Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3639229 times)

Nuclearjohnny

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15810 on: March 30, 2010, 03:30:18 pm »

The DF forums has an amazing diversity of users, from super geek girls to vikings.
Doesn't matter who you are, or where you are. Deep down, everyone loves dwarfs!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15811 on: March 30, 2010, 03:40:24 pm »

nah, deep down, everyone loves elfs, dwarves are for those that manage to grow out of their 13 year old fantasy fanboy mind

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15812 on: March 30, 2010, 03:54:19 pm »

In the DF talk about the underground, you mentioned a note reminding you to make good megabeasts not kill people on sight. Is that in for this version?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: March 30, 2010, 03:59:29 pm »

In the DF talk about the underground, you mentioned a note reminding you to make good megabeasts not kill people on sight. Is that in for this version?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010#Megabeasts_.28general_and_Titans.29
Titans in good areas will be benign/neutral to creatures.

This changelog is based on Toady's devlog so it must be mentioned somewhere in the devlog too.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:28:29 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15814 on: March 30, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »

So it seems generally acknowledged that the underground is going to be much more lethal now than in previous versions.  Also, there's now an EquipmentDwarf position to help designate armor assignments, etc.

This brings to mind an actual question that i don't think i've seen answered:

Can you assign your civilian dwarves armor that they'll continue to wear even if they're not "active" in the military?

Having your civilian dwarves wear leather clothing around seems like it could increase their survivability in a very reasonable way...  Anyone know?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #15815 on: March 30, 2010, 04:15:14 pm »

This changelong is based on Toady's devlog so it must be mentioned somewhere in the devlog too.

Wait! that cant be right, who are the titans going to terrorize? The goblins several regions away?
Wouldnt it be evil titans attacking anybody and neutrals attacking anybody who bothers them and actively protecting guys they like? While goodies attack evil like crusaders and protect only the good?

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15816 on: March 30, 2010, 04:16:55 pm »

Toady is working too fast to bother with announcements anymore. Lord knows we have to switch out his keyboards every few hours because they begin to melt, let alone all the psychics we have to keep draining of life energy to keep him nourished. 
To be fair, we'd be draining the psychics of life energy even if it wasn't necessary. It's just so fun!

Can you assign your civilian dwarves armor that they'll continue to wear even if they're not "active" in the military?

Having your civilian dwarves wear leather clothing around seems like it could increase their survivability in a very reasonable way...  Anyone know?
Iirc, off-duty soldiers can be assigned to normal, non-military labours, and you could make a yearly schedule with no active duty at all... but I'm not sure if they'd still wear armour and carry weapons.
Also, there could be "Urist has been upset by no patrol duty recently" type unhappy thoughts from that.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15817 on: March 30, 2010, 04:20:14 pm »

This changelong is based on Toady's devlog so it must be mentioned somewhere in the devlog too.

I believe I grabbed that info from one of the podcasts, actually. It was in the one with the giant shrimp. I believe he was careful to say that there won't be any allied or friendly critters, but they also won't attack you outright.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: March 30, 2010, 04:25:39 pm »

I believe I grabbed that info from one of the podcasts, actually. It was in the one with the giant shrimp. I believe he was careful to say that there won't be any allied or friendly critters, but they also won't attack you outright.

Basically they would be like the harmless animals such as mountain goats and groundhogs, except that the beneign titans would fight back if provoked, but otherwise wouldn't actively attack you.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15819 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »

Pretty much any animal will fight back if you annoy it enough. Good Titans are just more likely to make you remember it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15820 on: March 30, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »

One thing I wonder is if the speech text has been updated now that females don't have beards. For example, the adventurer text has such gems as:
whose beard was sparse and patchy
whose beard I wove into a funeral shroud
And the elf liaison also references beards in his insult text.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15821 on: March 30, 2010, 06:28:41 pm »

I'm a few weeks away from a degree in computer science, and NESdev (hi Quietust) is my big hobby, I'm at least as geek as anyone else here ;)
Girl in compsci? Dang, there's something horrendously wrong with you hidden away- my compsci friends have explained to me that this is a natural law with no exception.

Hey now, I'm a girl working in software development, as is my boss, and our build engineer. And that has nothing to do with the fact that there's something horrendously wrong with me.

Elf boobies > dwarf boobies.
That's with the sexualized image of elves. Much like lesbians they are usually less than visually striking outside of people's imagination.

...non-imaginary elves?

Wait, so there is something horrendously wrong with you, but that is not related to your profession? ;)

Actually, I'd say that just about everyone in CS is pretty nuts.  I certainly am; I re-engineered my keyboard to use a custom variant of Colemak with a reorganized number line with the symbols the primary function of the keys.  Voluntarily.

The anticipation is killing me...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:31:40 pm by LordZorintrhox »
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15822 on: March 30, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »

well, i'm a student of fine arts, and i gave up trying to get my girlfriend(also a fine artist) to play anything more complex than supertux or her nokia's snake

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15823 on: March 30, 2010, 06:42:04 pm »

With custom workshops will I be able to grind quartz into sand to make glass?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15824 on: March 30, 2010, 06:44:09 pm »

Wait, so there is something horrendously wrong with you, but that is not related to your profession? ;)

Yep.

Hey, did we find out if butchering sentients is still disabled in the new version?
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 1065