Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3639009 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15675 on: March 29, 2010, 11:44:11 am »

hehe with so many linguistics in this thread i am sure toady will let us check if anything that sounds German or whatever has a correct explanation and is in the right context.

Also i suggest that someone adds the "Did do the research"-trope to the TV-tropes page of df regarding DFs community and toady respectively. Not only for the various discussions in this thread but also for some of the projects that have started here.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:54:39 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15676 on: March 29, 2010, 12:38:36 pm »

This question will be a little moot once the new version is released so I won't green text it and let anyone who has any thoughts on it respond.  I've been going over the changes in the first post and I'm finding that I only understand what a handful of the changes do.  I know we can expect new map features such as large caverns and I pretty much know what's going on with the new health care system.  Burrows are pretty straight forward.  Let's see, there's going to be poisons.  The skills/attribute stuff just looks like tweaking to me.  Same with sites and entity positions.

I guess what I'm asking here is can someone who has a better understanding come up with a general overview of the changes so we can get a better perspective of what's going into the new release?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15677 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:11 pm »

I guess what I'm asking here is can someone who has a better understanding come up with a general overview of the changes so we can get a better perspective of what's going into the new release?

Much of the stuff that looks like tweaking or is not exciting or obvious is groundwork for the other changes. For example, for hospital dwarves to work, you need better RAWs to describe the parts of the body better so you can do wounds more accurately.

Other sections are moving things that were hardcoded in the game engine into the RAWs, which makes the modders very happy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15678 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »

Theres the "creatures are made up of materials now instead of just parts" thing.  And that makes creature bodies more detailed and should help prevent magic arrow syndrome, as well as allowing more complex creature modding.

Theres the castes thing, which also allows more complex creature modding and allows individuals from the same species to have differences. (like male dwarves having beards, females by default not, or other examples of in species dimorphism)

Individuals will also have varying size and things like strength and agility relative to the average, which will have slight influence on combat.

More complex descriptive info for civ creatures, and basic descriptions of all other creatures when [l]ooked at.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15679 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:48 pm »

As I remember it Merlin's parentage involved a demon raping a human woman in an attempt to sire the antichrist, but the mother realized what was going on and brought the infant to a convent, where the nuns taught him to use his powers for good instead of evil. I suppose this probably inspired the origin story of Hellboy as well.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15680 on: March 29, 2010, 01:19:00 pm »

Theres the "creatures are made up of materials now instead of just parts" thing.  And that makes creature bodies more detailed and should help prevent magic arrow syndrome, as well as allowing more complex creature modding.

Theres the castes thing, which also allows more complex creature modding and allows individuals from the same species to have differences. (like male dwarves having beards, females by default not, or other examples of in species dimorphism)

Individuals will also have varying size and things like strength and agility relative to the average, which will have slight influence on combat.

More complex descriptive info for civ creatures, and basic descriptions of all other creatures when [l]ooked at.

There's also a lot of smaller and larger fixes and additions that stack up to pure awesome, like enabling fortress combat logs, making the logs more detailed, burrows, new materials system, the underground, random mega/forgotten beasts, healthcare, teaching dwarves, military overhaul and so on.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15681 on: March 29, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

Breath weapons aren't an attack, methinks. You can make them inject several different poisons, maybe, but I'm not so sure about the breaths.

I asked Toady about this awhile back, he said you can give them as many breath attacks as you want.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15682 on: March 29, 2010, 01:36:03 pm »

This question will be a little moot once the new version is released so I won't green text it and let anyone who has any thoughts on it respond.  I've been going over the changes in the first post and I'm finding that I only understand what a handful of the changes do.  I know we can expect new map features such as large caverns and I pretty much know what's going on with the new health care system.  Burrows are pretty straight forward.  Let's see, there's going to be poisons.  The skills/attribute stuff just looks like tweaking to me.  Same with sites and entity positions.

Well, there's always this list detailing all the changes. That seems like it could help you.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15683 on: March 29, 2010, 01:41:14 pm »

As I remember it Merlin's parentage involved a demon raping a human woman in an attempt to sire the antichrist, but the mother realized what was going on and brought the infant to a convent, where the nuns taught him to use his powers for good instead of evil. I suppose this probably inspired the origin story of Hellboy as well.

I think I remember being taught back in school that it was a sort of virgin birth, brought on from drinking from a haunted well or something. It was a catholic school so I can see why they would want to de-emphasize the "spawn of satan" aspect of the story, but I'm not entirely sure that this was an improvement.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15684 on: March 29, 2010, 01:51:06 pm »

Well, there's always this list detailing all the changes. That seems like it could help you.

There is DFWiki page containing the same list. I find it easier to read and generally nicer.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15685 on: March 29, 2010, 01:52:48 pm »

will caverns be more than one story?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15686 on: March 29, 2010, 01:54:54 pm »

From the screenshots we have seen yes. I'll try and find them, provided someone doesn't beat me to the punch.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15687 on: March 29, 2010, 01:57:17 pm »

From the screenshots we have seen yes. I'll try and find them, provided someone doesn't beat me to the punch.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_2009.html
Look at devlog entries from 04/13/2009 and 04/18/2009.
:P
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15688 on: March 29, 2010, 01:58:13 pm »

Since dwarf's appearances have been updated, will their appearance be brought into legends mode? If not will it eventually? Maybe it would record notable clothing choices of important figures? Like a king who will only wear green pigtail trousers?
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15689 on: March 29, 2010, 02:01:18 pm »

Since dwarf's appearances have been updated, will their appearance be brought into legends mode? If not will it eventually? Maybe it would record notable clothing choices of important figures? Like a king who will only wear green pigtail trousers?

There will be favorite items, but I think the only way those will show up in legends is if they are used to kill someone or something.
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1065