Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638846 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15585 on: March 28, 2010, 12:13:30 pm »

I'm still waiting for the scamps megabeast.

It adopts every member of your fort the second it enters the map and becomes part of your civ. Then it proceeds to slaughter everyone one at a time, mercilessly - and your military and traps are rendered useless. You can't do anything but scream as death stares you in the face, DARING you to defy a murderous megabeastsplosion.

But enough about version 1.0.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15586 on: March 28, 2010, 12:34:55 pm »

I'm still waiting for the scamps megabeast. Do you know how much bigger that behemoth is then those little smiley faces?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15587 on: March 28, 2010, 12:55:43 pm »

Hmm...

Is it possible to give certain castes restrictions on what jobs they can do? I'm thinking of making a civ that has a caste of partially-sentient collectors, and rarer and smarter crafters/nobles/etc, as well as a brainless warrior caste.

Nope:

Quote from: Footkerchief
The current version's entity defs have a PERMITTED_JOB tag, but it's unclear whether the next version will allow you to use that on a caste-specific basis, like PERMITTED_JOB:MINER:FEMALE and PERMITTED_JOB:CARPENTER:ALL. 

There's nothing like that at this point.

Couldn't he make the warrior caste by making them non-sentient and giving them the PET and TRAINABLE tags (or something), and then train them in the kennel? You'd still need a sentient "commander" for them to follow, but that might make it more interesting.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15588 on: March 28, 2010, 01:03:38 pm »

In response to "smallest UMPC capable of running DF": http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2007/03/27/Sony-Micro-PC-Vaio-VGN-UX1XN/p1

Yes, you can buy about seven UMID M1's for its price. But it is smaller, while having the same specs. ;)

Let's see, Sony Weird Thing's dimensions, 150x95x35 = 498,750 cubic millimeters

UMID mbook m1: 161x96.5x18.1 = 281,210.65 cubic millimeters

Thinness is worth something, the UMID is VERY slightly wider but only half as thick ;) And way cuter.
Indeed, much cuter. I'd rather rather have a pink netbook that can fit in my back pocket than something that looks like a glorified smartphone.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15589 on: March 28, 2010, 01:12:10 pm »

could a trainable pet also be able to equip?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15590 on: March 28, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

green is for questions, not requests ::)

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15591 on: March 28, 2010, 01:17:57 pm »

I think that is possible to create a noble caste...but not restrict jobs to some castes

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15592 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:08 pm »

green is for questions, not requests ::)

Yes, and greenwatering is asking if this will be a feature in the new version. I believe the answer's no; haven't read otherwise anywhere.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15593 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:53 pm »

In response to "smallest UMPC capable of running DF": http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2007/03/27/Sony-Micro-PC-Vaio-VGN-UX1XN/p1

Yes, you can buy about seven UMID M1's for its price. But it is smaller, while having the same specs. ;)

Let's see, Sony Weird Thing's dimensions, 150x95x35 = 498,750 cubic millimeters

UMID mbook m1: 161x96.5x18.1 = 281,210.65 cubic millimeters

Thinness is worth something, the UMID is VERY slightly wider but only half as thick ;) And way cuter.
Indeed, much cuter. I'd rather rather have a pink netbook that can fit in my back pocket than something that looks like a glorified smartphone.
Why would you carry a netbook in your back pocket?

And I got nothing against glorified smartphones, indeed my current "cellular brick" is only a little smaller than that Sony monster, and I carry it on my belt without problems. One has to wonder why DIDN'T Sony add smartphone functionality to a device so small... I've seen actual "smartphones" larger than that.

Anyway, yes, I agree that it's not "actually" smaller. But I don't think you can actually play DF on the go with the M1 mbook. Not even taking into account the lack of a numpad.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #15594 on: March 28, 2010, 01:23:17 pm »

I think the landed noble might be a noble with certain requirements, since we can't enlarge the fortress it's probably wealth or population based. Contrast to appointed nobles?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15595 on: March 28, 2010, 01:56:18 pm »

What does Toady mean by 'landed' nobility?
I think the landed noble might be a noble with certain requirements, since we can't enlarge the fortress it's probably wealth or population based. Contrast to appointed nobles?

I think Jones had the right of it:
If it's the traditional sense, then he means nobility that comes with deeds of land. So, that would be something like the count or baron, as opposed to say the hammerer.
Quote from: zagibu
Don't ask how many times I've accidentally spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15596 on: March 28, 2010, 02:02:01 pm »

Hmm...

Is it possible to give certain castes restrictions on what jobs they can do? I'm thinking of making a civ that has a caste of partially-sentient collectors, and rarer and smarter crafters/nobles/etc, as well as a brainless warrior caste.

Nope:

Quote from: Footkerchief
The current version's entity defs have a PERMITTED_JOB tag, but it's unclear whether the next version will allow you to use that on a caste-specific basis, like PERMITTED_JOB:MINER:FEMALE and PERMITTED_JOB:CARPENTER:ALL. 

There's nothing like that at this point.

Couldn't he make the warrior caste by making them non-sentient and giving them the PET and TRAINABLE tags (or something), and then train them in the kennel? You'd still need a sentient "commander" for them to follow, but that might make it more interesting.

actually i was wondering if this would even be possible. like, have a animal pet, then train it to be specifically a heavy armor axwielder. this seems like it would be really hard to program, i don't know?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15597 on: March 28, 2010, 02:37:45 pm »

That is nothing new. Stop scaremongering! :)

....back on topic...

What does Toady mean by 'landed' nobility?

Is it national level as opposed to local political positions?
If nobody would stop them I bet they would be happy to let old windows stop turning on after a particular date.

-

It's the ones that haven't been set adrift at sea.

if its a dual core it's using 100% of one core, df isnt able to use both cores

Yea, thats makes sense. My comp is dual core. I guess the resource management is better on Windows 7.
If it's the same machine how the hell was it going up to 100% of both cored back on vistah?
Rahgrahhah

I know that in the DF2010 version statues will have art associated with them. Will this include being able to have statues of gods show up?
I thought they were just getting "of _____" thrown on the name, with that being the same kind of stuff that went in engravings. Get ready for your stockpiles to fill with statues of clouds and squares before you get a god~

Now its doing the 100% thing, I guess it just needes some time to organize the CPU or dunno.
Better explanation: how much other crap have you got running at the same time?

Quote from: From Devlog
Momuz the three-eyed marmot demon

I really hope the demons are more imaginative than this because all I'm evisioning from that description is a giant marmot with three eyes, and probably with vicous claws and fangs. But even then, that demon fooling the humans into thinking it was their skeletal goddess of death just doesn't quite connect. Unless they are as stupid as our dwarves are most of the time, but even then....

Also, the fact that Toady was able to kill her, in her sleep, without a fight, is extremely anticlimatic.
They probably run the gambit with "dinky" little hell-animals ranging up to divinity-class demons. It won't be easy to print off a description for you that gives much distinction between a little rat with a badger's temperment and light demon magics and a twisted mound of flesh that once might have looked like a hoary marmot but now has so many horrifying orifices of unfathomable purpose as to be unrecognizable as even something mammalian, and that being before you even consider the many other anatomic features.

If you wanted to do it a little bit like I just did now you could dial up the relevance of those features so they just didn't appear for comparably low class demons. In this case I was talking more body parts so it would get more complex actually having extra mouths and things but for hellish qualities in the fur and appendages that were already there it would all be descriptor anyway.

But ya, killing powerful things when they aren't going to fight back doesn't fit the classic epic type story, except that it does. In a later arc Toady could probably have an apparition appear afterward that talks about how you just killed some lowly vessel the entity wasn't all that invested in if they were "too good" to be killed like a mortal would be.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15598 on: March 28, 2010, 02:50:39 pm »

Well, I do have a bunch of FF windows open along with DT, so yea that could do it.

Anyways, as far as the SMP Seesaw thing, I noticed just now that the pro version of the program is in the start menu and when I click that, it works. Haven't tried messing with the CPU thing just yet.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15599 on: March 28, 2010, 03:18:28 pm »

All "impersonations" succeed, regardless of what the demon/randomized critter actually looks like. It's a placeholder system until more meaningful interaction between the two entities can be meshed out. Besides, they aren't convincing them that they ARE a god, just a manifestation. Marmots are kinda skinny, you know?

...well...
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 1065