Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3639170 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15765 on: March 30, 2010, 06:57:48 am »

Won't work that way in the next version; features aren't auto-revealed anymore, exploration now remember.

Also, Toady has said that everywhere will have fun if you dig deep enough, so i suspect the funhouses are probably not small enough or localized enough for that kind of setup to really work.

Yes, all maps will have have around 100 levels now, so there will be space to have a whole level (or two) dedicated for a full-blown fun house.

The whole 100 levels thing is probably old news, but the idea of  this giant fort made from a (also giant) hole in the ground entered my mind. ;@_@

Like in this badly drawn image:

I believe there's a map on the map site thingy of at least one fort that is precisely this.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #15766 on: March 30, 2010, 08:05:41 am »

I suspect 'layers' are multiple z-levels in height, with bottomless pits and magma pipes extending all the way to ground zero obviously.

I want to build a fort next to/in a river plunging into a hole to a lower level. :)

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15767 on: March 30, 2010, 08:10:59 am »

I suspect 'layers' are multiple z-levels in height, with bottomless pits and magma pipes extending all the way to ground zero obviously.

I want to build a fort next to/in a river plunging into a hole to a lower level. :)

It's very undwarvenly to expect that to occur naturally.

What you want is a river flow innocently on the surface, and a pick...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #15768 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:14 am »

It's very undwarvenly to expect that to occur naturally.

What you want is a river flow innocently on the surface, and a pick...

This is exactly what I have (naturally) in my best fort. Two rivers merging and dropping something like 7 z-levels into a natural lake canyon. I built a shrine to Osram, goddess of prosperity, suspended above the water to thank her for my first fort worth more than a million monies.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15769 on: March 30, 2010, 08:22:27 am »

That sounds awesome. The best thing I got were two rivers that met. :X
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15770 on: March 30, 2010, 08:58:34 am »

I am now constantly on edge.  As much as he said it would take about a week, that "about" keeps echoing in my head.  Whenever I'm away from a computer I keep thinking that DF may have been released and want to rush over to a computer to check.

Fake green.
The only thing that would be on par with the awesomeness would be if Toady personally flew to my house and taught me how to factor so I won't inevitably fail my math class.

And obviously Scamps loved DF too if he keeps fullscreening it so he can see it better.  And he's not scratching the computer case for attention, he wants to get in so he can become a megabeast.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15771 on: March 30, 2010, 09:19:17 am »

No suspect about it: Toady said you can change how many z levels each layer is in the world gen settings.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15772 on: March 30, 2010, 09:34:51 am »

Let's see... we've got up to 911k views in a couple of days. Huh. We might make it after all.

"When a million apes watch this thread, the Game shall become the messenger of Fun and destroy the spiral forum!"

Actually thats true because toadys work made said apes unemployed. ;) ((s)he who gets the refference gets a cookie from my firs custom workshop)

Quote from: abadidea

I built a shrine to Osram, goddess of prosperity, suspended  above the water to thank her for my first fort worth more than a million  monies.

Osram? more a goddess of light if you ask me.

Anyway i am looking forward to the UG-Animal-men. That nasty buggers will be as dangerous as the HFS if not so thought. These Buggers got these hilarious poisons now and iirc the blowgun is back. A stealthed rat-man stabbing innocent minners in the back with a poisonous dagger must be very shocking especially if your dwarfs find that poor sap. And who nows what kind of war-critters they use. Like: "Urist olon was devoured by a giant war-wolf-rat"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:51:39 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15773 on: March 30, 2010, 09:50:49 am »

Quote from: Toady
Elsewhere in the animal kingdom, Momuz the three-eyed marmot demon fooled the humans into believing she was their skeletal goddess of death, and she took over their civilization after threatening them with violence. The town's local warlord apparently didn't like this arrangement, because he asked me, the elven adventurer, to kill her. I found her sleeping in a little hovel in the early morning and hacked her to death in her sleep, but the humans weren't grateful and tried to kill me! How rude.

Geez... I can't be more excited to get new version to my hands!
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #15774 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:38 am »

I actually thought I'd invented that for a while.

Sigh.

Referring to magma burial? I think the concept goes way back. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34120.0 It does bear recycling once in a while though. Gotta get our DF-dwarf cultural norms created somehow.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15775 on: March 30, 2010, 10:55:34 am »

It just occured to me that with xbows no longer OP in the next version, dealing with fire clowns or anything similar (like fire men and magma men) is going to become quite difficult.
You could use an undermagma ballista torpedo.
For some reason I read this as "blastedo".

Blastedo is now my word.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #15776 on: March 30, 2010, 10:55:50 am »

Quote from: abadidea

I built a shrine to Osram, goddess of prosperity, suspended  above the water to thank her for my first fort worth more than a million  monies.

Osram? more a goddess of light if you ask me.

I googled it, and I see what you did there. But really, Osram is the worldgenn'd goddess of wealth in my DF world, and the goddess worshiped by my favorite champion, a 13-yo girl who took up the artifact warhammer The Persuasive Glacier after her mother selflessly died in battle.

http://mintaka.lynchburg.edu/melissa/doxa1.png (warning: 2MB) A 3D screenie of my canyon lake. The temple says "doxa", which is Greek for Glory, and is made of gold, silver, copper and bronze. There are several natural waterfalls and I built gardens and dining halls in the mist.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15777 on: March 30, 2010, 11:14:04 am »

It just occured to me that with xbows no longer OP in the next version, dealing with fire clowns or anything similar (like fire men and magma men) is going to become quite difficult.
You could use an undermagma ballista torpedo.
For some reason I read this as "blastedo".
Blastedo is now my word.
Will anyone take a "ballpedo" word? ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15778 on: March 30, 2010, 11:14:16 am »

Is steam going to be lethal again? I want to parboil elves. :<
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15779 on: March 30, 2010, 11:22:16 am »

No it's not lethal yet iirc.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1065