Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3629932 times)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2009, 07:44:06 pm »

One thing I would really like, if http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29072.0 is impractical to implement, is a setting for sky height/underground depth. I've had to put off my Underwater Glass Orb City for some time because of this problem.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2009, 07:45:47 pm »

Ideas are good, yes, but I think we should move any ideas that get more then a few posts over to the suggestions forum. That way this thread won't get too cluttered and the ideas can get their fair share of thought put into them. Otherwise I imagine a lot of ideas would die just because everyone started talking about the next day's dev notes.

Seconded.
For they would be your masters.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:32 pm »

"Possibility for unending attacks"

Ratmen everything.

Question: Does this mean that the old 2d system of having creatures randomly hop out of the magma and the river is coming back?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »

Hope so.  Magma and cave rivers should be easy.  A new giant toad or something spawns at the waterfall or a new fire imp spawns at the bottom of the pipe.

Hard parts would be the pools and chasms.  Pools have no source, and only a few of the chasm creatures can fly to get to anyplace harmful.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2009, 09:39:27 pm »

Hope so.  Magma and cave rivers should be easy.  A new giant toad or something spawns at the waterfall or a new fire imp spawns at the bottom of the pipe.

Hard parts would be the pools and chasms.  Pools have no source, and only a few of the chasm creatures can fly to get to anyplace harmful.

I could see Mudmen/Fire Men appearing without much trouble from a cave pool/magma pool, respectively.

Also, I believe Toady's stated he wants to connect cave systems to underground features more, so we may see our replenishment of giant toads in pools come from deep in the caves.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2009, 09:50:25 pm »

I'm guessing that chasms will have some ramps or something along the sides that'll allow creatures to move between Z-levels.  But yeah, pools as we know them don't have much possibility for replenishment.  Hopefully plain pools will be a rarity, and they'll more often appear as part of a cave system or something.

Also, I hope aboveground rivers serve as off-map access points for aquatic creatures too.

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2009, 10:02:38 pm »

I hope when the creature raws update is done the modders get to look at them. While i'm eager for the full update being able to start modding the raws and make new creatures would tide me over even if it'll be months before i get to find out i've made things that combust instantly and explosively upon becoming part of the map due to some weird combination of fixed temperature over the boiling point of their fat or some such.

Two questions though regarding such things.
In the new version do redundant organs have any benefit?
(Two hearts for instance, does it mean there's now two places that can cause a fatal wound?)
How would i setup colour patterns for things that arent eyes (like scales for instance) and how would they look/be listed in game as i assume such features are viewable as part of some sorta text regarding the creature in question?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2009, 10:19:20 pm »

I'd like to know about the redundant organs too, since I really want to mod my dwarfs to have two livers.
For they would be your masters.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2009, 02:20:18 am »

I hope when the creature raws update is done the modders get to look at them. While i'm eager for the full update being able to start modding the raws and make new creatures would tide me over even if it'll be months before i get to find out i've made things that combust instantly and explosively upon becoming part of the map due to some weird combination of fixed temperature over the boiling point of their fat or some such.

Two questions though regarding such things.
(Two hearts for instance, does it mean there's now two places that can cause a fatal wound?)
How would i setup colour patterns for things that arent eyes (like scales for instance) and how would they look/be listed in game as i assume such features are viewable as part of some sorta text regarding the creature in question?

The creature raws won't be reliably "complete" until release; however, if Toady were to get the raws to a point where the underlying format doesn't need to be altered, just the code that it feeds into, then him releasing some of the creature raws for us to try to mimic/toy with could work.

I'd love to see everyone report back on release day with pictures of how their experimental creatures died or had livers on the outside.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2009, 02:26:51 am »

If you go some time back in the dev notes you find some raws already thought i am not sure how "up to date" they are.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2009, 04:14:51 am »

Well, he plans to fix the hydra problem (that presently you only need cut off one head to kill it, when it has 7) so this seems likely.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2009, 07:22:57 am »

regeneration, quickhealing or cauterization seems a prerequisite for the hydra problem,
otherwise a cut caritoid artery would be quite lethal still.
Only removing the hardcoded lose 'a' brain == death won't fix it.

maybe code for sacraficial limbs would be a good generalized mechanism for this.
(comparing hydra heads to lizard tails)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2009, 11:43:55 am »

I can't find it on the list but i just want to check. Is being able to designate a safe area for civilians to take refuge in when a siege occurs (Not just hide under ground)) something that's coming this update? Cause that'd make the life of those who live on the surface a lot easier.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2009, 02:04:41 pm »

I can't find it on the list but i just want to check. Is being able to designate a safe area for civilians to take refuge in when a siege occurs (Not just hide under ground)) something that's coming this update? Cause that'd make the life of those who live on the surface a lot easier.

It hasn't been mentioned for this update, so probably not.  However, it's #5 on Eternal Suggestions Voting, which means it might make it into the next update:

In any case, the idea for the release *after* this next release is going to be to tackle one of the main army issues (improved sieges or sending out armies) as well as to take honest stabs at the top 10 or so entries from eternal suggestions (farming is currently among them), and there will probably be another item or two from dev_next that isn't from the Army Arc, though what we want to do from among those constantly shifts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2009, 04:27:13 pm »

With poisons perhaps the Frog Demons will get that upgrade they so desperately need!

Imagine! Poisonous blood and Skin!

Then again... a Swallow attack would also be cool... but that won't happen until Combat arc.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 1065