Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638605 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15495 on: March 27, 2010, 01:17:55 pm »

Silly, Linux has WINE, so it should have no trouble playing the windows version.
(yeah, MAC has boot camp, but... not the same, really)
I don't know if there are issues using boot camp to run DF so this needs more explanation to mean anything to me.

Unless I am very mistaken, Boot Camp requires you to have a copy of windows to install.  WINE, OTOH, just works (aside from, you know, having to be compiled and have settings tweaked on a per-game basis...) and you don't need a copy of windows to make it so.  So I mean it's not the same because you need a copy of windows.

though one person's already said that since you asked me to clarify, and apparently WINE can run on OSX anyway...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15496 on: March 27, 2010, 01:20:46 pm »

You could run x86 linux in a virtual machine, and in there run wine :p

You can't run x86 programs on a powerpc or powerpc programs on an x86 without emulation. As far as i know, most virtual machines don't emulate that way.

Macs are pretty decent nowadays. Back in the PPC days though, you couldn't run anything made for windows at all. It's one of the reasons I'm still a windows junkie: of all operating systems, it supports the biggest share of the programs I want.

You could use QEMU, which supports emulating quite a few architectures, including x86.

Well, on my PPC mac i got "Virtual PC" which allows me to play old PC games just fine (like jagged alliance 2 for example) But it would probably run DF at 1 or 2 FPS...

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #15497 on: March 27, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »

It's torture. I am moving on the 1st of April. And probably won't have internet for atleast 1-2 weeks.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15498 on: March 27, 2010, 01:40:57 pm »

It's torture. I am moving on the 1st of April. And probably won't have internet for atleast 1-2 weeks.
Friend with the internet and a memory stick.  Else, you shall surely go insane. 
where is up?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15499 on: March 27, 2010, 03:04:40 pm »

April Fools?

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15500 on: March 27, 2010, 03:42:49 pm »

You could run x86 linux in a virtual machine, and in there run wine :p

You can't run x86 programs on a powerpc or powerpc programs on an x86 without emulation. As far as i know, most virtual machines don't emulate that way.

Macs are pretty decent nowadays. Back in the PPC days though, you couldn't run anything made for windows at all. It's one of the reasons I'm still a windows junkie: of all operating systems, it supports the biggest share of the programs I want.

A virtual machine is often an emulator too.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15501 on: March 27, 2010, 04:13:17 pm »

How long until temperature works properly, so you can heat a water pipe in magma and make it feed a noble's shower?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15502 on: March 27, 2010, 04:52:26 pm »

How long until temperature works properly, so you can heat a water pipe in magma and make it feed a noble's shower?

You mean working properly as in baking alive any dwarf that comes within twenty feet of magma?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15503 on: March 27, 2010, 04:57:07 pm »

Silly, Linux has WINE, so it should have no trouble playing the windows version.
(yeah, MAC has boot camp, but... not the same, really)
I don't know if there are issues using boot camp to run DF so this needs more explanation to mean anything to me.

Unless I am very mistaken, Boot Camp requires you to have a copy of windows to install.  WINE, OTOH, just works (aside from, you know, having to be compiled and have settings tweaked on a per-game basis...) and you don't need a copy of windows to make it so.  So I mean it's not the same because you need a copy of windows.

though one person's already said that since you asked me to clarify, and apparently WINE can run on OSX anyway...

Taking a step back these are all the same thing anyway. Us being too stupid to handle different software doesn't make the computers inherently different and the hardware differences vanished ages ago.

I feel that's a good effigy to bury the topic with in order to sort of force people to go along with that I have to bring up how a lot of people will have a near unresistable urge to argue with it. It's just that it won't do them any good because I'm sated so they'll have to go find someone else to pick a fight with if they really must talk about it.

Go download it at a library or something. Everyone's got at least one flashdrive these days right?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15504 on: March 27, 2010, 05:07:15 pm »

Taking a step back these are all the same thing anyway. Us being too stupid to handle different software doesn't make the computers inherently different and the hardware differences vanished ages ago.

I feel that's a good effigy to bury the topic with in order to sort of force people to go along with that I have to bring up how a lot of people will have a near unresistable urge to argue with it. It's just that it won't do them any good because I'm sated so they'll have to go find someone else to pick a fight with if they really must talk about it.

I can see why people would want to argue with you on that point...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15505 on: March 27, 2010, 05:19:11 pm »

You mean working properly as in baking alive any dwarf that comes within twenty feet of magma?
I mean when it spreads enough that it doesn't dissipate within one map tile. A water pipe submerged in magma could get hot enough to boil, so the noble would get a blast of superheated steam and 90-or-so-degree water when he turned on his shower.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15506 on: March 27, 2010, 05:22:20 pm »

So what is next after this release? What I mean is, what is Toady going to work on when this release is out and reasonably bug-free?
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15507 on: March 27, 2010, 05:24:33 pm »

So what is next after this release? What I mean is, what is Toady going to work on when this release is out and reasonably bug-free?

After this release, the next series of shorter releases will be made up of, in no set order:
1) Improved sieges against your fortress
2) Adventurer skills/entity stuff, per the dev next stuff
3) Eternal suggestions voting stuff

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #15508 on: March 27, 2010, 05:25:47 pm »

I stopped playing back around Christmas when it felt like the release was gonna be any day now, but about two weeks ago I got my vigour back and have been running 3x3 fortresses on what I believe is the smallest device in the world capable of playing DF, an UMID mbook 1 from Korea, it's about the size of an NDS  ;)
How's your FPS on that? never heard of a such a tiny laptop like that before.

It starts out at the limit of 100FPS and tends to drop to ~30 once things really get going, which is officially "plenty playable enough for me." Yes, I know how to trick out Windows XP for performance and yes, the Koreans make some high-quality micro-size computers ;)
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15509 on: March 27, 2010, 05:26:33 pm »

Ideally once we have a stable-enough release, he'll be able to take a break. The poor guy's been working practically every day for like a year and a half. I hope my release day donation goes towards a day at the beach with a professional masseuse or something. Or a toy for Scamps.
Pages: 1 ... 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 ... 1065