Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3639117 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15750 on: March 30, 2010, 02:48:02 am »

Yeah, sure, easy. I guess if you're going to die you might as well enjoy a good steam first.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15751 on: March 30, 2010, 02:57:27 am »

It just occured to me that with xbows no longer OP in the next version, dealing with fire clowns or anything similar (like fire men and magma men) is going to become quite difficult.
You could use an undermagma ballista torpedo.
Easy peasy! just flood the place!
I was thinking of this, actually.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: March 30, 2010, 03:03:07 am »

I was just thinking how even when i deployed the most insane defense i could think of involving hordes of marksmen and ballistas with kitten decoys, i still lost half a dozen dwarves to thrown fireballs.

And collapsing the funhouse probably isn't viable anymore, since it's likely the funhouses are alot more spread out now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15753 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:34 am »

I was just thinking how even when i deployed the most insane defense i could think of involving hordes of marksmen and ballistas with kitten decoys, i still lost half a dozen dwarves to thrown fireballs.

And collapsing the funhouse probably isn't viable anymore, since it's likely the funhouses are alot more spread out now.
There's a relatively simple method for handling the deep fun, a method I call the "gandalf maneuver". It involves leading all the fun stuff up a few dozen levels into a small room. The room is perched above a chasm and suspended by a single support. As soon as all the fun is in the room you sever the support and send the fun back to the depths from which it came.

screaming YOU SHALL NOT PASS! as you do so is optional but recommended. 

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: March 30, 2010, 03:34:18 am »

TBFH though, Floorspikes are the bane of all Clowns.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: March 30, 2010, 03:40:33 am »

There's a relatively simple method for handling the deep fun, a method I call the "gandalf maneuver". It involves leading all the fun stuff up a few dozen levels into a small room. The room is perched above a chasm and suspended by a single support. As soon as all the fun is in the room you sever the support and send the fun back to the depths from which it came.

screaming YOU SHALL NOT PASS! as you do so is optional but recommended. 

How do you get all the fire clowns to stick around in the one room? They tend to zoom around while invisible and not go anywhere unless they can maul the crap out of someone.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15756 on: March 30, 2010, 03:49:05 am »

I wonder if something like "Project:Firelid" could be accomplished. Essentially, since all natural stone falls down intact when collapsing, you could make a giant slab of rock several levels thick situated above your funmetal mining facilities, suspended on a (few) support(s). If the clowns break loose, pull the level and the lid will collapse, sealing the clowns again so you can then stripmine everything around their location. Maybe carve fortifications too, to make a great attraction for fireproof tourists.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15757 on: March 30, 2010, 04:11:47 am »

actually, carving fortifications is a great way to to expose the funhouse with no risk to the rest of your fort.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: March 30, 2010, 04:24:27 am »

actually, carving fortifications is a great way to to expose the funhouse with no risk to the rest of your fort.

Fire Clowns seem to enjoy tossing fireballs through my fortifications.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: March 30, 2010, 04:28:47 am »

be that as it may, after the first fortification, you now know the exact layout of hte cavern, so you can just carve around the rest of it

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15760 on: March 30, 2010, 04:46:24 am »

Won't work that way in the next version; features aren't auto-revealed anymore, exploration now remember.

Also, Toady has said that everywhere will have fun if you dig deep enough, so i suspect the funhouses are probably not small enough or localized enough for that kind of setup to really work.

Also considering that we do now have endless underground monster spawns, it seems likely that we'll also have endless clown spawns.

Basically, i suspect that getting at the good stuff is going to be a bloody nightmare in the next version.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15761 on: March 30, 2010, 05:25:11 am »

Also considering that we do now have endless underground monster spawns, it seems likely that we'll also have endless clown spawns.
So with some carefully planned tunnelling, you can keep both busy by engineering the endless Clown Vs Monster war, and nicking the fun while they're pre-occupied!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15762 on: March 30, 2010, 05:34:44 am »

what did you mean by that question?
like, all of the squad has their left eye amputated for badass-ness?
There's already a system for recruiting horribly maimed and combat-useless dwarves; it's called the Royal Guard.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: March 30, 2010, 05:57:41 am »

Won't work that way in the next version; features aren't auto-revealed anymore, exploration now remember.

Also, Toady has said that everywhere will have fun if you dig deep enough, so i suspect the funhouses are probably not small enough or localized enough for that kind of setup to really work.

Yes, all maps will have have around 100 levels now, so there will be space to have a whole level (or two) dedicated for a full-blown fun house.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: March 30, 2010, 06:49:48 am »

Yes, all maps will have have around 100 levels now, so there will be space to have a whole level (or two) dedicated for a full-blown fun house.

The whole 100 levels thing is probably old news, but the idea of  this giant fort made from a (also giant) hole in the ground entered my mind. ;@_@

Like in this badly drawn image:

Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1065