Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3639174 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15780 on: March 30, 2010, 11:25:38 am »

@abadidea
Man(Girl? no-one know on the webs) gorgeous and heck we need to upgrade visual fortress.

Heh and a girl with a artefact hammer? Either to many snatchers or a bad Girl/boy ratio in this fort.

The forms of burial are mostly a religious thing i think thought cultural aspects play into it too. Since we have undeads "living impaired" beings in df maybe dwarfs have apart from the fortress-guard a dedicated Graveyard guard. Burning/leaving too animals of the corpse or burying in grave-hills would be nice too.

I guess a graveyard-guard is obtainable by the new military screens.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #15781 on: March 30, 2010, 11:28:51 am »

@abadidea
Man(Girl? no-one know on the webs) gorgeous and heck we need to upgrade visual fortress.

Heh and a girl with a artefact hammer? Either to many snatchers or a bad Girl/boy ratio in this fort.

The forms of burial are mostly a religious thing i think thought cultural aspects play into it too. Since we have undeads "living impaired" beings in df maybe dwarfs have apart from the fortress-guard a dedicated Graveyard guard. Burning/leaving too animals of the corpse or burying in grave-hills would be nice too.

I am in fact a girl! And my bias shows in that I systematically favor female dwarves whenever possible; beardless is beautiful.  :P
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15782 on: March 30, 2010, 11:33:11 am »

Quote from: abadidea

I built a shrine to Osram, goddess of prosperity, suspended  above the water to thank her for my first fort worth more than a million  monies.

Osram? more a goddess of light if you ask me.

I googled it, and I see what you did there. But really, Osram is the worldgenn'd goddess of wealth in my DF world, and the goddess worshiped by my favorite champion, a 13-yo girl who took up the artifact warhammer The Persuasive Glacier after her mother selflessly died in battle.

http://mintaka.lynchburg.edu/melissa/doxa1.png (warning: 2MB) A 3D screenie of my canyon lake. The temple says "doxa", which is Greek for Glory, and is made of gold, silver, copper and bronze. There are several natural waterfalls and I built gardens and dining halls in the mist.

niiice
gave you a chance to stonesense? i would like to see comparison of these two viz tools
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15783 on: March 30, 2010, 11:36:54 am »

@abadidea

I am in fact a girl! And my bias shows in that I systematically favor female dwarves whenever possible; beardless is beautiful.  :P
Let's see... dwarfkind has produced Urist Borushdumat, HolisticDetective, and Tholtig Momuzidek Lelumdoren.  Dwarvern women are at least as metal as their men.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15784 on: March 30, 2010, 11:50:46 am »

Thats another thing that needs to go into df. Sexism - as "trait" and cultures that favor one sex over another. This could lead to some interresting things - if the player plays a fort with equal gender-rolls for example. Another example would be a female adventurer in a males favouring civ.

I wonder anyway if stuff like "Fast to anger" could change over time. Some of the traits are actually influenced by attitude so someone who spends some time with a philosopher or consoler could become more balanced.

Indeed and yay a girl listening to all that geek-stuff XD. And everyone else can mod that very easily. If you want it even easyer Toady could put stuff like Bearded females, gruesome acts and anything very controversal into the advanced worldgen screen as checkbox.

I am more for gender-equality but it makes glee everytime a woman stands her man. Dwarfen Valkyries to say so. Especially against the gobs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:03:21 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #15785 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:44 am »

I wonder if it's going to be a big enough deal that Toady will eventually make it a worldgen option or something. But in any case dwarven women are beardless by default in the next version, although Toady left in a handy note of how to change that for those that prefer them bearded.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15786 on: March 30, 2010, 12:20:35 pm »

I actually thought I'd invented that for a while.

Sigh.

Referring to magma burial? I think the concept goes way back. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34120.0 It does bear recycling once in a while though. Gotta get our DF-dwarf cultural norms created somehow.

A few months ago my duke went melancholy (I waited too long to give him a good bedroom and office) so by way of apology I decided to make for him the best tomb ever. It was a huge room carved out of the bottom layer, fully engraved, with a steel sarcophagus and five steel statues, sealed with a steel floodgate and, once he was dead and safely interred, opened to the magma pipe. It was both beautiful and humbling to watch the tomb slowly fill with magma.

And yes, the bones gradually become xbonesx and XXbonesXX and eventually disappear altogether, but I don't think this made anyone unhappy.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15787 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38:07 pm »

I prefer casting tombs in obsidian. To make the dwarves a part of the mountain. It's the highest honor obviously.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15788 on: March 30, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »

Hey, shouldn't the 40d merge be in red text, now that it's delayed?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15789 on: March 30, 2010, 12:46:32 pm »

Updating the List has also been delayed.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15790 on: March 30, 2010, 12:48:36 pm »

This is like the evil brother of the currently famous, "announcement of a countdown to an announcement"..."the delaying of saying that something is delayed"

Makes my head spin.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #15791 on: March 30, 2010, 12:59:50 pm »

Indeed and yay a girl listening to all that geek-stuff XD.

I'm a few weeks away from a degree in computer science, and NESdev (hi Quietust) is my big hobby, I'm at least as geek as anyone else here ;)

BTW I am planning on making a mod to add multiple human civs with the flavor of real ones, including my favorite, the Tocharians: a bunch of redheads who apparently followed the Silk Road from Europe to China and settled there and became Buddhists.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15792 on: March 30, 2010, 01:05:47 pm »

This is like the evil brother of the currently famous, "announcement of a countdown to an announcement"..."the delaying of saying that something is delayed"

Makes my head spin.

Toady is working too fast to bother with announcements anymore. Lord knows we have to switch out his keyboards every few hours because they begin to melt, let alone all the psychics we have to keep draining of life energy to keep him nourished. 

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15793 on: March 30, 2010, 01:07:13 pm »

Makes my head spin.

Toady is working too fast to bother with announcements anymore. Lord knows we have to switch out his keyboards every few hours because they begin to melt, let alone all the psychics we have to keep draining of life energy to keep him nourished. 
Little known fact: Toady bites the heads off of live carp for his meals. True story!
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15794 on: March 30, 2010, 01:28:59 pm »

As a matter of fact, there might be some truth in that. Toady ate lutefisk on his last christmas (I think), which is a very dwarfy example of IRL gastronomy.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1065