Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 [1058] 1059 1060 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3639340 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15855 on: March 31, 2010, 01:45:19 am »

I can't wait to make *Elf Brain Roast*.

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15856 on: March 31, 2010, 01:46:47 am »

I can't work out exactly how you would make a body material out of a specific metal or stone rather than METAL_TEMPLATE or STONE_TEMPLATE.

Rather than adding a material to the creature's material list (LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT), you just add a tissue and set its TISSUE_MATERIAL to whatever you want.  Usually TISSUE_MATERIAL uses something like LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:FAT, but you could use INORGANIC:LEAD instead.

.. oh neat.  So that's how that works.  So when I'm defining the tissues I can refer to inorganic materials that haven't been added the creature's material list?  Awesome.  Thanks, Footkerchief.
Also known as Zuhayr.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15857 on: March 31, 2010, 02:30:23 am »

Well, Toady already released a screenshot of the way butchering works now in that you will get every organ thats in there, poportional to size I think, so yea monkey heart stew is possible for example.

Yeah, but they don't seem to actually be distinguished from each other.

I might as well ask:

Toady, do you have any plans for eventually differentatiating the different edible/non-edible organs and tissues that we're going to get out of butchery (e.g. more non-food uses, scraps for animals, cultural views regarding eating or not eating certain parts, creature distaste for some parts, etc.)?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15858 on: March 31, 2010, 03:04:38 am »

Well, Toady already released a screenshot of the way butchering works now in that you will get every organ thats in there, poportional to size I think, so yea monkey heart stew is possible for example.

Yeah, but they don't seem to actually be distinguished from each other.

I might as well ask:

Toady, do you have any plans for eventually differentatiating the different edible/non-edible organs and tissues that we're going to get out of butchery (e.g. more non-food uses, scraps for animals, cultural views regarding eating or not eating certain parts, creature distaste for some parts, etc.)?
Non-edible? What parts of an animal are non-edible? Real dwarves just bite huge chunks out of animals, bones, skin, tendon and blood all mixed together. My prisoners are going to be living on hooves and teeth.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15859 on: March 31, 2010, 03:07:13 am »

Frankly I don't think that's really needed. Historically most of the parts of the butchered animal would be eaten, everything from the hooves to the nostrils. It's only in recent times that we've become picky about what parts we're interested in consuming, limiting our definition of edible to muscle tissue. Plenty of people still eat brains, livers, kidneys and so forth even today; have a look in your local meat section and no doubt you'll find these. You might find the idea of eating such tissues distasteful, but I doubt my dwarves share your culinary preferences.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15860 on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:32 am »

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE] is one of the few things that separates us from those freaks.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15861 on: March 31, 2010, 03:20:15 am »

My prisoners are going to be living on hooves and teeth.

A short, technical question:

In custom stockpiles, can butchered organs be separated? Ie, can we make a dedicated stockpile for, say, stomachs?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Siru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15862 on: March 31, 2010, 03:23:16 am »

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE] is one of the few things that separates us from those freaks.

But thankfully you can edit this in the raws.

And can't you set a variable range of ethics for the races? Like one dwarf civ may consider eating sapients unthinkable while the other dwarf civ across the sea are cool with it as long as it's sanctioned with the ruling class/priests they are cool with it?

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15863 on: March 31, 2010, 03:43:31 am »

Eduren meant the initial upcoming release.  I pretty much agree with him/her, although some raws stuff is likely to change soon after the release (namely venom).
Yeah that.

Also, him. But thanks for the consideration.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15864 on: March 31, 2010, 04:36:08 am »

Frankly I don't think that's really needed. Historically most of the parts of the butchered animal would be eaten, everything from the hooves to the nostrils.

Some organs are still poisonous, polar bear livers and the like.

Tbh, with the preferance list we don't actually need the dwarves to never eat these poisonous things. If the poisonous stuff is a very last resort and we are able to easily destroy food we don't want then we effectively mimic the way that sensible butchery would occur.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15865 on: March 31, 2010, 04:39:31 am »

In custom stockpiles, can butchered organs be separated? Ie, can we make a dedicated stockpile for, say, stomachs?
I really, really hope so.

Combined with burrows, you'd be able to set up much more efficient kitchens.

First floor: legendary chefs. Menu: beer biscuits, unicorn tallow roast and sunshine. Provender for legendary dwarves.
Ground floor: skilled cooks. Menu: plump helmet and deer meat stew. Provender for the workers of the fortress.
Basement: dabbling butchers. Menu: haggis, 24/7. Provender specifically for the use of nobles.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15866 on: March 31, 2010, 05:11:37 am »

I really, really hope so.

Combined with burrows, you'd be able to set up much more efficient kitchens.

First floor: legendary chefs. Menu: beer biscuits, unicorn tallow roast and sunshine. Provender for legendary dwarves.
Ground floor: skilled cooks. Menu: plump helmet and deer meat stew. Provender for the workers of the fortress.
Basement: dabbling butchers. Menu: haggis, 24/7. Provender specifically for the use of nobles.

I don't know if that's all going to fit easily in my signature, but I don't care.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15867 on: March 31, 2010, 06:28:37 am »

Will creature leathers have different values of defence. e.g dragon scales and leather being fireproof and stronger than cow leather. and can armor be decorated with creature items or metal scales that improve defence yeah influenced by monster hunter and the raws 8)

also

Will it be possible that based on a butchers skill level and size of a creature and how much of it's corpse thats still intact (nothing loped off) will we be able to get multiple pieces of leather from a creature over size 5?
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15868 on: March 31, 2010, 07:04:14 am »

Frankly I don't think that's really needed. Historically most of the parts of the butchered animal would be eaten, everything from the hooves to the nostrils. It's only in recent times that we've become picky about what parts we're interested in consuming, limiting our definition of edible to muscle tissue. Plenty of people still eat brains, livers, kidneys and so forth even today; have a look in your local meat section and no doubt you'll find these. You might find the idea of eating such tissues distasteful, but I doubt my dwarves share your culinary preferences.

And certain animals (such as pigs) lend themselves more easily towards total consumption. There's an old saying here in the southern US that "you can eat every part of a pig but the squeal". And yeah, brains (in milk gravy) and eggs is still a semi-common breakfast delicacy in the rural South. It's kind of like mushy sausage.

I doubt the cooking system is robust enough yet, but it would be nice to eventually see cooking methods tied to different parts. Tendons and bones aren't directly edible, but could be boiled to make stock, for instance--which would require an edible liquid, a heat source and a cooking vessel. That stock could constitute a meager food, or be used to make soups, which would be of higher quality. But then, I may be in the minority in wanting that level of detail in cooking. Me, I'd be thrilled to see a dwarven pastamaking industry based on cave wheat semolina. Hoary marmot ravioli FTW.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15869 on: March 31, 2010, 07:43:53 am »

o_o!

Thanks for that, Toady.

One fledgeling discussion that was somewhat relevant was lost in the purge: do you lot think it would be smarted to start modding immediately after release, or wait until it's stable?

would it be possible to make a custom workshop require a certain body part of a specific creature (say, a heart) or a whole living creature or at least the corpse of one?

I don't think you can demand a living creature, since a creature isn't an item, but since the custom workshops are an extension of the smelter reaction system, you should be able to use limbs or chunks.  I may be wrong about this, though.
Weren't we not going to get that many specific body parts until there were more uses for them anyway?

@Footkerchief: People have mentioned Dwarf Lung men before as an example as well.
Jeez....
A few of those are useless, but most can be eaten or otherwise used.

It's quite a bit of food, so the numbers might be tweaked, but the small critters also need to give you some food and elephants are very large, so it might end up being hacked up a bit from reality for balance purposes.

I'm not really sure of other special names. There are stacking/barrel size and hauling issues as well, and I'll adjust numbers and items as needed there as well. If that means randomly cutting several of the specialty food objects for each instance of butchery, that'll be fine for now, and they can come back once I tackle hauling after this release.
So I remembered it the wrong way but there may be some hindrance to stocking up on your strange part of choice.

I doubt the cooking system is robust enough yet, but it would be nice to eventually see cooking methods tied to different parts. Tendons and bones aren't directly edible, but could be boiled to make stock, for instance--which would require an edible liquid, a heat source and a cooking vessel. That stock could constitute a meager food, or be used to make soups, which would be of higher quality. But then, I may be in the minority in wanting that level of detail in cooking. Me, I'd be thrilled to see a dwarven pastamaking industry based on cave wheat semolina. Hoary marmot ravioli FTW.
As long as you can easily keep seven alive (happy being another matter) and require some forethought in order to feed a large fortress I don't think you'd be far off from what people want. Balancing it is the hard part.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 [1058] 1059 1060 ... 1065