Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3629882 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59:35 am »

Named weapons would be nice. For instance, a weapon used for a decade to make dozens of kills by a veteran warrior might get a name, or even acquire legendary properties when the time comes for that (essentially an artifact-through-use, becoming a legendary weapon akin to those in folklore).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2009, 12:17:39 pm »

That maggot thing would be nice.  Currently there is no real reason to care for purring maggots.  You get milk and cheese, which is just another way to overfill yer 100x100 food stockpile. Being able to use them to even abstractly quicken healing would be very nice and add more to the game.

The problem is finding a way to implement it.  I'm not sure people would be happy if their milking stock was suddenly carried off by a medic to help cure Thorin McRedBrain without warning.

Perhaps a designation like a barracks, for a hospital.  Wounded are taken to beds in the hospital if availible, and any purring maggots within the designated area(preferably stored in animal traps) are automatically used on wounded by idle dwarves with health care enabled.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2009, 12:22:12 pm »

I just realised, with the game set up so that blunt weapons now crush things and such, a lead mace could potentially out-damage an adamantine mace due to the lead maces' superior density. Of course, the adamantine mace is relatively indestructible and won't melt when you fight a high-temperature enemy.

This came up a while back in the other thread:

In terms of adamantine weapons, the edge and shear properties mean it will be able to slice through steel for example quite easily, even though the low density means that it won't be effective in bludeoning weapons.  Normal cutting weapons won't be able to slice through your adamantine armor, but you can still get knocked around.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2009, 12:37:00 pm »

So what is a "soul" from a mechanical perspective?

Can they be thrown for massive damage?

My understanding, from other threads, is this:

Souls are what give you your personality.  All the mental, emotional, social, preferential types of stuff that dwarves have now--that might include skills--is part of your soul.  The fact that you like rose gold, that you're quick to anger, that you dislike Bomrek, stuff like that is soul stuff.

In future arcs, when a spirit can possess your body, your soul gets kicked out or displaced by someone with different preferences, different mannerisms, different motives, and possibly different skills.  Your body's strength stays the same, but the new soul controls your empathy.

Issues with undead having souls, to me, is stuff like:  Do they still have the same soul as their original owner of the body, except the body is decayed?  Do they all have a generic soul, defined by their animation by dark magic?

That's my understanding anyway, which may not be correct.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2009, 01:02:16 pm »

Named weapons would be nice. For instance, a weapon used for a decade to make dozens of kills by a veteran warrior might get a name, or even acquire legendary properties when the time comes for that (essentially an artifact-through-use, becoming a legendary weapon akin to those in folklore).
it would be cool if the game kept track of a weapons kills just like it does a dwarf's so that after a certain number of kills it got a basic name, then after yet more kills it would get a better name and so on. I dont think they should get any damage gains or anything else - just the name. Also, perhaps only weapons above a certain level of craftsmanship could aquire names although it might be fun to have an epicly named crappy bronze sword or somthing.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2009, 01:07:34 pm »

I was thinking that wepons should get random names, as well as a record on the occasion it got its name and the general beliefs around it. (It is believed to cry at twilight, it is believed to be the bane of demons etc. not that it would have any effect, just flaour).

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2009, 01:32:35 pm »

about undead and souls...

in many movies, stories, cartoons, etc starring skelletal antagonists, when a limb is severed it continues to (attempt to) attack the protagonist, sometimes recombining into semi-complete or even overcomplete bodies.
how would this work soulwise?
Is a soul an undevidable boolean (has/hasnot) or will it be in the form of a integer 'soulforce' as alternative to the health/energy of living creatures?
Which would allow limbs to inherit a soul-portion proportional to it's relative size, while the first would likely require a centralized location (skull/enchanted soulstone/mindrune/magicbottle/etc).

-
also: gravelbreath? a living sandblaster, how flintonesque! :lol:

-
don't forget other toxins:
-narcotoxins (includes all gasses not breathable) sleep/uncocious -> suffocation
-psychotropics
- is necrotoxin one that causes healthy cells to die or is it a fantasy toxin linked to deathmagic
-if the latter, soultoxins (karma) etc are fair game...
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2009, 01:33:26 pm »

It would be interesting if it also became an artifact after it got extremely high numbers of kills.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2009, 01:43:31 pm »

It would be interesting if it also became an artifact after it got extremely high numbers of kills.

That is a MAJOR flavor decision.  Like.... DO NOT MAKE THIS DECISION LIGHTLY OR WHILE DRUNK IN VEGAS major.

Could be an interesting way for Humans to get artifacts though.  Dwarves make Level 7 (out of 10) Artifacts, Humans get stuff that starts at level 1 and can maybe eventually get to level 10 (each wielder can only add +1 level, maybe?) Levels are for power level comparisons, not actual numbers...

(Elves get them free but only level 4, Goblins make them out of slain enemies or for doing bad things, and Kobolds steal them ;))

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2009, 01:51:42 pm »

Alternatively the combat logs could be displayed in the individual dwarf's profile screen via a link beside the 'view kills' link or something like that. So it would be more associated with the specific dwarf doing the fighting, interface-wise.

shouldnt all this kind of stuff be engravable?

in granite of the year 495 urist mcuristurist the axedwarf battled gobby gob gob the goblin during the 12731678th siege of smellypeaks
urist stabbed gobby in the guts, gobby ripped off urists arm, urist decapitated gobby etc.

it all seems like the kind of thing that dwarves would "write" about, with the major points covered. would sure make for more interesting engravings than yet more masterful depictions of squares
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2009, 01:54:53 pm »

I had a thought for dwarf mode combat logs. Maybe if you want to watch a specific battle, you can pause with the screen centered on the battle, and then use the one step (.) option to move a turn. I don't know the relation between the game's turn, and the combatant's turn, so it's just a suggestion.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »

I had a thought for dwarf mode combat logs. Maybe if you want to watch a specific battle, you can pause with the screen centered on the battle, and then use the one step (.) option to move a turn. I don't know the relation between the game's turn, and the combatant's turn, so it's just a suggestion.

Or in-game control over the FPS to go into 'slow-mo' while a fight was going on...

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2009, 02:50:59 pm »

I'd do a search for this but I don't know what it might be called and haven't noticed anything referring to this in the wiki, but is there a way of customising what mineral discoveries cause a game pause state to occur (Also the notifications themselves possibly), as I'd like to be able to leave my dwarves to mining whilst I glance at some other program/website/uni-work/etc? For instance I might get several interruptions due to Alunite or Orthoclase (etc), though I'm quite happy to recieve interrupts for bauxite or gem tiles.
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2009, 03:43:03 pm »

I realize the "artifact through use" thing I threw out there would be kind of controversial; it's just an idea.

The reason I mentioned it is that it fits the flavor of actual real-world legends, where sometimes a weapon gets considered legendary because of the significance attributed to it through use, rather than who created it or how (which is already in the game to a high degree, although the implementation mostly isn't).

I mean, one thing I like is when "realistic fantasy" games like this try to replicate fantasy in an actual, deterministic manner. In the case of the idea I just mentioned, it's a way for weapons with extreme historical and legendary significance in the gameworld to actually have legendary characteristics.

But I definitely agree that this would be a really major flavor decision, and may or may not fit with where the game is going. If it would fit, though, there would quite plausibly be many potential ways to justify it in-universe, using whatever theoretical magical/spiritual framework gets devised.

Of course, tracking things like item usage during world generation would probably be quite a hassle, if feasible at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2009, 04:42:59 pm »

• Features spanning multiple world map squares

Hidden fun stuff?  ;D Hurrr hurr hurr

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1065