per second... [And drowning the bastards with that third cave river!] 8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:11:31 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2009, 11:29:26 pm »

I'd like a way to adjust the embark site size once you've started your fortress. If you started a little 2x2 fort and you don't think you have enough room, just expand the site and you're good to go. If you think you have an excess of your land, shrink the site. When shrinking the site all units we be shoved inside the new boundaries and everything else would be saved in case you want to expand the site again.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:24 pm »

Shrinking would probably be a hell of a lot easier than expanding, depending on how the game actually calculates what's in a local square.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2009, 01:12:37 am »

Felblood cancels sleep: Worshiping toad.

It's been said before, but Toady deserves all the kudos we can give.

The stuff under the Squads tab in particular fulfills so many wishes I wasn't even aware I was wishing for them, until I saw them on that list.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2009, 05:24:29 pm »

"# Soldiers that are standing down should sort out their equipment according to their settings, trading up if proper, generally sort out their belongings"

I lost a champion recently because I got distracted between telling him to take off his +armor+ and putting on masterwork stuff, and sent him against some bowgoblins wearing only a very nice steel cap.

The entire new release looks fun.  I can't wait to send in bug reports play it.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:13 pm »

I can't wait to send in bug reports play it.

Heh, ouch. Let's hope Toady won't have too much trouble with bugs, since he has to rewrite a lot of stuff over and over he might be forgetting some parts left and right. I wouldn't be surprised if a few forgotten cases popped up.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2009, 10:59:04 pm »

Heh, ouch. Let's hope Toady won't have too much trouble with bugs, since he has to rewrite a lot of stuff over and over he might be forgetting some parts left and right. I wouldn't be surprised if a few forgotten cases popped up.

I believe you fail to understand...

Bugs involving dwarves' lungs exploding at the wrong temperature, sending flying Ribs into other dwarves' skulls will be SO MUCH FUN TO REPORT.

I CAN'T WAIT EITHER.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:48 pm »

Let's be clear, I honor the Toad.  His work is incredible and awe-inspiring.

But after the last big countdown, the first release included a bug where "sleeping" creatures just fell unconscious trying to sleep, eventually dying of thirst.  A game-crippling bug that took a half an hour to catch, after months of preparation.

This release will include as close to a realistic treatment of material physics as any game, maybe any program, ever made, with thousands of material entries to make and test.  Likewise, the most detailed bodypart arrangement system seen outside medical software.  Bad things are going to happen.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2009, 02:09:04 am »

Yes, but they will be the best bad things to ever happen in any game, too.

I can't wait to watch a poison breathing dragon die from inhaling the poison he just exhaled.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2009, 02:40:07 am »

I can't even guess what the comparable 'sleeping sickness' bug will be.  Seeing how complicated the bodies are, I guess something like 'rampant hair growth renders all dwarves immobile masses of beard' or 'misplaced decimal causes kittens to have meter-thick skin', but I'd guess that the body stuff will get the most testing.  It will probably be something more innocuous seeming.
My best bet would be something in the underground features, since it seems like there's probably enough randomness in there with world-gen that a few hundred people generating worlds might be able to get an underground pond inside of a magma pipe inside of a giant cavern inside of another magma pipe or similar disastrous combination.  The 'bottomless pit + magma pipe' thing all over again, except even better.
Whatever the day-1 problem is, it'll probably be fixed by day-2.  I kinda look forward to getting the regular 'bugfix' patches again.
Mods are going to create so many weird problems, though. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:42:46 am by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2009, 08:09:18 am »

Familiarity with individual weapons, attachment to them, weapon mentions in legends

Chapion speardwarf: Adamantine spear? But i love my pointy wooden stick!
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2009, 08:14:05 am »

I believe you fail to understand...

Bugs involving dwarves' lungs exploding at the wrong temperature, sending flying Ribs into other dwarves' skulls will be SO MUCH FUN TO REPORT.

I CAN'T WAIT EITHER.

Exactly. Even the bugs are fun in DF...at least most of them.  ;D This is yet another proof, that DF is truly unique!  :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 1065